Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Making the switch to 175 65 r14 Barum Brillistas today.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Well after another 1000k miles I must say the tread is still substantial and hardly looks worn. The Barum makes a damn fine cheapo tire IMO. The potholes, cracks, steel road plates, are all absorbed better than my old Potenzas. Still though I miss netting 45 mpg city without having to try and the Barums handle just ok in bad weather. As long as Im not driving like jerk, they handle inclement weather fine, but any sort of emergency manuver on ice or pouring rain, I could be in trouble. All in all its the ride comfort that I love the most with these 175s. I keep them at only 35psi and they seems to jell well with the squishy suspension my 2014 has. Im in the def minority here though, enjoying the soft, body roll, cloud like feel.
    I have older Potenza's on my 2014 Mirage, I find they do get you great fuel economy, and they do handle the road better than the original dunlop 165's that came with my Mirage new. My Dunlops just went bald as they got old, whereas my Bridgestone Potenza's are getting small cracks, but keeping thread. Mostly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    My mpg rarely goes over 38. So, its a trade off for sure.
    I know Mitsubishi recommends 35 psi, but I never follow that. Daily temperatures will impact tire psi, especially during the winter months. It's better to have a little extra air in your tire than not enough.

I look at tire pressure as more of a range. 35 psi would be the bottom of that range and the maximum tire pressure stamped on the tire itself would be the maximum. For many tires, that's 44 psi. If you feel your new tires are impacting your mpg that much, I would try adding a bit more air. I typically put about 40-42 in my tires, & I don't consider that overinflated. Over-inflated is going beyond the maximum psi stated on the side of the tire.

If I purchase Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires (maximum 51 psi tire) some day, I will bump my psi to 45+. I would probably start with about 48 psi with a tire like that.

Temperatures really vary in Wisconsin. It might be -20F one week & 40+F the following week. I would rather my tires fluctuate in that upper range (above 35 psi), & I wouldn't expect great mpg with tires fluctuating in a range of 35 psi or less.

I know some people are really stuck on having their tires near manufacturer recommended psi, but you can surely do some extra. I will use another source that somewhat describes what I am saying here, too.

"2017 Mitsubishi Mirage tire pressure fluctuates with ambient temperatures, so when temperatures drop tires may lose approximately 1 psi of air pressure for every 10 degree Fahrenheit decrease in temperature. During winter 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage tires can be inflated 3 to 5 psi above the recommended tire pressure settings to compensate for lower temperatures. Never overinflate above psi indicated on tire sidewall. Make sure to check tire pressure regularly in the winter to keep tires properly inflated for a safe ride on snow and icy roads. Consult owner's manual for recommended winter tire pressure for 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage."

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I know Mitsubishi recommends 35 psi, but I never follow that. Daily temperatures will impact tire psi, especially during the winter months. It's better to have a little extra air in your tire than not enough.

I look at tire pressure as more of a range. 35 psi would be the bottom of that range and the maximum tire pressure stamped on the tire itself would be the maximum. For many tires, that's 44 psi. If you feel your new tires are impacting your mpg that much, I would try adding a bit more air. I typically put about 40-42 in my tires, & I don't consider that overinflated. Over-inflated is going beyond the maximum psi stated on the side of the tire.

If I purchase Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires (maximum 51 psi tire) some day, I will bump my psi to 45+. I would probably start with about 48 psi with a tire like that.

Temperatures really vary in Wisconsin. It might be -20F one week & 40+F the following week. I would rather my tires fluctuate in that upper range (above 35 psi), & I wouldn't expect great mpg with tires fluctuating in a range of 35 psi or less.

I know some people are really stuck on having their tires near manufacturer recommended psi, but you can surely do some extra. I will use another source that somewhat describes what I am saying here, too.

"2017 Mitsubishi Mirage tire pressure fluctuates with ambient temperatures, so when temperatures drop tires may lose approximately 1 psi of air pressure for every 10 degree Fahrenheit decrease in temperature. During winter 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage tires can be inflated 3 to 5 psi above the recommended tire pressure settings to compensate for lower temperatures. Never overinflate above psi indicated on tire sidewall. Make sure to check tire pressure regularly in the winter to keep tires properly inflated for a safe ride on snow and icy roads. Consult owner's manual for recommended winter tire pressure for 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage."
    Thank you Mark. As always, you are my tire guru! I miss Fummins, he was my CVT guru. Top Fuel is my axle guru, CobraJet my fellow delivery/performance guru.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The Barum is a popular tyre brand in the mid-price segment in Europe. It is a good buy by the stricter European standards.

Looking at the pix of Dirk's tyres, I would think they would last a lot longer with 2.9 bar / 45psi and rotation every oil change or so, which is what I do. That way you get 40 to 60 000km out of a set of tyres, depending on how you drive and on what sort of roads.
    Last edited by foama; 12-21-2019 at 05:14 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-21-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The fact that Continental owns Barum and its a German company sold me on them too. Now that theyre broken in the mpg has improved too. If ride comfort is a priority, I highly recommend these tires. The absorption of impact is fantastic, especially with potholes/speedbumps. Also considering my front alignment is good and only my back left is slightly out of spec, the tread wear has been solid.