Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

I was wondering with what we know now since 2014 and the longevity/issues of both models. Does anyone wish they had chosen The Chevrolet Spark instead of their Mirage?

Which of the 2 would have been a better overall financial value?

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not a chance. I haven't checked but I'll guess the Spark has better resale value than the Mirage. We're seeing $2-3k moderate mileage loaded Mirages. They're not well enough known to sell for more. If word was widespread about how reliable they are I'm sure their resale value would increase.

However, I bought my Mirage and didn't care if the resale value was $0 the minute I left the lot. This car was purchased to be driven until it can't go any further. If I get 10 years from it that's still less than $100/month assuming it's worth nothing then.

I rented several Sparks over a two year period. I didn't like them from the start. The cabin layout was odd, better than many small cars, but nowhere near as convenient as the Mirage. I hated the weird big round dial pod. I found the ride harsh, the fuel economy wasn't stellar, and it wasn't really all that much peppier than the Mirage. The Spark is made with higher quality cabin parts, the fit and finish and appearance of the cabin is really nice, but again, comparing it, wind up windows and manual mirrors in 2015? Does anybody have a mix tape I can borrow?

Of the 4 dealers I went to only one had a Spark and they wouldn't allow it to be taken for a test drive. Their excuse was the PDI wasn't done yet. No salesman was willing to seriously discuss sales terms with me because they had no cars to sell. The MSRP was attractive for the base model but with incentives the Mirage was miles ahead.

In fact, I rented a Spark to drive 600 kms to pick up my Mirage. I drove home the same 600 kms that night. The Mirage was far more comfortable.

How do you determine better value? The overall cost? I bet the Spark is marginally cheaper, considering resale value. At this stage are there 300k miles Sparks with no major repairs? IDK? It's obvious in terms of maintenance costs the Mirage is an outlier, hardly requiring more than tires, oil/filters, and the odd battery. However, there is a dollar value to be assigned to the enjoyment of a car. Here's where I think the Mirage wins hands down, even if it leaves you poorer in the end.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 11-02-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-02-2019),highwire (06-22-2020),inuvik (11-02-2019),MetroMPG (11-02-2019),precisionxt (06-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A friend of mine has a 2017 Spark. It is fine, but my Mirage is just as good, cheaper to buy, own and insure.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitsuko For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-02-2019),inuvik (11-02-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post

Which of the 2 would have been a better overall financial value?
    I've owned my Mirage since new and since April 2014. I would give the Mirage a B+. Stellar fuel economy, handles well, the interior's layout is basic, but smart and functional. Conservative interior and exterior as well, but that makes sense if you want a no frills, no gimmick car. Most small cars try to be way too "far out"

Negatives: My starter was defective, and had to be replaced; and my fuel filler and/or gas cap had a small leak. Other than that pretty reliable.

The Mitsu dealer network, and Mitsubishi itself, 3/10 mediocre for customer service I feel. Chevy dealer would have been way closer to home and more convenient. Not sure I like the Chevy Spark, looks like it's trying too hard.

I love to drive small cars, especially manuals, but they can be tiresome after many years.

I would never buy the Spark if the fuel economy is so-so. If I am not getting 40 MPG or more, I would much rather drive a bigger car.
    Last edited by dspace9; 11-02-2019 at 05:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-02-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Hell no.
    Go on the Spark forum and read about their CVT issues. The Spark will not last as long as the Mirage IMO. Programming is everything from Ive read on here. Mitsubishi and Suzuki seem to be the only 2 companies that know how to utilize the CVT7.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-03-2019)

The Mirage has been established by multiple 3rd party studies in multiple countries as one of - if not THE - best values in terms of lowest cost of ownership.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ccomplishments

The Spark probably isn't terribly far off though.

I have yet to drive one. But it's now outselling the Micra in Canada's 3-way cheap car battle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldnt be surprised to see the Spark discontinued in 2020 due to GMs scale down of sedans and small cars (following in Ford's footsteps). I think there is a much greater chance of Mitsubishi continuing with the Mirage then there is of the Spark to keep going.

But I have not read too many posts on this forum from people that have driven both cars for any substantial length of time. Also i wonder which is the highest miles Spark on their forum?
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I found this at the Spark forums;

"The Spark has two fairly well documented issues. One is the crankcase venting system, and I believe it goes beyond just the PCV valve. The other is the pistons and rings are just a hair to small in diameter. Without proper crankcase venting, an a higher than normal amount of combustion gasses getting past the rings, it builds up sludge fairly quickly. Add 7000 mile recommended oil changes, and it is going to sludge up quickly. Apparently the first place the sludge plugs up is a tiny orifice in the VVT mechanism, leading to engine failure. For some reason it is the #4 cylinder most of the time. It looks like GM is about to discontinue the Spark, so they probably have no intention of fixing it."

That post is followed by this post;

"This is why I passed on the Spark. The longevity concerns are just too bleak. I wonder if all the oil useage many Spark owners are experiencing is due to sludge build up. If an engine isn't burning oil, then it has to be going somewhere. Sludge could account for that as it's still in the engine, just not In a beneficial way.

I still think the Spark looks cool, but I'm happy I passed on it and bought a Mitsubishi Mirage."

So it appears that many Sparks have flaws that involve total engine destruction. I foresee a future where Sparks that fail to get fixed now will be failing like mad in the used market down the road. Their reputation will be so bad they can't be given away
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-03-2019),MetroMPG (11-03-2019)

nope,
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:10 AM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-03-2019),fc321 (11-03-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I still think the Spark looks cool, but I'm happy I passed on it and bought a Mitsubishi Mirage."

So it appears that many Sparks have flaws that involve total engine destruction. I foresee a future where Sparks that fail to get fixed now will be failing like mad in the used market down the road. Their reputation will be so bad they can't be given away
    Sludge build-up in the 4th cylinder in many Spark's. No thanks. I am not trying to wave the pro-Mirage flag too loud on the Mirage Forum, but that is eye-opening information Wallythacker.

I am pretty sure Spark is a Daewoo product. Cloned as a GM product. So, honestly I'm not sure how good, or bad, Daewoo cars are, but I do know they did not last long selling as an independent brand in Canada.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-03-2019)