Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    Just to clarify a bit, I'm not stating that factually the spark is a better vehicle than the mirage. More that it has some superior features that mean something to me. I really like both cars which is why I've owned more than 1 of both.

After reading all the posts it felt awfully familiar to some of the negative comments we hear about the mirage. People that have a nugget of info and make a big assumption about a vehicle. Thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
    I looked at the Spark, before we got our two Mirages. It def drove better and felt more modern. My problem was the used market for the Spark was $2 to 3k more than I was willing to pay for the same mileage and you can't Uber in a Spark.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I looked at the Spark, before we got our two Mirages. It def drove better and felt more modern. My problem was the used market for the Spark was $2 to 3k more than I was willing to pay for the same mileage and you can't Uber in a Spark.
    Yes being able to carry 4 passengers vs 3 and NORMAL door handles was a key thing for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I hear you. It's good to hear about others real life opinions over car reviewers.
    I don't think the majority of people on this forum are as close minded as some other forums that are filled with loyal fanboys that have their brand tattooed and say everything else is junk. Out of the very few forums I've been on this one seems the most informative and well moderated.
    And the other thing I really like about being here is opposing opinions are welcomed and debated! The tattooed crowd shouts down any alternate viewpoint and chances are the poor 10 post member disappears never to be belittled again.

Watch,

VIVA Lada, the greatest most reliable commuter car ever made!!!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One, won't buy a GM product. Two, won't buy a Daewoo product. So put both together and that's a solid NO from me.

I did test drive a 2017 Sonic once just for curiousity's sake... horrible plastic turd. Worse than my 2014 Yaris LE in every single way that I was driving at the time. Yuck.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-09-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    One, won't buy a GM product. Two, won't buy a Daewoo product. So put both together and that's a solid NO from me.

I did test drive a 2017 Sonic once just for curiousity's sake... horrible plastic turd. Worse than my 2014 Yaris LE in every single way that I was driving at the time. Yuck.
    The Spark has divided people like the Mirage has. I have heard it's pretty good, and also that it is a plastic turd. That the Mirage is primitive compared to the Spark. I have to drive the Spark now to know myself.

I think USA/Canadian mindset is biased against small European-style subcompacts from the get-go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I was surprised to read the Elantra sold 2 million in the US one year. What? A small Korean car? I think these sales were close to the economic collapse we had. Everyone wanted an affordable car and IIRC Hyundai was offering $5,000 rebates on a $13,900 car.

Anyway, that just shows Americans aren't inseperable from their raised 4x4 and Escalades. If there's another economic crisis, maybe Mirage sales go into the troposphere.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I was surprised to read the Elantra sold 2 million in the US one year. What? A small Korean car? I think these sales were close to the economic collapse we had. Everyone wanted an affordable car and IIRC Hyundai was offering $5,000 rebates on a $13,900 car.

Anyway, that just shows Americans aren't inseperable from their raised 4x4 and Escalades. If there's another economic crisis, maybe Mirage sales go into the troposphere.
    I understand why people want a fancy car, something that stands out.

At the same time, for me a car is not an investment, but a tool, to get to A to B. Cars rust, everything wears out eventually. Real estate for example is a more logical thing to spend the big bucks. For less than 5 or 10 grand I can still get a car that is for fun, and doesn't have to be expensive.

A new car is like a new t-shirt. The first few days it's perfect, then you spill ketchup on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-09-2019),MetroMPG (11-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think USA/Canadian mindset is biased against small European-style subcompacts from the get-go.
    Sadly, couldn't agree more. I miss the Yaris something awful. The new one that's coming out is so damn cool but instead in the US we get some Mazda rebadged trash. I just drove one of those to compare it to my Mirage and I hated the thing. The inside was way more cramped and the 6 speed auto shifted like garbage. One thing though, it was way quieter inside than the Mirage is.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-09-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    One thing though, it was way quieter inside than the Mirage is.
    Yea the Mazda 2 sedan, rebadged as the Yaris sedan here in Canada too.

The Mazda 2 hatchback was sold in Canada, but not now. That car was like a Mirage or a real Yaris in size. To me, Mazda's don't seem to last long in Canada, but maybe any car can last, or not, if it's properly maintained, or not.

I know Mazda isn't Toyota, but I was actually curious to see the if the new Yaris sedan was any good. That's kind of my price area for cars, but my replacement for my Mirage may be a used 500x Fiat, or maybe a new bare bones Hyundai Accent or Rio.. all with a 6 speed manual.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I built a Spark and if I was Joe or Jane 6 pack I wouldn't even look at a Mirage. The Spark has a far more attractive cabin and very nice alloy wheels. It matches Mirage feature for feature and then passes it (Mirage Sirius, wifi hotspot, hello? where are you?)

Not to mention the Spark is a few hundred bucks less. Now let's see. Will I drive 45 mins. to the nearest Mits dealer to negotiate or walk, WALK to my local Chev dealer. Driven carefully I bet the Spark can return mileage that would thrill any average person.

Mits better take a hard look around and see they have serious competition that incidentally has a 94hp. motor vs, their 78hp.

ETA: I must admit the Spark has come a long way from the rentals I drove in 2014-2016.