Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what's your biggest regret when it comes to cars?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

what's your biggest regret when it comes to cars?

I have several but the most notable are

1. Turning down a FREE 1968 Shelby GT500 convertible.

2. Thinking a cheap 1970 hemi Challenger convertible would last past the weekend. (I was the first to call, I had dibs. it was all of 5 miles from me)

3. Selling my 1970 Boss 429 Mustang.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I regret 90% of my vehicle purchases. But I regret buying not selling lol.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Wow - those are some pretty big missed opportunities!

I regret not selling all my Metros when people were paying stupid prices for them last time gas prices spiked?

There was a time when random strangers would knock on the door and ask if they were for sale.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Wow - those are some pretty big missed opportunities!

I regret not selling all my Metros when people were paying stupid prices for them last time gas prices spiked?

There was a time when random strangers would knock on the door and ask if they were for sale.
    They sure are. But I like to think even though I blew those opportunities it's partly offset by things like me buying a '63 split window Vette for $500, I've acquired and sold 8 392 marine hemis just for hauling away the wooden boats they were in, and I made out OK selling pre 60's Stratocasters in the 10's, which were bought in the 70's for peanuts. There's always going to be regrets. I made many RE mistakes, offset by a few wise/lucky choices. In the end though it doesn't make any difference, we all know that.

On with the discussion!

Are people still driving Geos on a daily basis? I don't see any myself other than pretty clean examples in the summer months.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My biggest regret when it comes to cars? It's all the money I've spent.

It's why I appreciate my Mirage - I don't feel that I've thrown money away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I regret 90% of my vehicle purchases. But I regret buying not selling lol.
    and you still don't have a mirage?

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One of my regrets was putting about $3800 into rebuilding the top-end on a 3.5L Intrepid because the timing belt gave up (the rest of the car was immaculate and rust-free so I felt justified), then selling it a few thousand miles later for $2500 because I was afraid it was going to start falling apart and costing a lot more.

Another was when I bought a ZX2 that had some minor bumper damage in the front for $1900, discovered the whole rad support was pushed back like 3 inches. Also blew the head gasket like 10kmi later. That was a fun car and I'd totally get another one if it was in better condition and a 5-speed.

The biggest one though is probably selling my dad's 99 Ranger for $3000 because I couldn't stomach spending $1100 on a sending unit, then buying it back from the guy about a year later for $3300, and finding a lot of hacked up stuff in it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    and you still don't have a mirage?
    Nope, I figured I had another year before looking for another vehicle. Wife got impatient traded in the car I was driving now I'm on the hunt. And there are no $3-4000 Mirages to be found. Yet. So I'll get a beater that hopefully I don't lose too much money on until I find a cheapo special Mirage.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't have many regrets. Things are what they are. However ...

When I was 17 I almost bought a 1987 VW Scirocco 16V. It was cheap, it was awesome, it was quick. However, my mother insisted that it have a zero deductible on insurance, which made it like $3,000 a year to insure.

I would also say that I made several bad financial decisions with regards to new cars. I bought a new 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 (that may have been a mistake in itself). It was very problematic, and I ended up trading it in on a used 1998 Honda Civic (which was a much better car despite it being stolen). However, I took an absolute bath on the Focus. I think I paid $16,000 for it, and I think I got about $8,500 for it as a trade in one year later. Young and dumb. I should've just held onto it.

Additionally, I traded in my 2010 Suzuki SX4 (AWD, 6MT) on a 2012 Subaru Forester when I learned Suzuki was pulling out of the U.S. market. I still wish I had that car; it was pretty much everything I wanted, and we didn't particularly enjoy the Forester (we traded it on a 2013 WRX).

But again, there's no use for me to do "coulda, woulda, shoulda." FYI, I sold the WRX outright, picked up the Mirage, and pocketed a bunch of cash. So it's all good.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-01-2019),inuvik (11-01-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Biggest regret is selling my '85 VW Cabrio.

I also miss my left-handed Epiphone SG guitar.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-01-2019)