Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So, since this is a thread about pointless guessing and assumptions, how about that china flu? Is that still a thing?
    My parents (age 79 & 81) had COVID last week. My dad was sick for a few days first, and only my mom got tested when she got sick a few days later. Since she tested positive, they just assumed my dad had it without testing him. It sounded like nothing more than a cold for them.

My Dad will be 82 on June 30th. Since I didn't go see them for Father's Day, I plan to go up to visit them next week for his birthday. If it's not too hot out, he will most likely put me to work. Apparently, there are some trees that annoy him, & they must be cut down. What is it with old men & trees?

The third booster shot last fall really zapped my parents. They didn't bounce back from that very well. My dad didn't deer hunt much because of it. If a 4th booster shot appears, his primary doctor has already told him to not take it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-21-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Well, I hope you're right. I have to believe that if at one time you reduce the CR by removing material. And the more air is able to fill the cylinder, then the AFR is going to be thrown off ... unless you also plan to have a tune done. I don't KNOW that it would throw the AFR off ... but I THINK it will. I don't know if the computer could adjust for it. I believe the computer can adjust a small amount. But enough material removal to affectively lower the AFR is going to affect the AFR greatly (I think). If you do, good luck.
    Dremeling a bit of metal out of the cylinderheads, is meant to be very little. Just enough to prevent knock. Even 1mm will decrease the chance on knock by quite a bit.
    Meanwhile, the increase in air in, is nothing different compared to driving in different weather. Hot dry days, vs muggy cold days, will have a much higher amount of air entering the cylinder.
    The issue is not the air entering the cylinder, but pinging, or preignition, which will make the cylinders hotter, and which in turn will cause even more pinging.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    @Mark: I believe the Atkinson inspired 2.0 engines are quite good, found in Ford Fusion Hybrid, and Elantras.
    They usually run like 1.5-1.8 liter engines, unless fully opened up,then they act like 2.0L engines.
    Their fuel consumption is similar too.

I always hoped for a 1.5L atkinson-Turbo engine.
    The combination will be the most versatile engine possible.
    Keeping exhaust gasses in the cylinder, effectively lowers vacuum losses, and increases compression.
    That's less stress on the engine.
    When the exhaust valves open completely, the engine acts more like a 2.0. The increase in exhaust flow, will cause the turbo to spool up resulting in even more power.
    A 2.0, acting like a 1.6L MPG wise, and like a 2.5L wise when needing power.

Also, when paired with an ECVT, they never really get to rev much higher than 2k RPM.
    The magic sweet spot for highway driving; unless again, the throttle pedal is fully depressed.

A Diesel Atkinson-Turbo engine would give quite the amount of torque, like almost perfect fuel economy, low engine RPM, long lasting engines, and enough power to accelerate when the turbo kicks in.
    Pair it with an ECVT, and a hybrid system with 20HP generator/motor, and a 80HP high output electric motor on the rear wheels, and you got yourself a customer!
    The diesel engine is just there to provide thrust. The electric motor (rear, power motor) is there for acceleration, and the generator for charging the battery, or cruising at <20HP on all electric.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Pair it with an ECVT, and a hybrid system with 20HP generator/motor, and a 80HP high output electric motor on the rear wheels, and you got yourself a customer!
    The diesel engine is just there to provide thrust. The electric motor (rear, power motor) is there for acceleration, and the generator for charging the battery, or cruising at <20HP on all electric.
    You've basically described the new 2023 corolla hybrid. now offering AWD, Atkinson cycle, ECVT transmission, electric rear wheel drive. If they put in all these features then they'd be trying to compete with the Corolla which Mitsubishi is not. This car looses in comparison to a corolla hybrid in every category except price and maybe turning radius. Do you really think that increasing the price to cost as much as a corolla while offering less features than a corolla would really be a good idea?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Dremeling a bit of metal out of the cylinderheads, is meant to be very little. Just enough to prevent knock. Even 1mm will decrease the chance on knock by quite a bit.
    Meanwhile, the increase in air in, is nothing different compared to driving in different weather. Hot dry days, vs muggy cold days, will have a much higher amount of air entering the cylinder.
    The issue is not the air entering the cylinder, but pinging, or preignition, which will make the cylinders hotter, and which in turn will cause even more pinging.
    Let us know when you ACTUALLY do this. The popcorn will be popping...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.9 mpg (US) ... 18.2 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.5 mpg (Imp)