View Poll Results: Is the type of transmission important to you?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would ONLY buy a manual shift.

18 60.00%
  • Offer me an automatic, or I'm out of here!

5 16.67%
  • If I like the car, the transmission doesn't matter.

7 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you get a Mirage if it only came with an automatic transmission?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    In the quantities they're buying oil in for all the different vehicles they make, going to synthetic is going to add maybe $30 to the price of the car. Totally worth it.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Here in PH, our gear oil is GL-4 full Dino manufactured by Amalie oil company in USA. I don't know what batch year, but Mitsubishi-Philippines and Amalie have this agreement for about 10 years now. I don't have enough trust in this oil, my former brand really drained the gear oil at 5K and replaced it with a FS made by Fuch Germany, although it is not stated in the manual. That car is MT, but the oil drained really looked like ATF. The other car we have when drained at 5T km, have those very noticeable metallic powders especially on its magnetized drained plug.

So, its kind of traditional now in my part to replace the gear oil as early as that. Our family owns a 1979 mirage which is still in running condition, but has developed a sort of whining transmission sound after few years of use.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The manual transmission here in Europe is crucial to sell high volumes of this car, targeted at cost concious customers. As I hate so say it, but I guess that Mitsubishi won't have a lot of success with it, considering that there are *a lot* of other cheap, manual, sub-compact cars on the market here.
    The CVT transmission is the main reason I consider buying a Mirage / Space Star and one of the strongest features, distinguishing it from the masses of cars from other brands in Europe.

As fas as I know, the Mirage plays in a league that's only inhabited by three other cars: the Nissan Micra, Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz. The common feature / option is a CVT transmission.
    Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of other small cars with "automatic" transmission on the market, but I really don't count a sequential-semi-automatic or double-clutch gearbox as automatic (they only have automatic clutches, with DSG engaging the next highest gear for seamless acceleration, but as soon as you shift down, the involuntary shaking and head-banging begins ) with exactly the same mechanical components as a manual gearbox, added with tons of electronics to keep it up and running. That system may be good for extra-urban or highway driving and there's no loss in performance to a manual whatsoever, but for dense urban traffic, that solution is just silly.
    Conventional torque conversion automatic gearboxes usually don't find their way into cars as small as the Mirage and only show up with 4 gears (an 8 gear ZF transmission - as found in current 3-7 series BMW - is perfect, but would probably weigh about 25% of that sub-compact car, thus negating the potential mileage benefit) and horrible mileage.
    As of now (September 2013), the Mirage doesn't have any serious competition on the European market in that segment. The other sub-compact cars with CVT either lack essential features and are way to expensive (a Nissan Micra with CVT and automatic AC is pretty close to €20k (incl. 19% taxes).

Having choices is always good, so i don't really understand why Mitsubishi dropped the manual option for NZ.
    Probably it's only due to manufacturing convenience... NZ is geographically way closer to potential Asian markets than it is to Europe or North- and South America. With an overwhelming majority of automatic gearboxes being sold in the Asian / Oceanian region, along with having the controls on the right hand side it may be simply easier and logistically cheaper to only churn out CVT models for those markets.

As for my driving preferences: I love my 10 year old, manual, 5-gear Toyota turbo diesel on the highway or on rural roads - just as much as I absolutely hate it in city traffic. IMHO the Mirage with CVT as the perfect solution for urban, non-hybrid driving.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M-K For This Useful Post:

spacester (10-25-2013)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    i would not consider it without cvt

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I consider my pocket, at 2000 euro price difference between manual and CVT I can get more than 1200 L fuel. 1200x20 = 24000 km driving .... uhm .... yeap manual it is!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    driving 24000km with a manual .......yeap cvt it is :P haha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I prefer a manual, but the us model with CVT gets better fuel economy in the city 34 vs 37 and I do mostly city driving... would be buying the car to deliver pizzas. so a cvt is way more convenient in some aspect when driving 90-100 miles in one day. also my wife csnt drive standard, but I am weary to buy the cvt now that ive read the push button start problem thread. im gonna see how the car sells and perhaps snag a manual se version for cheap if they don't have too mny issues... otherwise I may wait for the next year model,

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
    I prefer a manual, but the us model with CVT gets better fuel economy in the city 34 vs 37 and I do mostly city driving... would be buying the car to deliver pizzas. so a cvt is way more convenient in some aspect when driving 90-100 miles in one day. also my wife csnt drive standard, but I am weary to buy the cvt now that ive read the push button start problem thread. im gonna see how the car sells and perhaps snag a manual se version for cheap if they don't have too mny issues... otherwise I may wait for the next year model,
    your ofcourse not the only one waiting to see what happens with that start isseu.
    thats wy i dont understand wy there is no officiele statement from Mi about it
    this will cost them sales..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would only buy a manual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Bretts, the starting issue isn't only with the push button start models, its also with manual start. I'm confident Mitsu will address this eventually though.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)