Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traction Control

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    We are getting hammered here in the Falls. Got about a foot so far, the plows are still being readied. I did an errand and there's a wicked azz hill going up the Niagara Escarpment, the road is probably 25 degrees in spots. With TC on no sweat climbing out.

For giggles I drove down, turned around, turned TC off headed back up. Nope. Nyet. Nada. And before you comment, I've got 40+ years of battling winters with lake effect storms in everything from from an Isetta to a Mk VII.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Traction control works pretty darn good in these cars. One less thing to worry or complain about.

It (and ABS?) kicked in just the other day. Funny thing - it happened while turning onto a side street and the road didn't look that bad. While I wasn't going fast enough to wind up in the ditch, how would things have turned out if I had my traction control turned off because I mistakenly thought I could react faster than the vehicle electronics?

Sometimes I have fun with the TC off. For everyday use, I think it's a great, well-thought out feature.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Traction control works pretty darn good in these cars. One less thing to worry or complain about.

It (and ABS?) kicked in just the other day. Funny thing, it happened while turning on to a side street and the road didn't look that bad. While I wasn't going fast enough to wind up in the ditch because I just wasn't going very fast, how would things have turned out if I had my traction control turned off because I mistakenly thought I could react faster than the vehicle electronics?
    When ABS/TC made first appearances I had my doubts being a bit of a Luddite. My wife had a couple of ABS events that prevented an accident, with my kid onboard. I was convinced of it's merit after those. I do enjoy the TC, the manual tranny is still there, still needs our input, it's just enhanced by the TC, which isn't a replacement for our judgement.

I've heard this winter is going to be a brutal one for all of us in snowbelt areas. I hope everyone has their winters as after this storm availability is going to be limited.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I've heard this winter is going to be a brutal one for all of us in snowbelt areas. I hope everyone has their winters as after this storm availability is going to be limited.
    Funny you should mention it - last winter I didn't put on my winter snow tires and didn't really notice a difference getting around. Probably due to conditions.

So far this is a heavy, wet snow - the kind that breaks limbs. Initial forecasts for the Cleveland area were calling for just under a foot of accumulation, but so far they've dialed that back to 3" - 4".

Be safe out there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One advantage of leaving the traction control on: straighter acceleration in slippery conditions.

I was behind a box truck yesterday that drifted (a lot) while accelerating from a stop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just had my first ride through a pretty decent snowfall here in the GTA. My tires are crap but this little ******* got through everything no problem. Must say the traction control does work great. Impressive so far in the snow. Gets through anything...so far

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I was the only one who made it up a moderate hill in Niagara Falls, it was midnight and there were 8-9 cars just stopped or spinning madly trying to climb up.

I pulled into the opposing lane, nobody was coming downhill and the little Mirage merrily drove on up, the TC light was barely on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    TC helps when I'm just casually driving. It's actually quite useful if you don't want to spin out. With TC, if you try to 'spin' out or attempt to, the car will automatically adjust itself to not spin out. Turn it off and its all on your driving skills, haha. It's fun but the wife doesn't like it lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)