Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm not saying Mirages are thousands less than Sparks. YOU are the one that stated (post #78) Sparks are a couple thousands more than Mirages, & I don't believe that is true at all. I only compare manuals. I never look at automatic vehicles, especially vehicle with a CVT. Thus, I am comparing apples to apples (manuals only) every time I do a search. If I search the two cars at the same time & sort by lowest price, I see Sparks first (& the Spark manuals are 2020 models already).

Reviews of what customers are actually paying for Sparks seem to reflect some of the deals that others are expressing about Mirages. I don't think there is a huge price advantage for either vehicle, & that is my point I guess.

Prices listed on cars.com, autotrader.com, & kbb.com are somewhat useless. The listing of Mirages is no better than any other brand/model. I wouldn't visit any dealership without knowing their OTD price first, because I value my time.

Some people seem very happy with their Sparks, but I don't personally know anyone that owns one. The Sonic is more common in my area, and I do have some friends that own them. They are diehard GM customers, however. If they have a GM card, they don't even consider anything else.

I am not a brand loyalty type of person. I bought a Mirage, because new ones could be had for $9,000-9,500 at the time. That price applied to everyone. Other rebates (loyalty customer, veteran, etc.) were added on top of that. Once I confirmed the Mirage was somewhat reliable & quite economical to own, I bought one.

Adding more standard features (raising the price of the Mirage) each year hasn't made the Mirage more appealing to me. Car critics driving top trim level GT models and only stating MSRP prices aren't doing this car justice. It took some work on my part to discover the Mirage. Two years later, I'm still not aware of decent Mitsubishi dealership in Wisconsin. I keep saying this, and no one ever points one out to me either.

Despite all that, the Mirage is holding its own, & I have one in my garage. Personally, I think it has done quite well. If the same powertrain carries over into the next generation Mirage, I will be even more impressed. It seems like that may happen, too!

I don't need to pick on the Spark to feel good about my Mirage. I think a highly discounted Mirage or a good used one is a great value!
    I didn't say the best deal you could get on a Spark was thousands more I said the KBB price was more.

The whole point of this thread is to compare the drawbacks and if we regretted the choice. Listing the facts is anything but picking on the Spark. I am one of the first people to criticize Mitsubishi for poor choices.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I treat Spark owners like Im in West Side Story. I pull a switch blade on them and do a dance number, Jets vs Sharks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

precisionxt (06-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I didn't say the best deal you could get on a Spark was thousands more I said the KBB price was more.

The whole point of this thread is to compare the drawbacks and if we regretted the choice. Listing the facts is anything but picking on the Spark. I am one of the first people to criticize Mitsubishi for poor choices.
    2019 Mirage ES manual KBB fair market value is $13,360 tonight.

2020 Spark LS manual KBB fair market value is $13,432 tonight.

A Spark LS may be more basic, but I like how the Spark is marketed. All 4 trim levels come standard with a manual transmission, & Chevy dealerships are everywhere. I am not interested in a GM product (especially a Daewoo product) at any price, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I can get a Spark 2LT in red with a manual transmission and a power sunroof. Mitsubishi has really cut down on the engine/trans/trim combinations since 2015, so GM will at least have my attention when it is time to replace my Mirage. I have heard the newer Sparks don't have the problems the early ones did.

That said, I will probably buy another Mirage. It has just been an outstanding little car.

Sadly there is some truth to this Attachment 15914
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-15-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not with GM's pathetic warranty & well known quality issues of their older Korean made products.

Combine that with my prior experiences with previous GM small car products (Cobalt / G5 / Ion) trying to kill me & self destructing, not especially.

The new Spark is a looker though, hopefully it's long term reliability is better than the first few GM Korea products.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 06-17-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does anyone else think the 2020 Mirage and Spark look very similar? Not sure who's copying who...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    Does anyone else think the 2020 Mirage and Spark look very similar? Not sure who's copying who...
    You can Uber in a Mirage, you cant in a Spark.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20200525_082440.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  95.9 KB

I'll be honest with you: I rented a 2020 Spark in May and really liked it. Like really liked it. When compared to the Mirage, it feels like a much newer car. In stock form, the reflexes were much quicker, and that included taut steering (with some feel!), a far sportier suspension, and an interior that looked like it was designed in this century. The seats were a bit hard, but still more comfortable than my '17 Mirage ES.

On the downside, it doesn't get the fuel economy our Mirages do (I think I got 34 MPG over about 150 miles), and I also hear the reliability and durability may not be on par with the Mirage (I'm part of a Spark group on Facebook as a voyeur ).

We considered a Spark in 2017, but the prices were way too high compared to the $9,600 I paid for our Mirage. That being said, my mother-in-law has a 2015 model with very low miles (she's 83 and doesn't drive farther than about 10 miles), and she's had zero issues with it.

For the price, we had to at least try the Mirage. So far, I still like it, but the new Sparks drive quite nicely and are certainly more modern and sporty feeling.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You can Uber in a Mirage, you cant in a Spark.
    How did the Mirage feel when you were doing Uber? Did it handle having 4-5 people in the car ok? I can tell the difference whenever I have something heavy in the back.