Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I think the 1.5L engine size has to do with other country's tax codes and stuff. So for a global engine, that makes sense to make it fit in all over the place instead of something just for the US market.

But I mean, if Mitsu is going to put in an optional engine, the 1.5 makes sense to me because it's a more modern powerplant what with a turbocharger, direct injection, and other stuff I can't remember. Plus, the 2.0 and 2.4 engines are pretty damn old, dating back to 2007 I think or maybe a little before and they're also not very small physically so it would take more effort to cram that into the Mirage's small engine bay than the tightly packed little 1.5L turbo.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Well, I think the 1.5L engine size has to do with other country's tax codes and stuff. So for a global engine, that makes sense to make it fit in all over the place instead of something just for the US market.

But I mean, if Mitsu is going to put in an optional engine, the 1.5 makes sense to me because it's a more modern powerplant what with a turbocharger, direct injection, and other stuff I can't remember. Plus, the 2.0 and 2.4 engines are pretty damn old, dating back to 2007 I think or maybe a little before and they're also not very small physically so it would take more effort to cram that into the Mirage's small engine bay than the tightly packed little 1.5L turbo.

We didn't buy a Mirage for the same reasons apparently. I adore the 5-speed manual powertrain of the Mirage. It's a hoot to drive as is. If the Mirage came with a turbo, I would have never bought one. Likewise, if it didn't come with a manual transmission, I would have never bought one.

Speaking for myself, I really like simple practical cars. It doesn't take that much to make me happy I guess.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I seriously doubt Mitsubishi will offer any engine that is either larger (displacement or physical size) or more powerful for the Mirage. Mitsubishi builds the Mirage in Laem Chabang under an agreement with the Thai government for an eco-car and a bigger engine would likely jeopardize their certification and thus their business model.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    if Mitsu is going to put in an optional engine
    Why would they? Production costs will rise with each optional item. And there are already a zillion subcompacts with optional everything, including turbocharged engines. I know, these are not available in the US, for the simple reason they don't sell. The Space Star has its niche, where it excels. Outside that niche it's cold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-11-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'd bet a good coin that we will see a 1l turbo once the next gen comes out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We didn't buy a Mirage for the same reasons apparently.
    Well, I did buy the SE model with an automatic to use as a fuel efficient means of business and for volunteer work miles. Manual transmissions suck in the busy city of Chicago so since I had to get an automatic for that I figure may as well get the upscale model since a few of the little things it offered will make it more pleasant to me for sitting in it for 8-10 hours straight.

But with a bigger engine option I'm speaking hypothetically, obviously. Maybe remembering the days where Mitsubishi actually took some of their regular vehicles and made them quick... like the old Mirage Turbo, the Galant VR4, 3000GT VR4, or the Lancer Evos. I still have a fond memory of tearing up a Mitsubishi Starion getting it sideways and having an absolute blast driving it. Plus, it doesn't have to be the STANDARD engine... None of the cars I listed above came with the turbocharged engines on the standard models.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I'd bet a good coin that we will see a 1l turbo once the next gen comes out.
    That would be nice.

Mitsubishi has got to be in the planning stages for the next generation by now, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I was wondering with what we know now since 2014 and the longevity/issues of both models. Does anyone wish they had chosen The Chevrolet Spark instead of their Mirage?

Which of the 2 would have been a better overall financial value?
    No.
    Glad I didn't buy the Spark.

tomrad - what kind of car did you buy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    tomrad - what kind of car did you buy?

2014 Mirage DE, then (after it was run into and totaled at just over 5k miles), a 2015 Mirage DE. Got 84k on the 2015 and it's been great.
    (I'll add car shortly, sorry, I forgot )
    Both cvt cars, btw.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-15-2019)