Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Mark (and anyone else, really...) Do you suppose that economies of scale have anything to do with this? Meaning, how can Mitsubishi be expected to compete at the same level as Chevrolet in the US market? It's like punching above your weight class. Of course, Mitsubishi is trying but it's real hard to build market share.

From that perspective it's not really a fair comparison.
    I like how the Spark is marketed, & Chevy dealerships are everywhere.

I bought a Mirage.

Many cars (not just small ones) have disappeared from the new car market in recent years. The Mirage is still standing!

Is Mitsubishi trying real hard to built their market share? What do you base that comment on?

I don't feel the need to bash the Spark to feel better about my Mirage. I was addressing someone's comment about the Spark being -

"I swear, the Spark LT is the only "punishment box" left on the market. You take a look at that base model and you can tell they did everything in their power to make it constantly remind the owner they're a cheap *******. Borderline insulting."

I have a different opinion on that. I think Chevy's marketing of the Spark is smart & most of all logical. Mitsubishi has gone in the opposite directions somewhat, & the end result is three trim levels that are almost the same.

I like the transgression (choice) when it comes to trim levels. Offering a manual option across all of them is even better! This is how I would market small cars, and it's much closer to what Chevy is doing.

Trim 1 - doesn't have power windows, mirrors, & locks. Cruise & A/C may not even be offered.
    Trim 2 - gives you those above items.
    Trim 3 - starts adding things like push button start, heated seats, fog lights, & whatever.
    Instead of a trim 4, I would market a safety package that includes items like automatic emergency braking, forward collision alert, & lane departure warning. This package could be part of trim levels 2 &/or 3. Maybe the trim levels with those extra safety features are called trim 2+ or trim 3+?

The stereo system - I would put a kick butt stereo system in every economy car ever built. It's an important item to young or first time buyers. The wimpy stereo system of Mirage could be done much better without adding that much cost to the car, & that's a draw for young people! Maybe old folks like me, too? I tend to drive without the radio being on. I prefer less noise sometimes.

If you're going to put a crappy stereo system in a car, I would rather it came without one. Some base level cars came without radios years ago. It gave you the option to add whatever you wanted. That wasn't all bad!

Eggman may even agree with me on this one, because I know he upgraded his Mirage stereo system. The factory one is quite lame by today's standards. I really don't care, but I know most people do care about those things.

I am not bashing the Mirage. I really like my Mirage, & I would buy another one. I just like how Chevy markets the Spark, because it gives manual & automatic transmission consumers choice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-17-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My point with the Spark is that it probably costs them more to make the one with crank windows than it does to just leave it with power ones.

They sell it to you as the cheapest one of the lot as our little monkey brains say "less features = cheaper to produce" when it's actually the opposite.

If considered in isolation, I don't really care. Cheap car is cheap car. But what grinds my gears is that they are putting in a ton of extra work to actively make your experience worse.

Why would they do that? Well, it's like if Apple made the base iPhone start at only $XXX, but it has 16GB of storage. The next one up has 64GB, but that's $XXX+200. They actively make the base model so uncompetitive that the average person will not buy it (as they will lose money on that one because the difference in storage is not actually $200 in cost). But they still get to advertise a low price, and actually end up getting to charge more for the true base model (64GB) because at that point the average buyer is already "in for a penny, in for a pound." The cost of the additional storage is far less than $200, so that's the one they actually make money on. I believe Apple (or some other phone manufacturer) actually did this at one point, I'm just too lazy to look up the specifics.

In any case, if the 16GB-equivalent Spark does actually work fine for you, then by all means enjoy. It is indeed the cheapest car you can get. But power windows do not justify whatever cost the next trim up is. It's 2021 ffs.

From a marketing standpoint, it's genius. But I'm not a marketer, I'm an engineer. And from an engineering standpoint, it is antithetical to pretty much everything we are trained to do. So I very much dislike it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Is Mitsubishi trying real hard to built their market share? What do you base that comment on?
    You're probably right - MMNA is trying to leave.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I testdrove the Mirage Manual, and was sorely disappointed.
    The gears are narrow (unlike the spark 1.2 which has very wide gear spacing), making the mirage drive just like any other car, albeit very lightweight.

There's sufficient power; but what I lacked in the Mirage that the Spark had, was Android Auto.

