Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Making the switch to 175 65 r14 Barum Brillistas today.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm really not impressed with today's vehicle, & I'm amazed at what people are willing to pay for them.
    Off topic I know but............what people pay!!!! OMFG!!!

Shelby Mustang, $95K US
    Nissan Armada, $87K - Canadian
    Honda Civic , $31K - this was the go to car before Hyundai hit it big, Canadian
    Ford Explorer, $67K - Canadian

I've obviously been living on a different planet as I had no idea car pricing had gone this insane.

I'm quite a happy guy with my $12k brand new Mirage, I was happier with my $10.5k brand new SE Mirage but oh well

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm really not impressed with today's vehicle, & I'm amazed at what people are willing to pay for them.
    Off topic I know but............what people pay!!!! OMFG!!!

Shelby Mustang, $95K US
    Nissan Armada, $87K - Canadian
    Honda Civic , $31K - this was the go to car before Hyundai hit it big, Canadian
    Ford Explorer, $67K - Canadian

I've obviously been living on a different planet as I had no idea car pricing had gone this insane.

I'm quite a happy guy with my $12k brand new Mirage, I was happier with my $10.5k brand new SE Mirage but oh well

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Bad weather is always where cheap tires show their cost. Especially since I see it billed as a summer tire.
    In my experience cheap tires will often outperform more expensive tires, especially in snow. Price is not a good indicator of how good a tire is in bad weather.

It's not uncommon for cheap tires to have a more open tread pattern and softer rubber compound, which actually enhances their performance in snow. In contrast a more expensive tire (like the Dunlop Enasave) may have a somewhat tight tread pattern and the rubber doesn't seem as pliable during cold temperatures.

A cheap all-season tire may not outperformed a dedicated snow tire, but it may do a much better job in snow than a more expensive all-season tire (with its high mileage warranty or LRR characteristics).

The trade off is that a cheap tire may wear out faster much like a snow tire used during the summer months.

Thus, I wouldn't bash a tire because it is cheap & claim it must be terrible in bad weather. Dirk's new treads may not last him 70,000-80,000 miles or give him the mpg of a LRR tire. At their affordable price, however, they may serve his tire needs quite well.

I look forward to Dirk's future reports (good or bad), because we call all take something away from that!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-21-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The Enasaves, and presumably other LRR tires are extremely hard yielding very poor grip. So silica is added to provide the needed traction. I agree cheap tires can provide amazing value under the right conditions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The Enasaves, and presumably other LRR tires are extremely hard yielding very poor grip. So silica is added to provide the needed traction. I agree cheap tires can provide amazing value under the right conditions.
    This is an interesting claim. Where did you get your information that the Enasaves are 'extremely hard' and are using silica for traction?

I don't know much about tires or the compounds and materials used. I thought silica is basically sand?

Is adding sand to tire compunds like having winter snow tires with studs?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

NO!

According to a paper on this issue in the journal Rubber World: “The use of silica can result in a reduction in rolling resistance of 20% and can also improve wet skid performance by as much as 15%, substantially improving braking distances at the same time. Silica also provides substantial benefits in winter tires and all-season tires. Compounds using silica are more elastic and flexible at lower temperatures, allowing better grip and braking during wintry weather.”

Taken from -

https://www.tirereview.com/silica-siping/

The use of siping & adding silica to tires has made a huge impact on tires in recent year. The above article does a good job of explaining both.

I am most familiar with Cooper tires, and they have been making tire improvement claims because of silica for some time now. You will now see terms like "silica" in their tire descriptions.

Cooper’s Evolution H/T, which earlier in the year was named a New Product Award winner at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas, is an all-season highway tire offering quality performance, superior handling and a comfortable ride. Among the tire’s features is Cooper’s proprietary 3D Micro-Gauge™ siping to help maintain wet traction and stability as well as a silica compound to improve grip and handling in both wet and dry conditions and to displace heat to keep the tire cooler. The silica compound also helps shorten braking distance and improve fuel efficiency. The Evolution H/T is quiet, with tread elements uniquely positioned to minimize tire noise, and its tread profile provides even wear and long tread life. The tire also boasts strong hydroplane resistance due to wide water channels that efficiently evacuate water from the tread area. The Evolution H/T offers at 60,000-mile warranty and is available in 28 popular sizes.

You do get what you pay for sometimes, & siping/silica compounds in higher grade tires have improved overall tire performance (especially in the areas of LRR & added traction).
    Last edited by Mark; 11-14-2019 at 02:58 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Ha!

Mark, I was kidding.

Maybe I should make jokes more obvious...

But thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-13-2019 at 11:30 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Since Ive broken them in, the road and tire noise has come down some. Yesterday I had to drive on a wet gravel road to pick up a passenger, the tires did well with grip. If I had my old bald Potenzas I might of gotten stuck. Still though the trade off is Im paying $3 to $4 dollars more at the pump. My mpg rarely goes over 38. So, its a trade off for sure.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is an interesting claim. Where did you get your information that the Enasaves are 'extremely hard' and are using silica for traction?

I don't know much about tires or the compounds and materials used. I thought silica is basically sand?

I never bothered to bookmark the site and therefore I can't cite the facts as stated.

See what I did there?

But it makes sense. Silica is also glass which as we know can also be very sharp, cutting into things.

Doh! Mark covered it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-13-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Well after another 1000k miles I must say the tread is still substantial and hardly looks worn. The Barum makes a damn fine cheapo tire IMO. The potholes, cracks, steel road plates, are all absorbed better than my old Potenzas. Still though I miss netting 45 mpg city without having to try and the Barums handle just ok in bad weather. As long as Im not driving like jerk, they handle inclement weather fine, but any sort of emergency manuver on ice or pouring rain, I could be in trouble. All in all its the ride comfort that I love the most with these 175s. I keep them at only 35psi and they seems to jell well with the squishy suspension my 2014 has. Im in the def minority here though, enjoying the soft, body roll, cloud like feel.