Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ontario now has an Autobahn!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Ontario now has an Autobahn!

My province is testing increased speed limits on our version of interstate highways, our 400 series of roads. For the most part our 400 series are 8-10 or more lanes in urban areas and no less than 4 lanes out in rural country, all of these lanes divided by medians, barriers, or both. These roads were constructed with speed limits of 75 mph in mind. We were imperial while these roads were being built.

I heard that because some stretches of the system were iffy for 75 mph speeds so 62 mph (100km/h) was chosen for the entire system. Madness. Limiting the speed on the better parts because a rural stretch in the middle of nowhere was a little crappy was insane. This was told to me by a planner who worked at the Ministry of Transportation. He was a personal friend.

Fast forward to now. The test is in 3 areas. Two are, IMO, pretty remote to me. The 3rd one is the highway I use all the time to head west then northeast into Toronto. So how fast has the government decided to try out?

The blazing speed of 110 km/h. A whopping 10 km/h (6 mph) increase. Ugh. They must be kidding. Now where did I put my track certified helmet?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I was driving on the 402 earlier today. Many drive at 125 now, but almost nobody goes 140+... well except the Americans

The freeways from Port Huron to Flint Michigan are 75 mph speed limit now. I recall when the NY Interstate was 55 mph. And people kept at 55. Michigan it's a bit more Autobahn driving style. Maybe a it's state by state basis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I was amazed when my road trip through Michigan was allowed to go 75 mph on the interstate. Equally amazing was 60 mph limit on a two lane non divided semi rural roadway.

I too remember 55 mph everywhere in America.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I was amazed when my road trip through Michigan was allowed to go 75 mph on the interstate. Equally amazing was 60 mph limit on a two lane non divided semi rural roadway.

I too remember 55 mph everywhere in America.
    I have said it before, and I will say it again: I would prefer to drive in the Detroit metro area ANY day, to Toronto.

I could not pinpoint the exact thing that makes Michigan driving easier.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Ahh Canadians, such innocence. Down here in the dirty south its not considered driving unless your doing 80 in a 55mpg, whilst eating a double whopper with cheese and getting some road head, all at the same time my friend. 'Murica.Name:  2d2.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  38.8 KBg

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    And yes thats a "Miami sling" dual leather shoulder holster for 2 macro 10 submachine pistols.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    On Southern Ontario autobahn's near me, half the drivers ARE Americans lol. Our roadie habits ain't that different

I always play "name the plate" - today I saw Maryland and 3 Michigan's. Usually NY state is in there. They take the short cut from Port Huron to Buffalo, and beyond. That's out of 8 cars total so we are talking like up to 50% US drivers.

The best times is when you see a newer vinyl-roof American sedan, that wasn't for sale in Canada. I love those cars.
    Last edited by dspace9; 11-04-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Ahh Canadians, such innocence. Down here in the dirty south its not considered driving unless your doing 80 in a 55mpg, whilst eating a double whopper with cheese and getting some road head, all at the same time my friend. 'Murica.Name:  2d2.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  38.8 KBg
    that was funny!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    On Southern Ontario autobahn's near me, half the drivers ARE Americans lol. Our roadie habits ain't that different

I always play "name the plate" - today I saw Maryland and 3 Michigan's. Usually NY state is in there. They take the short cut from Port Huron to Buffalo, and beyond. That's out of 8 cars total so we are talking like up to 50% US drivers.

The best times is when you see a newer vinyl-roof American sedan, that wasn't for sale in Canada. I love those cars.
    In the summer it's hard for me to see an Ontario plate with all the Americans coming to the Falls. Now, for the most part, they are very considerate drivers. For the most part on the highway they drive at or under the limit. There is always a cowboy or two that hammers it on our highway but the highway cops here don't tolerate any nonsense in the summer.

Ontario speed limits are the lowest in the civilized world. Even our cops are reluctant to ticker someone unless they go 25 mpg or more over the limit.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    In the summer it's hard for me to see an Ontario plate with all the Americans coming to the Falls.

Yea most Americans drive the same as Canadians, or even better. I never have an issue with the American drivers.

I drive fast enough myself for sure, so it is good I have a Mirage. Keeps my own speed limits more reasonable.