My biggest gripe with the mirage however, is, that my left knee hits the steering wheel, even with the seat all the way down, and the steering wheel tilted all the way up.
    That's pretty disappointing. I don't think this happened to the Spark.
    The spark in my opinion is made for taller people. Higher upright seating position, more legroom.
    I'm 6'4", with a 36" inseam, so that was a big no-no for me.

I'm currently contemplating between the Spark 1.2 manual, or the 1.4 CVT.
    Will testdrive soon.
    Might actually end up with a Sonic, will see.

The one thing I preferred that the Mirage had, was the gas mileage.
    I wished the Spark would have come in a 3 cylinder format (375-400cc per cylinder), or, the Mirage would have telescopic steering, the driver seat would be placed lower (it's sitting on a rail that's like 3 inches above the floor, they could have provided lower rails), and the Mirage would have larger trunk space. The G4 (sedan version) has decent trunk space, but the hatchback model fits only a large suitcase and a backpack. Too small for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ProDigit For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-17-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Was happy with the Spark until the head gasket started to leak externally. Was unhappy the service department told me it was not leaking. Traded car back to dealer and told him it was the last I would even walk across the street for a GM anything even if it was a gift.
    I have been a shadetree and an employed mechanic, ship's engineer (diesel and steam), aircraft mech and sheetmetal repair and fabricator and repaired a Mitsu 2.6 leaking head gasket. I can identify a leaking head gasket.
    Karl

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-17-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    I testdrove the Mirage Manual, and was sorely disappointed.
    The gears are narrow (unlike the spark 1.2 which has very wide gear spacing), making the mirage drive just like any other car, albeit very lightweight.

There's sufficient power; but what I lacked in the Mirage that the Spark had, was Android Auto.

My biggest gripe with the mirage however, is, that my left knee hits the steering wheel, even with the seat all the way down, and the steering wheel tilted all the way up.
    That's pretty disappointing. I don't think this happened to the Spark.
    The spark in my opinion is made for taller people. Higher upright seating position, more legroom.
    I'm 6'4", with a 36" inseam, so that was a big no-no for me.

I'm currently contemplating between the Spark 1.2 manual, or the 1.4 CVT.
    Will testdrive soon.
    Might actually end up with a Sonic, will see.

The one thing I preferred that the Mirage had, was the gas mileage.
    I wished the Spark would have come in a 3 cylinder format (375-400cc per cylinder), or, the Mirage would have telescopic steering, the driver seat would be placed lower (it's sitting on a rail that's like 3 inches above the floor, they could have provided lower rails), and the Mirage would have larger trunk space. The G4 (sedan version) has decent trunk space, but the hatchback model fits only a large suitcase and a backpack. Too small for me.
    I'd recommend getting the manual version of the Spark. I'm on the Spark sub-reddit page often and it's a non stop stream of owners complaining about their JATCO CVT7 failing well before 100k miles. I haven't heard of that happening yet, since 2014, to a Mirage owner.

At 6'4" bro, I think you don't need to be considering a subcompact period, that sounds like hell. Have you checked out the Ford Maverick?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    At 6'4" bro, I think you don't need to be considering a subcompact period, that sounds like hell. Have you checked out the Ford Maverick?
    The Maverick has less room in it than a Mirage. I was really disappointed.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anyone who buys a GM product these days is a much braver man than me!

If I didn't fit in a Mirage, I would be looking @ Toyota, Honda, or Mazda vehicles (& nothing else).

I wouldn't mind owning a used Outllander Sport with 5-speed manual, however.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-18-2022),Fummins (06-17-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Anyone who buys a GM product these days is a much braver man than me!

If I didn't fit in a Mirage, I would be looking @ Toyota, Honda, or Mazda vehicles (& nothing else).

I wouldn't mind owning a used Outllander Sport with 5-speed manual, however.
    Forget about Mazda. Actually, forget about most Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, or any other Asian car. They're not made for tall people, though some models do work.

If you want a brand for tall people, only Dodge makes them. Ford is also pretty tall, and I can't complain about chevrolet size wise.
    Though chevrolet has a lot od reliability issues.

My issue with the mirage was mainly with the manual version.
    Too bad hardly anyone makes manual gearboxes anymore.

