Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Attachment 18809

I'll be honest with you: I rented a 2020 Spark in May and really liked it. Like really liked it. When compared to the Mirage, it feels like a much newer car. In stock form, the reflexes were much quicker, and that included taut steering (with some feel!), a far sportier suspension, and an interior that looked like it was designed in this century. The seats were a bit hard, but still more comfortable than my '17 Mirage ES.

On the downside, it doesn't get the fuel economy our Mirages do (I think I got 34 MPG over about 150 miles), and I also hear the reliability and durability may not be on par with the Mirage (I'm part of a Spark group on Facebook as a voyeur ).

We considered a Spark in 2017, but the prices were way too high compared to the $9,600 I paid for our Mirage. That being said, my mother-in-law has a 2015 model with very low miles (she's 83 and doesn't drive farther than about 10 miles), and she's had zero issues with it.

For the price, we had to at least try the Mirage. So far, I still like it, but the new Sparks drive quite nicely and are certainly more modern and sporty feeling.
    I haven't test drove the Spark but I got interested in the car when I first saw it at Saint Martin. They were everywhere there - seems like a good island car. I agree with you that it has a more premium feel than the Mirage, especially the interior. I wish the Mirage's interior is a little more "lux" Exterior wise, I have to say I prefer the Mirage, especially 2014-15 models. I feel like the Spark is trying too hard to make an economy subcompact car into something more than what it actually is

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I test drove the Spark at a Chevy dealership. It didnt feel that much faster, but did feel way more cramped and the dashboard looked just as cheap as a Mirage. This was a 2019 model I believe.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel like the Spark's dash and such are much more modern than the Mirage's, which looks like a melted bar of black soap.

I will also say that I have more confidence in the Mirage's quality and longevity regardless of style.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Attachment 18809

I'll be honest with you: I rented a 2020 Spark in May and really liked it. Like really liked it. When compared to the Mirage, it feels like a much newer car. In stock form, the reflexes were much quicker, and that included taut steering (with some feel!), a far sportier suspension, and an interior that looked like it was designed in this century. The seats were a bit hard, but still more comfortable than my '17 Mirage ES.

On the downside, it doesn't get the fuel economy our Mirages do (I think I got 34 MPG over about 150 miles), and I also hear the reliability and durability may not be on par with the Mirage (I'm part of a Spark group on Facebook as a voyeur ).

We considered a Spark in 2017, but the prices were way too high compared to the $9,600 I paid for our Mirage. That being said, my mother-in-law has a 2015 model with very low miles (she's 83 and doesn't drive farther than about 10 miles), and she's had zero issues with it.

For the price, we had to at least try the Mirage. So far, I still like it, but the new Sparks drive quite nicely and are certainly more modern and sporty feeling.
    That's an interesting write up, Subcompact Culture. The photo you took there is flattering. Personally, the look of the Spark turns me right off them. I know that's a superficial opinion, and ironic coming from the mouth of a Mirage owner. I really do think the Mirage looks better, but my 2014 I have noticed lately is looking dated.

The Mirage looks great certain angles. Your Mirage for example looks great. But any Mirage hatch owner knows, other angles Mirages looks like an egg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I test drove the Spark at a Chevy dealership. It didnt feel that much faster, but did feel way more cramped and the dashboard looked just as cheap as a Mirage. This was a 2019 model I believe.
    Interesting. It does look cramped in those review videos, especially the backseats are useless for adults. I also hate that to fold down the backseats you have to pop out the bottom seat first and then fold the backrest after. Looks like poor design. Still, the Spark doesn't get bashed by "car experts" as much as the Mirage - seems like BS to me

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The Mirage looks great certain angles. Your Mirage for example looks great. But any Mirage hatch owner knows, other angles Mirages looks like an egg.
    lol I find it endearing that it looks like an egg, hence I named my car The Egg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to newtomit For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  comparingSpark.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  80.3 KB

nope, they can keep the spark
    I am very happy with my new mirage
    why would you spark? ewwwwww

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsray View Post
    Name:  comparingSpark.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  80.3 KB

nope, they can keep the spark
    I am very happy with my new mirage
    why would you spark? ewwwwww
    Spark has a much more convenient dealer network and their part prices are much less in many cases. Plus Mitsubishi service centers are notorious on here with some exceptions like White Bear Mitsu. I glad I went with a Mirage but I can see the appeal in the Spark.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

mrsray (09-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Spark has a much more convenient dealer network and their part prices are much less in many cases. Plus Mitsubishi service centers are notorious on here with some exceptions like White Bear Mitsu. I glad I went with a Mirage but I can see the appeal in the Spark.
    I agree with Dirk. In some areas, Mitsubishi dealerships are lacking or not very good. I am not aware of a really good Mitsubishi dealership in Wisconsin. I used a Wisconsin dealership to test drive a Mirage, but I felt that I needed to purchase my Mirage out of state to get a good deal.

If I was someone who likes to use dealerships for service, I would have never considered the Mirage. For those people, the Spark may have a greater appeal. I know of a number of Chevy dealerships that I would trust, but I am not a big fan of GM products. I own a Mirage, but it came from a dealership that is a 4 hour drive from my home.

Outside of warranty/recall work, my Mirage will never see a dealership for service.

Dirk - Apparently the newly attached "ball & chain" doesn't keep you from the forum!

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The dealer network is 100% why we got my mother-in-law into a Spark and not a Mirage. She lives in small-town central Wisconsin. Her tiny town has a Chevy dealer. The nearest Mitsubishi dealer is 81 miles away and my mother-in-law was 80 when she got the car. She doesn't drive very much.

Had there been a Mitsubishi dealer in town, we would've steered her that way.