Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I swear, the Spark LT is the only "punishment box" left on the market. You take a look at that base model and you can tell they did everything in their power to make it constantly remind the owner they're a cheap *******. Borderline insulting.

Between it and the Mirage, there's no contest. At least in my eyes. Others are free to have their own opinions!
    In my opinion, Chevy is doing a much better job of marketing the Spark. Plus the competition (Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc...) has disappeared. Even the Sonic & Cruz competition has disappeared. The Chevy Spark is destined to be the small car king of North America.

I like the fact that a LS, 1LT, & 2LT can be bought with a manual or CVT option, too. Plus, there is a ACTIV manual trim.

Has anyone hauled 3 adults in the back of a Mirage comfortably?

If a company is offering 4-5 trim levels, why would a more basic trim level be "borderline insulting"? I hate paying extra for features that I don't care about. If someone like features, that's the purpose of the upper trim levels. I really miss more affordable base models!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Has anyone hauled 3 adults in the back of a Mirage comfortably?
    I take it more as if I need to get three adults in the back from point A to B in a pinch I can. Better than the spark where you legally can't. I suppose this is more important if the Mirage is your only car.

Also for Uber and Lyft they definitely prefer a 5 seater to a 4 seater. I see reports of people being not approved or deactivated with the Spark.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 04-30-2021 at 12:47 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I take it more as if I need to get three adults in the back from point A to B in a pinch I can. Better than the spark where you legally can't. I suppose this is more important if the Mirage is your only car.

Also for Uber and Lyft they definitely prefer a 5 seater to a 4 seater. I see reports of people being not approved or deactivated with the Spark.
    This is true, you cannot drive for Uber in a Spark but you can in a Mirage. I wouldn't advise having 3 adults in your back seat though, it will bottom out. I've done it, to no lasting damage thank gawd but ill advised. Also I've had rides cancel on me after they saw it was a Mirage but this was rare.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If a company is offering 4-5 trim levels, why would a more basic trim level be "borderline insulting"? I hate paying extra for features that I don't care about. If someone like features, that's the purpose of the upper trim levels. I really miss more affordable base models!
    In my head I've built up the conspiracy theory that it is actually more expensive for Chevy to (as an example) make specialty hardware so that the base model Spark can have hand-crank windows than it would be for them to just give it the same power window components that it uses throughout the rest of it's fleet.

Well, at least in Canada, 2021 Spark LS manual base model has no air-conditioning and its MRSP is C$10,398 (US$8,466). Not bad.

https://www.chevrolet.ca/en/cars/spark

That's the cheapest new car in Canada.

Base 2021 Mirage starts at almost $14k.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twister77 View Post
    Well, at least in Canada, 2021 Spark LS manual base model has no air-conditioning and its MRSP is C$10,398 (US$8,466). Not bad.

https://www.chevrolet.ca/en/cars/spark
    Then it looks like Destination Freight Charge of $1,800

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Then it looks like Destination Freight Charge of $1,800
    That is C$12,198 (US$9,927). Even with that, still not bad.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    In my head I've built up the conspiracy theory that it is actually more expensive for Chevy to (as an example) make specialty hardware so that the base model Spark can have hand-crank windows than it would be for them to just give it the same power window components that it uses throughout the rest of it's fleet.
    In my opinion, the marketing of the Spark is far superior to the Mirage. All Sparks & Mirages come with A/C in the States.

A base level Spark LS doesn't have power windows, mirror, or locks. For someone like me, a manual transmission trumps everything. If those features & alloy wheels were important to me, I can buy the next level up (1LT) with a manual transmission.

Let's say heated seats & push button start are also important to me, I can buy a 2LT manual. How about a slightly raise suspension and a roof rail? I can buy an ACTIV manual. Let's say you really want it all (like the current Mirage SE), lane departure, emergency brake assist, & forward collision alert can be added to the 2LT CVT package.

I really like how the Spark trim levels are offered! They make total sense to me.

I cannot say the same about Mitsubishi. Outside of steel/alloy wheels, the ES/LE/Carbonite Edition seemed lumped together and then there's the loaded SE. If you prefer a manual, however, you're stuck with the ES.

