Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's your biggest regret when it comes to cars?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Nope, I figured I had another year before looking for another vehicle. Wife got impatient traded in the car I was driving now I'm on the hunt. And there are no $3-4000 Mirages to be found. Yet. So I'll get a beater that hopefully I don't lose too much money on until I find a cheapo special Mirage.
    right on. well then, there is another 3 cylinder, all wheel drive, 5 speed or cvt micro car! its the old used subaru justy!! its justy what the doctor ordered

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I should have kept my '88 Pontiac Fiero Formula. It was a super fun car that I got for next to nothing from a local wrecking yard. Ironically, it had suffered an engine fire. The fire melted the distributor, plug wires, most of the engine wiring harness, and most of the vacuum hoses, but it did no damage to the body or paint. The wrecking yard even let me rewire the engine right there in their shop. Once I replaced everything I fired the car up and drove it home.

Mine was a very tidy, low-mileage, one owner car in bright red with a manual transmission, tan cloth interior, and a sunroof. Completely stock. Had working AC and new tires. From what I have learned since then, the '88 was the best-of-breed for Fieros. GM completely redid the suspension on them so they finally handled as good as they looked. Mine cornered like a cat on shag carpet.

Then, in true GM fashion, they killed off the car the following year. It was identical to this one.

Last edited by Cobrajet; 11-02-2019 at 10:16 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-02-2019),inuvik (11-02-2019),MetroMPG (11-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Biggest regret is selling my '85 VW Cabrio.

I also miss my left-handed Epiphone SG guitar.

Right out of boot camp in San Diego, 1985 I bought a new Kramer Baretta. Then I traded it for a very used Gibson SG, which I foolishly traded on a Jackson stray. Would love to have the Baretta and SG back, just to play again. Not for the resale value. Currently have a EVH Wolfgang special and love it.
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 11-02-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I should have kept my '88 Pontiac Fiero Formula.
    Was that the V6 model?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I should have kept my '88 Pontiac Fiero Formula. It was a super fun car that I got for next to nothing from a local wrecking yard. Ironically, it had suffered an engine fire. The fire melted the distributor, plug wires, most of the engine wiring harness, and most of the vacuum hoses, but it did no damage to the body or paint. The wrecking yard even let me rewire the engine right there in their shop. Once I replaced everything I fired the car up and drove it home.

Mine was a very tidy, low-mileage, one owner car in bright red with a manual transmission, tan cloth interior, and a sunroof. Completely stock. Had working AC and new tires. From what I have learned since then, the '88 was the best-of-breed for Fieros. GM completely redid the suspension on them so they finally handled as good as they looked. Mine cornered like a cat on shag carpet.

Then, in true GM fashion, they killed off the car the following year. It was identical to this one.

They are such a beautiful car. Styling unmatched by anything else North American, and most of the European cars also. Sporty, well equipped, affordable. What's not to like? I've lost count of the number of clean Fieros I used to see sitting in front yards with for sale signs on them. Price, $500 in many cases. The Pontiac division was miles ahead of the rest of GM. GTO, Fiero, Aztek, impressive lineup.

It was unforgivable the US .gov ordered Pontiac, and not useless Buick, shut down.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    It was unforgivable the US .gov ordered Pontiac, and not useless Buick, shut down.
    I liked Pontiac over Buick also, but this Jalopnik article answers the question:

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopnik
    Why did GM kill Pontiac and Hummer and sell Saab, but keep GMC and Buick? The answer is that the first three were not profitable and viable in the marketplace, while the last two were. It's really pretty simple. GM knew that, but it took their taxpayer-funded saviors to get them to euthanize some of their flagging brands.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-02-2019 at 02:49 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    My biggest regret was dumping a bunch of money into a 2004 Subaru Outback H6 3.0. Ill never go Subaru again, theyre reliability is overrated IMO. I only had a 140k and every sensor went out, the cat converter fried, and it was leaking oil constantly. Not to mention because it was a bixer style flat 6 it was a ***** to work on costing me extra labor costs. I ended up selling it for $1300 because the new cat converter costs $3000 alone to repair. Also AWD is expensive when you have to replace all 4 tires to match a new one you purchased because of a flat.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Was that the V6 model?
    Yessir!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    They are such a beautiful car. Styling unmatched by anything else North American, and most of the European cars also. Sporty, well equipped, affordable. What's not to like? I've lost count of the number of clean Fieros I used to see sitting in front yards with for sale signs on them. Price, $500 in many cases. The Pontiac division was miles ahead of the rest of GM. GTO, Fiero, Aztek, impressive lineup.

I got mine in '97 or early '98. Nobody wanted anything to do with Fieros then, as they had developed a mostly undeserved bad reputation. Really nice ones could be had cheap. Especially ones that had tried to incinerate themselves!

I had an 86' fiero. It had the crappy tech 4 2.5l and a 4sp iirc. Was a 2m4 model. Didn't keep it for long. One of the guys at work here had a fiero with a 305 in it mated to a factory fiero standard transmission. I'll have to see if I can find some pics of it. It looked totally stock.

The only Justy I saw in person was in the back of the junkyard I worked at. Was in decent shape too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)