Thread: Ugh, just swapped the winters on the Mirage. Big brake service due this weekend.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Ugh, just swapped the winters on the Mirage. Big brake service due this weekend.

Lots of rust build up, going to need a full brass brush, maybe a dremel. It's bad. Got some noises starting, can tell the pads are beginning to stick.

Going to be a full tear down. Lube the calipers, lube the non friction points, grind the ridges off the rotors, grind all the rust away. Once I'm done I'll saturate the bare metal bits not needing lube with an anti rust compound. After that I'll do the winter undercoating on the rest of the car.

40,000 and 2 canadian winters. If I dont do it now, it'll probably be new calipers before next spring!

Anybody want photos? Has anybody here done a full service job? I see lots of lube jobs but not much for full rust removal...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    wd40 makes a fine caliper rust preventative
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    wd40 makes a fine caliper rust preventative
    I'm costing the rest of the car in 15w40 motor oil, that's what the brakes will get as well. Its SO much cheaper than wd40.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry, fluid film. The oil only gets used in a few spots. I keep forgetting my plan.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'd like to see how bad the corrosion is. From what I remember doing the brakes on our 2010 Caravan rust was a non-issue right up to 2017, the last time I did them. I get a lot of Asian cars rust oddly, in areas NA cars don't or very quickly, but to date all the Mirages I know of have rust free bodies. I can't speak to the drivelines but I'm really interested to see.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rust has been an issue with my brakes on my 2017. At 25,000 miles they started making noise. I removed the calipers and found the inner pads seized in the perches and had to free them up, clean and lube. At 55,000 miles they started making noise, but were at minimum thickness. I replaced the pads and rotors recently and found the pads were frozen in the perches again. The inner pad was almost gone and outer pad still had 1/4 life.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Rust has been an issue with my brakes on my 2017. At 25,000 miles they started making noise. I removed the calipers and found the inner pads seized in the perches and had to free them up, clean and lube. At 55,000 miles they started making noise, but were at minimum thickness. I replaced the pads and rotors recently and found the pads were frozen in the perches again. The inner pad was almost gone and outer pad still had 1/4 life.
    I'm not too far different in mileage on my '17 than you were when your brake problems started. Sigh. I should really pull a drum and my wheels and have a good look at everything before the really bad part of winter begins.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Every dealer here recommends brake service once a year. We've had it about 2 years now. Oops!

I'll take some pics and start a thread on the weekend.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure if it helps but I just replaced my pads/rotors back in September. Rusty? Surprisingly, not as bad as I thought it'd. It has gone through 3 seasons of some really tough winters and salty roads in Minnesota. I do go to the self car wash about once every other week depending on how dirty the car is.

When I was in the process of removing the rotor/caliper bolts, I did spray WD40 around those area and let it settle for a bit. While removing the rotors, I did have to 'hammer' the rotor but it wasn't too bad too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)