Thread: £$^*&%£"! Windows - won't clean

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

£$^*&%£"! Windows - won't clean

I used the basic, ammonia based window cleaner. scrubbed until it squeaked, wiped it dry.

that night all I saw looking the windshield was streaks and marks.

Got a better cleaner or method in mind?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I work near a factory (ICL fertilizer plant) which is probably Europe's largest air polluter of hydroflouric acid, and that stuff eats up glass and most other stuff! The glass on this car looks somewhat like waxpaper after a few weeks, the sort of paper used for wrapping up sandwiches. When the etched glass gets wet, it becomes more or less transparent again, but will dry only translucent. The paint also needs to be polished with a fine abrasive paste a few times a year.

Meanwhile I have lots of practice is repairing etched (surface partly disolved) glass, and this is how I do it:

First of all, the windshield and windows are washed thoroughly. Then I get my orbital sander, and put on a firm foam rubber disc. I sprinkle a small amount of Cerium oxide onto the slightly moist glass, and start polishing it. The glass must remain moist at all times while polishing, but should not be wet. For moistening I have and old window cleaner bottle filled with water, and use that sparingly. The mirrors and corners where the sander can't get to are done by hand. Doing the entire outside glass on one car can take the best part of the day, but polishing a "normal" car's glass can be done in about half an hour.
    That way, the etched glass of the car windows becomes fully transparent again, saving me having to buy everything new. Unfortunately it only last as long as it takes for the fumes to eat up the surface again.

What do they do with hydroflouric acid? They receive natural phosphate from the Dimona area, and spray it with hydroflouric acid to loosen it up and make the phosphate better for fertilization. The strong smelling steam contains hydroflouric acid from the process and exits the chimney for all to enjoy.
    Last edited by foama; 11-09-2019 at 08:52 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-09-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I work near a factory (ICL fertilizer plant) which is probably Europe's largest air polluter of hydroflouric acid, and that stuff eats up glass and practically anything! The glass on this car looks like waxpaper after a few weeks, the sort of paper used for wrapping up sandwiches. When the etched glass gets wet, it is transparent again, but will dry only translucent.
    Meanwhile I have lots of practice is repairing etched (surface partly disolved) glass, and this is how I do it:

First of all, the windshield and windows are washed thoroughly. Then I get my orbital sander, and put on a firm foam rubber disc. I sprinkle a small amount of Cerium oxide onto the slightly moist glass, and start polishing it. The glass must remain moist at all times while polishing, but should not be wet. For moistening I have and old window cleaner bottle filled with water, and use that sparingly. The mirrors and corners where the sander can't get to are done by hand. Doing the entire outside glass on one car can take the best part of the day, but polishing a "normal" car's glass can be done in about half an hour.
    That way, the etched glass of the car windows becomes fully transparent again, saving me having to buy everything new. Unfortunately it only last as long as it takes for the fumes to eat up the surface again.
    Wow, why isn't the factory held liable for the damage to your glass? I know the EU has all sorts of rules and fines for polluting so why is nothing being done?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The factory is in an industrial zone, bordering directly to the residential area of a large city. The levels of permitted pollution are such that they can continue...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Nickles has recommended dish detergent for cleaning windows. Use sparingly?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I have the same problem, permanent calcium deposit spots on the glass. Ive tried everything, mother's wax, glass cleaners, different brush, razors, nothing works.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Interior or exterior ? I hate cleaning interior windshields on vehicles b/c you have to be a gymnast/contortionist (the Jeep wasn't bad, it was near vertical). Interior I use a couple of (water) damp (not soaking wet) micro fibre cloths, I use a "dirty" one for the 1st pass on them and then a clean one for 2nd pass.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    been using Acid Rain Remover and it removes the marks on the windows so well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post
    Interior or exterior ? I hate cleaning interior windshields on vehicles b/c you have to be a gymnast/contortionist (the Jeep wasn't bad, it was near vertical). Interior I use a couple of (water) damp (not soaking wet) micro fibre cloths, I use a "dirty" one for the 1st pass on them and then a clean one for 2nd pass.
    I haven't tried those. And....I have a stash of the ones on sale. I'll report back.