Thread: Rustproofing

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rustproofing

Yesterday, finished, for now the rustproofing with Fluid Film.
    Just in time, got blasted today with around 6-7 inches of snow here in Pontiac, Michigan.
    Still snowing.
    Will be trying out the fog lights on drive home tonight when I leave work.
    Will post later.
    By the way, so far, this little cars goes great in the snow.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fluid film works very nicely! If you want a permanent solution I’d suggest cleaning the underside of the car very thoroughly and getting the POR15 metal prep and POR15 paint and doing the underside. I’m doing exactly that on mine this weekend. Stuff is epic and absolutely wont wear off.
    2017 Mirage - track project and DD
    1990 Talon TSi - E3 16G turbo, FIC 980s, 27psi, DSMlink, tons of mods. The heartbreaker.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wouldn't something like Line-x be more durable than paint?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Wouldn't something like Line-x be more durable than paint?
    My dealer did line-x on the underside of my '14, Krown did the inside panels and whatnot.

I figure that car was rustproofed as good as it gets. Until it was wiped out at the intersection.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Line x is not a good rust proofing product. When it eventually chips a little on the underside of the car it will actually accelerate rust. Por15 is a fantastic product but to really do it right requires way more than just slapping it on in the driveway.

Fluid film is what I use and have been happy with it since 2016 when I first used it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Powershiftmatt (11-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Line x is not a good rust proofing product. When it eventually chips a little on the underside of the car it will actually accelerate rust. Por15 is a fantastic product but to really do it right requires way more than just slapping it on in the driveway.

Fluid film is what I use and have been happy with it since 2016 when I first used it.
    Absolutely nailed it; came to say this. Line x is HORRIBLE for undercoating as when it inevitably wears, it traps moisture.

Do POR15 with PROPER prep and the car will literally last forever in terms of rust being an issue. Trust me on this.
    2017 Mirage - track project and DD
    1990 Talon TSi - E3 16G turbo, FIC 980s, 27psi, DSMlink, tons of mods. The heartbreaker.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Powershiftmatt For This Useful Post:

Pryme (11-13-2019)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rust is iron oxide it is formed when iron meets oxygen. Remove the oxygen by coating it with an oil (fluid film, oil, grease, etc) or wax product and it will remain at bay. I am using the wax product similar to Krown on my Mirage. I bought in in January 2017 and ran it that winter with nothing. In fall of 2018 I spent an entire day at the shop and removed the door panels, rear hatch panels, rocker panel plugs, front inner fender panels, lower valance, and inner cargo hatch area panels and sprayed the crap out of the Mirage using an overkill of 5 quarts with the air sprayer kit.

Last month I did some tire and brake work and discovered this product was still there everywhere I sprayed it and the only place I needed to reapply it was the front lower part of the subframe/cradle and the rear wheel wells. The product I used is called Rust Avert made by Les Frickshun and it's really friggin' good stuff...........
    http://www.lesfrickshun.com/clear-ru...ventative.html

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The limitation of a paint or undercoating product is that you can't easily paint/undercoat everything that you want to protect (like brake lines, fittings, fasteners, inside frame rails, etc). And sometimes you don't want everything covered with a paint-like coating.

I think Krown (and products like Rust Avert) represent the best and easiest overall approach to rust prevention. These products can be atomized through sprayers and fogged into every panel and crevice in (and under) the car. It covers everything...even places you can't reach or see. Krown's only downside is that eventually it wears off...so yearly applications are recommended.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, I am a little concerned about the fluid film wearing off and yearly applications.
    This was a quick and dirty proofing to just have something in place. Will review over the course of this winter to see how it holds up and if needs touch up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    Yes, I am a little concerned about the fluid film wearing off and yearly applications.
    This was a quick and dirty proofing to just have something in place. Will review over the course of this winter to see how it holds up and if needs touch up.
    Fluid film, once layered up a couple times, only needs touch ups in low hanging locations. I barely put any on this year, especially the truck as it sits higher, because its everywhere still. Even if you think it's not you just take your fingernail to some metal and it's there under your nail