Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Making the switch to 175 65 r14 Barum Brillistas today.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    It's been called Hongcouver for ages, Asian money has driven prices into the stratosphere. I've a buddy living there who just sold his bungalow for close to $2M. He paid ~$110,000 in the early 90's thinking it might some day be worth $200k. It is a wartime house, ~700 sq. ft, basically unimproved over the years. It will be demolished and a 4,000 sq. ft. 2-3 story house will take the place.

The divide is insane and it's because money and debt are now interchangeable. It's dangerous when debt is a fungible a item as cash. The world is awash in debt and at some point it has to be repaid, or repudiated. I read somewhere 7 million Americans have decided to stop paying their car loans. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...6PZWUE7Rsod-lR
    I looked at Vancover on google maps its completely surrounded by state parks and the ocean. With just a sliver of usuable land. You'd think they could clear out some forest for affordable housing?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I looked at Vancover on google maps its completely surrounded by state parks and the ocean. With just a sliver of usuable land. You'd think they could clear out some forest for affordable housing?
    I doubt that will ever happen. I'll let someone more familiar with the Hongcouver NIMBY crowd address why the greenspace will remain greenspace. I do know a town 20 miles north just kiboshed a proposed affordable housing development of 540 homes. The town council preferred a stone mine on the property rather than a place for regular people to live.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    That's the spirit old bean!

I can't believe Ontario has more brutal conditions, than say, Fargo. Is that ND? I dunno. Speaking of Suzuki you won't find any Sidekicks or Samurais from the 90's still alive. They all rotted. I'm not, by any stretch, advocating Gm as rust proof vehicles, but at the end of the day the Asian cars from the 80, 90s, and in some cases 00s and beyond are rusting so badly they are being recalled before they fail structurally and kill someone, if they haven't already. I'm not aware of any NA designed/built cars recalled for the same reasons. If someone can point out it has happened I'd like to read about it.

I'm guessing that high mileage Mirages driven in salty conditions would be demonstrating generous rust if they were prone to it. My experience is if a car will be pre-disposed to rusting it surfaces within the first 3 years or so. I've also noticed if a car can be driven a lot quickly, much like my 239,000 km '14 and many of the Mirages Fummins looks after, without showing signs of rust chances are it will go on for many more years without any severe degradation from rust.

Modern cars have come a long way from when our 1970 Ltd wagon, brand new in October of 1969, lost the spare tire on the highway in March of 1970 because the well had rusted completely away in a 6 month span!. It was crap like that which the US Feds to act and insist on a corrosion warranty from the automakers.
    I know someone that still drives his Suzuki Sidekick around town, & it doesn't look all that bad to me. It surely looks better than most everything else from that era, & I am quite sure he uses the vehicle year round. I would take a 2000-05 Honda or Toyota product over anything on the market today.

I'm really not impressed with today's vehicle, & I'm amazed at what people are willing to pay for them.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I know someone that still drives his Suzuki Sidekick around town, & it doesn't look all that bad to me. It surely looks better than most everything else from that era, & I am quite sure he uses the vehicle year round. I would take a 2000-05 Honda or Toyota product over anything on the market today.

I'm really not impressed with today's vehicle, & I'm amazed at what people are willing to pay for them.
    Dodge Demon, $85,000, Nissan Armada $85,000 etc.etc. It's madness. I never thought I'd live to see the day an SUV would be $100,000 CDN OTD, all taxes and whatnot in.

Insanity.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Update on the Brillantis 2s

After 500 miles my mpg is starting to creep back up to 40mpg! I cant stress the difference in handling and road noise vs my old bald Potenzas. Of course those same Potenzas were netting me 45mpg on avg with the pot holes around here I just knew it was a matter of time before they blew. The Brillantis 2s absorb shock much better, the meat on these cheapo tires is substantial. Ive yet to see their performance in bad weather however.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-11-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Update on the Brillantis 2s

After 500 miles my mpg is starting to creep back up to 40mpg! I cant stress the difference in handling and road noise vs my old bald Potenzas. Of course those same Potenzas were netting me 45mpg on avg with the pot holes around here I just knew it was a matter of time before they blew. The Brillantis 2s absorb shock much better, the meat on these cheapo tires is substantial. Ive yet to see their performance in bad weather however.
    Bad weather is always where cheap tires show their cost. Especially since I see it billed as a summer tire.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Bad weather is always where cheap tires show their cost. Especially since I see it billed as a summer tire.
    Discount tire has them listed as all Season tires?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Dirk thanks for going out on a limb with these tires and sharing your findings.

Do you still think they ride ok?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-11-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    According to all but one Mirage owner on the reviews section of Discount Tire, the Brillistas2 handle well in snow and rain. Theyre considered all season/touring tires.Name:  Screenshot_20191111-102051.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  78.9 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    All season as its stamped M+S which all tires are these days.

Manufacturer itself labels it a summer tire, hence my concern on their site.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)