I am not saying the ES, LE, & Carbonite Edition don't have nice features. I am saying they have pretty much the same features except for a few minor things that don't even justify a different trim level in my opinion.

Someone embracing a more affordable base model of a vehicle shouldn't bother those who desire upper trim levels. Why would you even care? Chevy is doing a superior job of offering trim level choices in both manual & CVT. As far as I am concerned, it's not even close.

For those who claim a Mirage comes with more standard features, I say who cares? A Spark offers the same features, but you have the option of selecting them. In my opinion, that's superior marketing! Mitsubishi has done the opposite of this. I prefer having the choice to select options. It's why trim levels exist!

This is the biggest thing going for the Spark, however. Chevy dealers are everywhere. Chevy dealerships are competitive with each other. I have 25 Chevy dealerships within the radius of one Mitsubishi dealership. That one Mitsubishi dealership sucks! Worst dealership I have ever visited, & they don't seem to care. If I'm interested in a Spark, a Chevy dealership has to work a little harder to earn my business over the other guy nearby.

In all honesty, it's amazing a Mirage competes at all with the Spark. I mean that as a compliment, not a slam. The Mirage is a great little car, but I don't feel it's marketed very well. The affordable part of the car gets lost in all the discounts, incentives, & rebates. Trim levels make very little sense, & I am not even talking about the ES was this before but now it's ...
    Last edited by Mark; 05-01-2021 at 03:42 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

twister77 (05-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    In my opinion, the marketing of the Spark is far superior to the Mirage. All Sparks & Mirages come with A/C in the States.

A base level Spark LS doesn't have power windows, mirror, or locks. For someone like me, a manual transmission trumps everything. If those features & alloy wheels were important to me, I can buy the next level up (1LT) with a manual transmission.

Let's say heated seats & push button start are also important to me, I can buy a 2LT manual. How about a slightly raise suspension and a roof rail? I can buy an ACTIV manual. Let's say you really want it all (like the current Mirage SE), lane departure, emergency brake assist, & forward collision alert can be added to the 2LT CVT package.

I really like how the Spark trim levels are offered! They make total sense to me.

I cannot say the same about Mitsubishi. Outside of steel/alloy wheels, the ES/LE/Carbonite Edition seemed lumped together and then there's the loaded SE. If you prefer a manual, however, you're stuck with the ES.

I am not saying the ES, LE, & Carbonite Edition don't have nice features. I am saying they have pretty much the same features except for a few minor things that don't even justify a different trim level in my opinion.

Someone embracing a more affordable base model of a vehicle shouldn't bother those who desire upper trim levels. Why would you even care? Chevy is doing a superior job of offering trim level choices in both manual & CVT. As far as I am concerned, it's not even close.

For those who claim a Mirage comes with more standard features, I say who cares? A Spark offers the same features, but you have the option of selecting them. In my opinion, that's superior marketing! Mitsubishi has done the opposite of this. I prefer having the choice to select options. It's why trim levels exist!

This is the biggest thing going for the Spark, however. Chevy dealers are everywhere. Chevy dealerships are competitive with each other. I have 25 Chevy dealerships within the radius of one Mitsubishi dealership. That one Mitsubishi dealership sucks! Worst dealership I have ever visited, & they don't seem to care. If I'm interested in a Spark, a Chevy dealership has to work a little harder to earn my business over the other guy nearby.

In all honesty, it's amazing a Mirage competes at all with the Spark. I mean that as a compliment, not a slam. The Mirage is a great little car, but I don't feel it's marketed very well. The affordable part of the car gets lost in all the discounts, incentives, & rebates. Trim levels make very little sense, & I am not even talking about the ES was this before but now it's ...
    Hey Mark (and anyone else, really...) Do you suppose that economies of scale have anything to do with this? Meaning, how can Mitsubishi be expected to compete at the same level as Chevrolet in the US market? It's like punching above your weight class. Of course, Mitsubishi is trying but it's real hard to build market share.

From that perspective it's not really a fair comparison.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)