Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ontario now has an Autobahn!

The speed limit on all divided highways I drive on in Alberta is 110kph/70mph. Single lane are mostly all 100kph/60mph. Gravel roads are usually 80kph/50mph. Parts of the coquihalla in BC are 120kph/75mph which is the highest limit I've seen in the few parts of Canada I've been to. But they seem to have crazy strict speeding laws in bc ironically. Out here I typically don't get bothered unless going 15-20km over unless there's a speed trap, then you're pretty much screwed for going 10 over.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if the average driver pays attention to their speed though. I think the "speed limit" of 70-75mph (112-120kph) is 'normal' for rural areas. Even around here (Minnesota, USA).

I think it's insane that I've driven to Chicago and back home a few times and on the stretch of I90, I'd say maybe 4 out of 10 drivers are going 90-100mph (160kph). Yes.. 100mph. I don't think people realize how fast and dangerous those speeds are. They just know that they're getting to their destination a tad bit faster. I think your average driver doesn't think about the dangers of that speed, they just 'know' the faster they're traveling, they faster they'll get to their destination instead of thinking about how dangerous those speeds are.

if these numbers are accurate (from google), it's insane how fast your travel per second at 160 kph.
    100 mph (160kph) = 146 ft/second
    80 mph (128 kph) = 117 ft/second
    70 mph (112 kph) = 102 ft/second
    62 mph (100 kph) = 91 ft/second

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The speed limit on all divided highways I drive on in Alberta is 110kph/70mph. Single lane are mostly all 100kph/60mph. Gravel roads are usually 80kph/50mph. Parts of the coquihalla in BC are 120kph/75mph which is the highest limit I've seen in the few parts of Canada I've been to. But they seem to have crazy strict speeding laws in bc ironically. Out here I typically don't get bothered unless going 15-20km over unless there's a speed trap, then you're pretty much screwed for going 10 over.
    You find your Mirage yet? It'll be awsome when you got one. I still cant believe your job wont let you work something out for a 2015 with over 150k miles on it. Id lean on them if I could.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You find your Mirage yet? It'll be awsome when you got one. I still cant believe your job wont let you work something out for a 2015 with over 150k miles on it. Id lean on them if I could.
    I don't know if I'd want a Mirage that had been only driven 150K+ Km or miles for that matter by delivery drivers with no regard to abuse regardless of how inexpensive it might be. A former rental car would be pampered compared to a delivery fleet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

There are a few drivers that take pretty good care of the vehicles. They don't get rid of anything really except old mazda trucks that have paid for themselves many times. I've been offered those and just haul them away for scrap.

These car's cost next to nothing to maintain, why sell them and buy new ones if they still work? I get selling them while they're still worth something and starting to fall apart and costing lots of money to keep on the road but that hasn't happened yet. I'll have a never ending supply of cvt's as there's at least 2-3 wrecks a year that aren't worth repairing that we end up buying from the insurance company for parts. The only parts we ever have to buy new are the front bumpers and rad supports as they're the most common part to get damaged. There are vehicles with over 800k kms that should probably be replaced before the Mirages.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)