Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mirage a smarter choice to evacuate with?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Is Mirage a smarter choice to evacuate with?

As you guys might know or not…Hurricane Hilary is on it way to So Cal and there are folks panic buying everything at Costco like March 2020.

Went there to grab whatever to prepare for and I am now. So Cal is not prepared for the flood or hurricane.

That being said and if I and my family ever need to evacuate, does it make sense for me to take the Mirage and evacuate instead of my 1st gen Toyo Highlander? I thought it does since it is newer and far more fuel efficient but at the same time it a tinny sedan not by design to withstand the intense weather. Thought?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would take whatever you think is more reliable.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-20-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    As you guys might know or not…Hurricane Hilary is on it way to So Cal and there are folks panic buying everything at Costco like March 2020.

Went there to grab whatever to prepare for and I am now. So Cal is not prepared for the flood or hurricane.

That being said and if I and my family ever need to evacuate, does it make sense for me to take the Mirage and evacuate instead of my 1st gen Toyo Highlander? I thought it does since it is newer and far more fuel efficient but at the same time it a tinny sedan not by design to withstand the intense weather. Thought?
    Assuming both are super reliable -

If the one left behind was destroyed, which one would you rather replace?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Assuming both are super reliable -

If the one left behind was destroyed, which one would you rather replace?
    If you had to evac only 2 people, and could get 2 5gal gas cans, you could drive a very long distance without needing fuel... i would be more worried about distances you could cover than comfort.... If you were to leave early enough before the weather hits. In hurricane weather where you are battling elements directly, the Highlander may be better option, but it may not have enough fuel. Gas stations and supplies will be much harder to obtain in my opinion... i'd go for the fuel efficient option.. with an extra gas can or two...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Highlander no doubt. Has ability to go off-road, haul more, push things out of its way. We're talking emergency situation take the more capable vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You guys got me thinking critically, I needed that. Thank you.

It is true about the HL being more capable vehicle but it a FWD and does needs minor maintenance.

The weather has not gotten bad yet and predictably it be just flood and tropical storm. But at the same time anything can happen and I’m prepared.

Both HL and G4 have pros and cons obviously. I just hope for not to evacuate. I have decided to take my G4 for fuel range and dependability. Thank you everyone for your inputs!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I'd be more worried about mastering the situation and whatever could happen, which car to take would be lower on my priority list.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If traffic is the issue then a bike would be best. Just drive on the shoulder.

Most people might try to stock up on food when they hear the news, so maybe having a small cache of emergency food would be best so you could drive away right as you hear the news. I fill up about 5-3gallon water jugs every week, which I use for cooking and drinking. I guess what I'm trying to say is be prepared for the emergency and don't wait to react to it
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-20-2023)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This storm is being hyped up pretty bad. I think you will be fine. Flooding sucks, but evacuating can be worse.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    This storm is being hyped up pretty bad. I think you will be fine. Flooding sucks, but evacuating can be worse.
    Overhyped indeed.

Fortunately, just heavy wind. No flood has affected me, and no damage reported given the 5.1 magnitude earthquake this afternoon.