Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update. Recalls aren't necessarily bad. They're good in many cases, because it means a free part upgrade for the car, so long the old part didn't result in a catastrophic failure.

Chevrolet for instance, only recalled the 2011-2015 Cruzes for headgasket issues in 2021. That's 10 years later. The head gasket would blow in hot climates due to the high compression ratio (turbo car), and low octane fuel allowed in the manual.

There's an easy fix though, use a dremel on the inside of the piston head, and dremel some metal away, allowing for a somewhat lower compression ratio.
    But anyway, I still ended up having to pay two headgaskets in 5 years, before getting rid of the car (and with it, all evidence of repairs).

The Kia Optima my friend has, has 136k miles, without a single problem. It is a later model though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Thanks for the update. Recalls aren't necessarily bad. They're good in many cases, because it means a free part upgrade for the car, so long the old part didn't result in a catastrophic failure.

Chevrolet for instance, only recalled the 2011-2015 Cruzes for headgasket issues in 2021. That's 10 years later. The head gasket would blow in hot climates due to the high compression ratio (turbo car), and low octane fuel allowed in the manual.

There's an easy fix though, use a dremel on the inside of the piston head, and dremel some metal away, allowing for a somewhat lower compression ratio.
    But anyway, I still ended up having to pay two headgaskets in 5 years, before getting rid of the car (and with it, all evidence of repairs).

The Kia Optima my friend has, has 136k miles, without a single problem. It is a later model though.
    I know someone who had an engine replaced in his Optima, and the service manager admitted he was getting the same faulty engine (because they have so many of them in stock). He sold the car shortly after that.

I am not saying Hyundai/KIA are the only companies that are having problems these days. I wouldn't buy some models of Honda these days either.

My 2011 Subaru Forester had its short block engine replaced in 2018 (free of charge thanks to a class action lawsuit against Subaru). My Dad's older GMC Terrain needed a complete engine overhaul before 40,000 miles, & he was given a 150,000 mile engine warranty afterwards. I probably would have kept it, but my Dad traded in shortly after that.

I do feel Honda & Toyota are more aggressive about addressing issues with their vehicles, but even they have manufactured some oil burners in recent years.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-19-2022 at 11:08 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Recalls aren't necessarily bad. They're good in many cases, because it means a free part upgrade for the car, so long the old part didn't result in a catastrophic failure.

Dremelling the head to lower the CR, sounds like a very GM way of band-aiding an issue. If you're good with those kind of gimmicks and games and feel ok to have your car sit at a shop in many instances for long periods of times, well, that's your bidness. Sounds to me like one of those good ole Sparks is in your future. It's an interesting vehicle. Best of luck to you if you do.

And the sun shines on a dog's butthole every now and then.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Sonic's aren't reliable. Cruze's aren't reliable. Optima's, wasn't there a class action lawsuit with those 2.0 and 2.4L engines? The wife traded hers in just before that came out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Dremelling the head to lower the CR, sounds like a very GM way of band-aiding an issue.
    It's not a GM way of doing it. It's MY way of doing it.
    It really helps lower compression and prevent knock.
    And so long it's a small amount, the procedure should only take a few hours, and many more driving joys ahead.
    Lower CR? Yes, because CR is too high. I believe they have a 10.5:1 on a turbo engine, and still allow for regular fuel in the manual!
    10.5:1 even at only 14PSI, needs at least mid grade. But that's expensive nowadays, so many people put regular in it. The 1.4L really shines with mid-grade fuel. Premium doesn't net that much higher MPG in hotter, humid near sea level climates. But Mid-grade really is necessary in the Summer. Florida is a graveyard for those Cruzes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I know someone who had an engine replaced in his Optima, and the service manager admitted he was getting the same faulty engine (because they have so many of them in stock). He sold the car shortly after that.

I am not saying Hyundai/KIA are the only companies that are having problems these days. I wouldn't buy some models of Honda these days either.

My 2011 Subaru Forester had its short block engine replaced in 2018 (free of charge thanks to a class action lawsuit against Subaru). My Dad's older GMC Terrain needed a complete engine overhaul before 40,000 miles, & he was given a 150,000 mile engine warranty afterwards. I probably would have kept it, but my Dad traded in shortly after that.

I do feel Honda & Toyota are more aggressive about addressing issues with their vehicles, but even they have manufactured some oil burners in recent years.
    Subaru boxer engines have nice torque, but have inherent problems with the boxer design.
    The pistons receive an unequal amount of lubrication, due to how they are placed, and that will always lead to wear.
    My wife has a 2017 Outback. They fixed most of the issues of pre-2016 models, but even with the issues solved, I don't see this engine (and especially transmission) running trouble-free for more than 150k miles.
    Their larger version the Ascent, has the same engine and transmission but turbo charged. As a result their CVTs started slipping, and they had to adjust the grip on the belt through software, which will only wear the belt even faster.

Toyota recently had a BMW designer join the team. Which is why the Corollas look so nice.
    Outside of the looks, they also changed the engine design.
    Hence, the trusty 400k mile corolla engines, been replaced by higher performing engines, have reduced reliability.
    Honda, I don't know very well.
    I hear about how some people put 275k miles on their honda, and think that's amazing; but even Korean models nowadays can surpass the 300k mile mark without too many issues.
    For instance, there's an uber eats delivery lady, who has 750+k miles on her Elantra.
    I hear regularly from people running the 2.0 to 2.4L atkinson engine designs, for more than 400k miles.
    Even a Spark 1.2L, or Mitsubishi mirage 3 potter, reaching close to 500k miles.