Toyota used to be a hard ride. Their suspension felt cheap, and their cars always are very uninspiring to drive (think matrix).

If I wouldn't get a spark, I might get a sonic, or go with a kia optima. Very reliable.
    But forget about the Rio, or Elantra's version of it. My knees hit the dashboard.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    If I wouldn't get a spark, I might get a sonic, or go with a kia optima. Very reliable.
    "Kia redesigned the Optima for the 2011 model year. And, as is often the case, the redesign had its teething issues. CarComplaints ranks the 2011 Kia Optima as the worst model year to buy. And by far the most prevalent issue is engine failure.

Multiple owner reports talk about engines seizing, often on the highway. There have also been numerous reports of cars bursting into flame. The issue was so serious and prevalent, Forbes reports, that there was a class-action lawsuit against Kia. Eventually, the automaker recalled, among other vehicles, 2011-2014 Optimas equipped with 2.0-liter and 2.4-liter four-cylinder engines. However, CarComplaints reports engine failure was still occurring in some 2015 Optimas.

The seizing issue was caused by metal debris that had been left from the manufacturing process. Over time, that debris would get mixed up with the oil, and clog the oil lines. These issues are why Consumer Reports gave the 2012 Optima its worst reliability score.

CarComplaints also considers the 2013 Optima to be one to avoid. Although Motor Trend reported no issues with its long-term 2013 Kia Optima, the 2013 model actually has more complaints than the 2011 model. In addition to the engine issues, 2013 Optimas are known to experience steering problems, with the cars pulling to one side or the steering failing completely.

According to CR owner reports, the steering problems also appear in 2011 and 2012 Optimas. There are numerous reports of the cars pulling to one side, clicking sounds coming from the steering column, and the wheel feeling ‘notchy’ or difficult to turn. It appears, based on one CarComplaints report, that most of these issues relate to the steering column itself.

2013 and 2014 Optimas have also had their share of problems. There’s currently a recall out for 2013-2014 models equipped with both the 2.4-liter four-cylinder and 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engines. The enginesÂ’ low-pressure fuel lines can crack and leak, which poses a fire risk. Kia claims only 1% of vehicles are affected. Still, that's about 164,000 Optimas. It’s not clear exactly whatÂ’s causing the cracking, but engine bay heat appears to be the main culprit.

There’s another fuel-line-related recall, this time affecting 2011-2017 Optimas. However, this only affects Optimas that have already had their engines replaced, or had their knock-detection sensors upgraded. The high-pressure fuel pipe leading from the fuel pump may have been damaged or installed incorrectly, which could lead to a fuel leak.

The Kia Optima was redesigned in 2016, and although it received fewer complaints than previous model years, some issues did crop up. Some 2.4-liter models had to be recalled due to cracking front driveshafts. CarComplaints also reports some owners experienced window regulator failure, although this appears to be a rare occurrence. Finally, CR reports sunroof-equipped models have had issues with their sunroofs failing to close, the tracks warping, or simply rattling due to worn seals.

CarComplaints reports almost no issues with 2017-2019 Optimas. And, with a redesign coming up for the 2021 model year, these will likely be offered at a discounted price soon. That being said, none of the 2016 Optima’s flaws are necessarily deal-breakers, provided proper recall work has been performed.

However, some 2017 and 2018 Optimas have been recalled, but this only applies to the hybrid models. And some 2019 models have also been recalled, due to a software error with their front-collision warning systems. Of these, the 2019 Kia Optima has the highest CR reliability score."

Taken from https://www.motorbiscuit.com/kia-opt...e-best-to-buy/

KIA/Hyundai vehicles look great, but they aren't getting my money. Their latest models may be better, but they were pedaling some junk not all that long ago. No brand impresses these days, but there are some brands I wouldn't waste my time looking at.

If I was 6' 4", I wouldn't own a Mirage either. I am about 6' 1", & I think my old 1990 Ford Festiva had more up front seating room than my current Mirage. It was a much smaller 2 door hatchback designed by Mazda, built by KIA, and sold by Ford. The sitting position of a Mirage is not all that spectacular, but I like it better than our Ford Focus cars used for driver's education. I liked my Festiva. I used to be a fan of KIA, but I have lost faith in them.