Thread: Cash back Credit Cards

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cash back Credit Cards

It's not really a MPG enhancer but it increases your $MPG! They seem to be an easy way to get 5% more mileage for free. Currently I am using the premier cash back card with Bank of America to get 4.5% cashback on gas up to $2,500 per quarter all year. If you don't qualify for premier you only get 3% back.

BOA Cash Rewards Card
    https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...k-credit-card/

Other options include rotating categories such as Chase card or Discover card to get 5% during one quarter per year.

Some lesser known ones are Fort Knox Federal Credit Union Visa Platinum unlimited 5% back gas card.
    https://www.fortknoxfcu.org/visa.html
    Also Ducks unlimited cash back 5% Gas card
    https://www.firstbankcard.com/ducksu...page/visaplat/

I might try one of the funky ones eventually but for now the BOA one has been working for me. What card do you guys use or do you try to only pay cash?

We have a chain in NJ called Diesel and Gas (At least they have the same paint job) that only takes cash but they are the lowest advertised prices. I never use them because the 4.5% back ends up being cheaper elsewhere. My "go to" station has a $0.10 discount every Wednesday I try to hit. I am pretty consistently $0.20-$0.40 bellow the AAA national average even in NJ with Full Service only.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey! That's pretty good getting another few % added to your mileage,

I have something similar with a local bank if I use my VISA at petrocanada there's a 2-3% reduction at the POS. I never really checked the details, maybe I should. 3% move me that much closer to the 50 mpg club.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 946 Posts
    I've got a few cashback reward visa cards. Get a decent cash back on grocery and gas purchases, and a bit less on recurring bill payments, pharmacy and other stuff. I've got around $500 built up on the one card this year. Not sure about the other one. There is a $100-120 yearly fee but if you use it enough it pays for itself.

Good thing I just checked what I get back. One of my cards changed, now they only pay 2% on gas purchases damnit. Just like cell phone plans, they keep coming out with better offers all the time.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-06-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    Reasonably Priced Car[/IMG]

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 37.0 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We use our costco Citi card for gas it gives 4% back for fuel, 3% restaurants, 2% costco and 1% all others. We only use it for gas restaurants and costco