The Honda legends of past are all passed by your average cars nowadays.

Fiat on the other hand, hasn't kept up. Their engines seem to go bad after 150k miles.

Kia, the latest Optimas are pretty good. I read online about several people running the Rio, Forte, and Hyundai Accent, hitting 200-250k miles (after which people usually sell them for being bored of them, rather than due to wear).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Sonic's aren't reliable. Cruze's aren't reliable. Optima's, wasn't there a class action lawsuit with those 2.0 and 2.4L engines? The wife traded hers in just before that came out.
    Local KIA dealer had PILES of Optima engines a couple of years ago. Big stack of new engines and a big stack of defectives. Techs were busy hanging replacement engines on that model. All warranty...looked like the GM offset rod fiasco of the 80's. So what did KIA screw up?
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    And so long it's a small amount, the procedure should only take a few hours, and many more driving joys ahead.
    Lower CR? Yes, because CR is too high. I believe they have a 10.5:1 on a turbo engine, and still allow for regular fuel in the manual!
    10.5:1 even at only 14PSI, needs at least mid grade. But that's expensive nowadays, so many people put regular in it. The 1.4L really shines with mid-grade fuel. Premium doesn't net that much higher MPG in hotter, humid near sea level climates. But Mid-grade really is necessary in the Summer. Florida is a graveyard for those Cruzes.

Subaru boxer engines have nice torque, but have inherent problems with the boxer design.
    The pistons receive an unequal amount of lubrication, due to how they are placed, and that will always lead to wear.
    My wife has a 2017 Outback. They fixed most of the issues of pre-2016 models, but even with the issues solved, I don't see this engine (and especially transmission) running trouble-free for more than 150k miles.
    Their larger version the Ascent, has the same engine and transmission but turbo charged. As a result their CVTs started slipping, and they had to adjust the grip on the belt through software, which will only wear the belt even faster.

Toyota recently had a BMW designer join the team. Which is why the Corollas look so nice.
    Outside of the looks, they also changed the engine design.
    Hence, the trusty 400k mile corolla engines, been replaced by higher performing engines, have reduced reliability.
    Honda, I don't know very well.
    I hear about how some people put 275k miles on their honda, and think that's amazing; but even Korean models nowadays can surpass the 300k mile mark without too many issues.
    For instance, there's an uber eats delivery lady, who has 750+k miles on her Elantra.
    I hear regularly from people running the 2.0 to 2.4L atkinson engine designs, for more than 400k miles.
    Even a Spark 1.2L, or Mitsubishi mirage 3 potter, reaching close to 500k miles.

The Honda legends of past are all passed by your average cars nowadays.

Fiat on the other hand, hasn't kept up. Their engines seem to go bad after 150k miles.

Kia, the latest Optimas are pretty good. I read online about several people running the Rio, Forte, and Hyundai Accent, hitting 200-250k miles (after which people usually sell them for being bored of them, rather than due to wear).
    The older 2.2 L Subaru engine was super reliable. I've heard some mechanics claim one of the best engines ever made. Sadly, that didn't carry over to the newer 2.0 L & 2.5 L ones. I want to like the Subaru company, but I have lost faith in them. When I picked up my Forester after the short block replacement, 7 others were in line to be done. People seem to blindly follow them.

If all goes well, I don't plan on buying a vehicle for another 10 years or so. That's why I bought a new Mirage when they were going for less than $10,000 OTD in 2017. I don't want to replace my 2011 Forester 2.5X manual any time soon. At the time, I needed a vehicle in a hurry, and the Forester checked all the right boxes (AWD, manual, 2 years old, 15,000 miles, under $20,000 paid about $17,000, 2,500 towing capacity, etc...) 90% of my mileage goes on my Mirage, but it can't tow or deal with snow like my Forester. I am not willing to give that up.

In hindsight, I would have bought an older CR-V or Element with a manual transmission (which limits you to the 1st or 2nd generation CR-V). At the time, I struggled to find a good used one, & I needed a vehicle. The 2.4 L Honda engine is very reliable. I wouldn't buy the current 1.5 L engine used in the newer CR-V. I wouldn't buy a turbo or CVT anything for that matter. If Mitsubishi made an AWD manual SUV in recent years, I may have one. The market lacks that option, & that keeps me content with what I have for now.

Sounds like the KIA Optima may be the perfect car for you!

The vehicles I like the best were made 20 years ago!

I just stumbled across this while searching for a service manual for a tow truck I'm trying to fix. Might come in handy if anyone has a GM https://gsitlc.ext.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/index.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Lower CR? Yes, because CR is too high.
    Well, I hope you're right. I have to believe that if at one time you reduce the CR by removing material. And the more air is able to fill the cylinder, then the AFR is going to be thrown off ... unless you also plan to have a tune done. I don't KNOW that it would throw the AFR off ... but I THINK it will. I don't know if the computer could adjust for it. I believe the computer can adjust a small amount. But enough material removal to affectively lower the AFR is going to affect the AFR greatly (I think). If you do, good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

So, since this is a thread about pointless guessing and assumptions, how about that china flu? Is that still a thing?