Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: sudden loss of power

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Right on. I wonder what a high-end reader would tell you about your Mirage? Maybe you can talk your way into a free diagnostic at the dealer, or some other garage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i dont doubt i could get it scanned correctly on tuesday before i go out of town. i will probably check the abs sensors and the wiring under the kick panel tomorrow since its supposed to be around 70° and sunny then cold again monday and tuesday.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Most cars are bad. Wet floors all winter. Use cheap rubber floor mats that rarely get emptied. I pulled the "carpet" from one car cause it was soaked from to back. Some get so bad the gas door release handle freezes to the floor. Some drivers are good and give a shat, emptying the mats out when there's a pond forming but others are so special they want me to put sandbags in the back for traction or install awd tires.
    Geezuz, it's a wonder every car doesn't have major intermittent connection issues. These Mirages are made better than I could ever imagine.

Does gender have anything to do with who are the whiners that expect everything done for them? Actually, this is a good time to ask what mix of gender the drivers are and which Mirages have fewer issues with a certain gender?
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 11-09-2019 at 05:00 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    i had to drive across town this morning and there were no issues. i have a flipped over passenger side mat from another vehicle in place as a winter floor mat which is less than ideal. if i vaccumed the interior more than 3 times it would surprise me. as for salt, most places in this state use magnesium chloride to treat the roads or crushed red rocks and sand. water doesnt last very long out here if your not by it. this is pretty much the high desert.
    Huh, you shouldn't have corrosion then. And the connections should be dry. Maybe a layer of aluminum oxide has formed on the connector pins preventing good contact. I'm just guessing here.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Huh, you shouldn't have corrosion then. And the connections should be dry. Maybe a layer of aluminum oxide has formed on the connector pins preventing good contact. I'm just guessing here.
    it happened again tonight after it started getting cold out so i need to look at the connections

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Mirage has shuttered out and stalled out randomly a few times, mostly backing out of my driveway. But I would be getting yours looked at by a good mechanic. Real pain to live with your car like that sorry

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My Mirage has shuttered out and stalled out randomly a few times, mostly backing out of my driveway. But I would be getting yours looked at by a good mechanic. Real pain to live with your car like that sorry
    im no stranger to stalling my car either. but ive had only one or two random stalls where the engine died. this is more the car wont rev past 2k or accelrate past 20 if im going less than 20. it really feels like limp mode but i dont know what would cause that unless my maf died. the connections feels likely cause and wouldn't be surprised if it was a bad ground or corroded wire. on my old jetta tdi i had a problem like this a few times but it was always weird and different. the diesel ate through my fuel lines twice, the maf sensor died twice, the turbo died and then finally the clutch disintegrated. as too finding a good mechanic, if you know kne who specializes in mitsubishis in the denver area let me know. i dont have time or another vehicle to drive that i could leave my car at the mechanics for something i can diagnose and fix. i drove all day today again and didnt have any problems until it got cold so i dont have a great hypothesis of what could be going wrong.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Keep us updated, benwerks.

I'm curious to find out at the end of the day what your issue is and the cause, etc. because it seems like something that could randomly malfunction with any of us Mirage owners.

My stalling out on a damp day may be wiring related, but yea hope to hear good news coming your way with your car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey benwerks what kind of gas are you using? Do you stick to Top Tier fuels?

Though I doubt bad fuel is causing this, it wouldn't hurt to try some Techron fuel system cleaner.

BTW, any codes yet?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey benwerks what kind of gas are you using? Do you stick to Top Tier fuels?

Though I doubt bad fuel is causing this, it wouldn't hurt to try some Techron fuel system cleaner.

BTW, any codes yet?
    I think in his first post he said he ran techron through it.