Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Renegade Performance (Mirage aftermarket parts & products)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    A turbocharger can most certainly increase efficiency. I am interested in a variable boost turbo for both mileage and performance.
    Oh, I don't know about that. Power gains, I agree but efficiency? Usually - at the expense of increased fuel consumption to accommodate the increased air delivery.

Mitsubishi has used turbos in the past but didn't here - I'm guessing this is due to agreements with Thailand to build this as an eco-car in Laem Chabang.

Also - we've had more than one report of a failed head gasket. I would be concerned about increasing compression ratios more than what they already are.

Last edited by Eggman; 11-07-2019 at 02:48 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site. Very cool stuff you are planning. I look forward to hearing more about it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Powershiftmatt, I have a question for you.

This generation Mirage is recognized as the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid car on the market today. Many here (especially on this forum) were drawn to the car because efficiency is the primary design aspect of the car.

Do you have any plans or interest to improve on the Mirage efficiency?

Personally speaking, I don't see this car as a race car - not at all. The physical layout does not lend itself to high-performance acceleration, braking or cornering. There are many, many other platforms that are better suited for racing and the money would be better spent starting with that rather than trying to get a Mirage just to the same level of performance as another car can provide in stock form.

So what do you think? It's just another way of looking at performance, but it's what the Mirage does best.
    You’re not wrong whatsoever. However, I have a different take. While the mirage is narrow and slightly tall; it is a featherweight. The fit doesn’t make sense either, but Spoon has made a hell of a racing effort with their Fits
    A car may not be capable, so I just work to make it that way.

Efficiency comes in many forms. Some of the lightweight pieces we will be doing of course will help with that as well. Cutting weight helps handling, fuel economy and everything in between. Making the car handle better also helps efficiency because you can maintain speed through corners rather than braking and accelerating again.
    In my particular car efficiency is the least of my concerns but I’ll wager it’ll maintain a 30+ MPG average even built. Shoot my DSM gets high 20s and it’s got some serious power
    The exhaust system we will be doing never hurts either. Getting air out of the motor increases VE and therefore helps with fuel economy as well. Realistically when driven normally the only thing that’ll hurt efficiency in a big way is the downforce I’ll be adding and of course much wider tires. Otherwise, it’ll still be pretty darn good.
    I really like this question a lot! I’d say the weight saving items and just making the car handle better (stock they’re not great obviously) will help yield more in that regard.
    2017 Mirage - track project and DD
    1990 Talon TSi - E3 16G turbo, FIC 980s, 27psi, DSMlink, tons of mods. The heartbreaker.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Welcome to the site. Very cool stuff you are planning. I look forward to hearing more about it.
    Thank you so much I’ve learned a lot about this platform on here!
    1990 Talon TSi - E3 16G turbo, FIC 980s, 27psi, DSMlink, tons of mods. The heartbreaker.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, I don't know about that. Power gains, I agree but efficiency? Usually - at the expense of increased fuel consumption to accommodate the increased air delivery.

Mitsubishi has used turbos in the past but didn't here - I'm guessing this is due to agreements with Thailand to build this as an eco-car in Laem Chabang.

Also - we've had more than one report of a failed head gasket. I would be concerned about increasing compression ratios more than what they already are.
    Head gasket failure is always a concern. Keep boost low at first is the way to go. I’m shooting for 8 psi to start. It’s all about keeping IATs low and having a stable tune.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How much for the rear sway bar with delivery to California?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    How much for the rear sway bar with delivery to California?
    230$ shipped

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Powershiftmatt For This Useful Post:

gone.a (11-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

We've had head gasket failures in the stock Mirage engines???

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    We've had head gasket failures in the stock Mirage engines???
    Yes, it has been reported here.

Why do you ask?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, it has been reported here.

Why do you ask?

Under what conditions? I thought these cars were the bastions of reliability? If I wanted to replace head gaskets I'd have gotten a Neon.