Thread: Winter tire comparisons, including rolling resistance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Winter tire comparisons, including rolling resistance.

I thought those of you who live in cold climates may be interested in this page that reviewed 10 winter tires. I got an awesome deal on some Hankook icept w616 winter tires a few years back from discount tire. They were a new design at the time, so had no reviews or tests. I've never owned winter tires before, so am not sure if they are good or bad (they are a HUGE improvement over the stock all seasons though, not surprisingly). Periodically I search for reviews to see how they rate, and this is pretty much the first test that came up.
    https://alltyretests.com/hankook-win...6-test-review/

Short version: ranked low in wet and dry situations, and quite good in snow and on ice. However, they surprisingly ranked #1 in fuel economy!

So for you other fuel mileage nuts, this might be a good tire to consider if you need winter tires. I've been happy with them. They help a lot in the winter, and after 3 seasons (maybe 15-18 thousand miles) they aren't showing much wear at all. I would absolutely buy another set of these. They tend to be $60-80 on discount tire, and Hankook often has rebates too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Assume you are using 175/65r14 size snow tires?

Hankook snow tires are very affordable. Discount Tire
    offers 21 snow tires in the 175/65-14 size, & these are the cheapest ones, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 10-31-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Interesting.

I just bought a like new set of Hankook winters on rims. They are last years model so they might not be the same. I notice it's a big tire they are testing, with, I'm guessing, substantially different characteristics from the smaller tires in that model.

This is something for our resident engineer to address.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    When I ran Goodyear Viva 3s in 175/65-14 during the summer and Pirelli SnowControl Serie 3s in 165/65-14 during the winter, my mpg actually went UP a little with the snow tires.

I actually wasn't too surprised. The Pirellis are the correct size. Plus, the Pirellis are LRR and the Goodyears aren't.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    One good thing about living in the salt belt is the abundance of winter tires, close to brand new, for peanuts. The going rate around here for name brand winter tires, ie. Michelin, Pirelli, on rims is about $150, $100 gets you winters on rims from Hankook, Dunlop, GT Radial, etc.

$50 gets you bald Wang Bang Tangs on Salvador Dali type wheels.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes Mark, 175/65/14 is correct. Slightly wider than stock tired, and I know it is recommended that winter tires are skinnier than stock. Still, I've never gotten stuck with them in 3 winters and this week am getting 46mpg (as per ultraguage tank average) driving in mixed dry/snowy weather, 25-35 degrees fahrenheit, at 55-60mph average highway driving and some city roads. I'm happy with these tires!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emki View Post
    Yes Mark, 175/65/14 is correct. Slightly wider than stock tired, and I know it is recommended that winter tires are skinnier than stock. Still, I've never gotten stuck with them in 3 winters and this week am getting 46mpg (as per ultraguage tank average) driving in mixed dry/snowy weather, 25-35 degrees fahrenheit, at 55-60mph average highway driving and some city roads. I'm happy with these tires!
    175/65-14 tires are used by many forum members, because it's a very common size in the States.

Just a fyi - simpletire.com has your 175/65-14 Hankook icept w616 for $68.97/tire with free shipping tonight. For anyone interested in a LRR snow tire, these may be worth checking out. That's not a bad price for a quality snow tire.

https://simpletire.com/hankook-p175-...SABEgIf3PD_BwE

Tire prices fluctuate. Sometimes, it best to jump on a deal when you see it!