Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    (Mirage Sirius, wifi hotspot, hello? where are you?)
    Why would satellite radio and in-car wi-fi be needed? Wouldn't one's phone take care of both with no extra charges? Plus a phone is more easily upgraded. What's in the car won't be upgraded, not as easily.

I see no need for either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-11-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Before I've driven in plenty of places with no local radio, FM or AM. I like live radio, breaking news, sports, weather. Sirius would be enough to sway me. The hotspot would keep my kid and her friend on their tablets occupied and happy while we drive 14 hours to Thunder Bay. I manage without those features but when buying again, at the same price point, I'd go for the feature car.

Plus I detest scabby rusty steel wheels.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ha! Sometimes on long drives I wish for a shortwave radio. That ain't gonna happen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Ha! Sometimes on long drives I wish for a shortwave radio. That ain't gonna happen.
    I've pondered mounting my Kenwood TS50 in my Mirage. It's an all band shortwave transceiver

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've pondered mounting my Kenwood TS50 in my Mirage. It's an all band shortwave transceiver
    This one?

KENWOOD HF Transceiver TS-50S

100W HF transmit is nothing to sneeze at. Does that cover Citizen's Band?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This one?

KENWOOD HF Transceiver TS-50S

100W HF transmit is nothing to sneeze at. Does that cover Citizen's Band?
    Legally. No

It is a beautiful radio but now illegal to use in Ontario without a hands free adaption.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Before I've driven in plenty of places with no local radio, FM or AM. I like live radio, breaking news, sports, weather. Sirius would be enough to sway me. The hotspot would keep my kid and her friend on their tablets occupied and happy while we drive 14 hours to Thunder Bay. I manage without those features but when buying again, at the same price point, I'd go for the feature car.

Plus I detest scabby rusty steel wheels.
    If I was the head of Mitsubishi marketing for the United States, I would dump the 5 trim levels. None of them are all that basic or special the other way anyways

I would offer two trim levels (Mirage Manual or a Mirage CVT). I would make the Mirage appealing without going overboard on features, because a low price should matter on a car like this. For example, A/C & cruise would remain standard.

Tire packages and car stereo systems would be selected at the time of purchase. A person can go with standard steel rims or upgrade to a variety of 14" or 15" alloy wheels (175/65-14 or 185/55-15 tires) at the time of purchase. Likewise, a choice of stereo options could be installed @ the time of purchase depending on how important that is to you.

I've bought a base level car that didn't come with radio. That's a easy fix, & it surely doesn't cost much! I rather pick out something nicer/cheaper on my own. There nothing special about a standard Mirage radio, but I don't mind living with it either.

New vehicles are to expensive. That's why vehicles on U.S. roads have an average age of 11.8 years now.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'd do this, Offer two trim levels, A plain car with no exterior chrome or fancy upholstery, the other model has all the chrome bits and nice fabric inside.

Both levels have all "normal" kit, power windows, cruise, bluetooth, and are 5mt, NO AC. Plain car, $9.995. Fancy, $11,295.

Now here's where it gets interesting and IMO, the way it should be for consumers. Everything else is an option and available for either car. In fact you can add the missing bits to the plain car to turn it into the fancy car but it would cost more adding everything ala carte. But you have the choice to do it. I won't list those options here but they would exist.

AC, $1200, Climate control, add $300
    CVT. $1200, The "Dirk" CVT, $2500
    Performance package, 117hp turbocharged engine, $1200 (1)
    Power sunroof, $1200
    Konig Alloy wheels with 422+ tires, upgraded suspension, $1100.(2)
    Fosgate audio, better speakers, $1000
    fabric summer mats, cargo cover, net, boot tray, $700
    Leather interior, choice of 5 colors, $1200

Bicycle/kayak carrying package with roof racks, $1100

A fully loaded auto will cost $19,195 MSRP (less bicycle kit)
    A fully loaded 5mt will cost $17,995 MSRP (less bicycle kit, add $1200 performance engine)

(1) Only available with 5mt transmission and must be ordered with (2) performance handling kit

But look at all the awesome stuff you get with my fully load Mirage! Nothing in several classes even comes close. My approach gives the consumer much more flexibility, almost as good as what you could get in the 70;s *. Imagine how wicked the turbo option will be.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi does have that 1.5L Turbo engine in the Eclipse Cross... I'd gladly pay a bit extra to have that in a Mirage. Imagine what a screamer that would be.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    I'd do this, Offer two trim levels, A plain car with no exterior chrome or fancy upholstery, the other model has all the chrome bits and nice fabric inside.

Both levels have all "normal" kit, power windows, cruise, bluetooth, and are 5mt, NO AC. Plain car, $9.995. Fancy, $11,295.

Now here's where it gets interesting and IMO, the way it should be for consumers. Everything else is an option and available for either car. In fact you can add the missing bits to the plain car to turn it into the fancy car but it would cost more adding everything ala carte. But you have the choice to do it. I won't list those options here but they would exist.

AC, $1200, Climate control, add $300
    CVT. $1200, The "Dirk" CVT, $2500
    Performance package, 117hp turbocharged engine, $1200 (1)
    Power sunroof, $1200
    Konig Alloy wheels with 422+ tires, upgraded suspension, $1100.(2)
    Fosgate audio, better speakers, $1000
    fabric summer mats, cargo cover, net, boot tray, $700
    Leather interior, choice of 5 colors, $1200

Bicycle/kayak carrying package with roof racks, $1100

A fully loaded auto will cost $19,195 MSRP (less bicycle kit)
    A fully loaded 5mt will cost $17,995 MSRP (less bicycle kit, add $1200 performance engine)

(1) Only available with 5mt transmission and must be ordered with (2) performance handling kit

But look at all the awesome stuff you get with my fully load Mirage! Nothing in several classes even comes close. My approach gives the consumer much more flexibility, almost as good as what you could get in the 70;s *. Imagine how wicked the turbo option will be.

I like the concept of all this, but including all these items as add on features would be a nightmare! Upgrading a transmission, climate controls, turbo, & suspension isn't the same as adding a nicer wheel package or stereo system.

I bought a new Mirage, because a dealership was selling them for $9,000-9,500 brand new in 2017. If you qualified for the loyalty or veteran rebate, they were even less.

A Mirage must be affordable, reliable, & economical for me to be interested in it. Anything over $10,000-11,000 makes me lose interest. I'm just not willing to pay that much for a tiny economy car. Adding a bunch overpriced features just makes the car less appealing to me. I may not be the norm, but I embrace affordable, reliable transportation.

I must admit that I didn't realize how important some features are to some until becoming more involved in this forum. It's help me understand the disappearance of base model vehicles. Manual transmissions are nicknamed "standard" transmissions, because they were standard equipment on many vehicles. Those days are long gone, too!

Last edited by Mark; 11-10-2019 at 03:48 AM.