Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing a trailer with the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidRick View Post
    Quite well. This past April I purchased a Nissan Leaf as a second car, which I use for my wintertime money hustles. (Delivering pizza, driving Uber/Lyft). Since April, the Mirage only gets used for business purposes, and it has done perfectly fine. The combination of towing and use of the air conditioner really murders the gas mileage, but besides that gripe, the car is still great. I’m on my original tires, rotated regularly. Doing oil changes with Mobil 1 full synthetic about every 6,000 miles.

It is nice to keep the mess in one car, and have a “nice” car to keep clean and free of mess. Still, I love my little Mirage and plan on keeping her as a little three cylinder pickup truck for a long time.
    Hey RapidRick! Good to hear your Mirage is still working for you. It looked like your last post was clear back in January 2017 so thanks for the update and hope you'll keep us updated!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have been having great luck with this iron farm trailer. It weighs several hundred pounds empty, but the mirage pulls it with ease.
    It's very controllable too, although I did have an incident when the trailer ball unscrewed this winter. That was unfortunate... Luckily the safety chains held and no one was hurt. Trailer is theoretically a tipper, but I can't tilt it by hand and there's no lift cylinder on it. Name:  KIMG0465.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  102.4 KBName:  KIMG0464.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  101.5 KB
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-07-2022),dspace9 (03-08-2019),Marklovski (04-29-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    Trailer is theoretically a tipper, but I can't tilt it by hand and there's no lift cylinder on it. ]
    Yea no more hydraulics eh, I drive big trucks with a tipper and the Mirage car at night so fun

Having a trailer hitch was about the third question I asked the guy at the old Mitsubishi dealerships during my test drive with my Mirage 5 years ago, and I remember the guy laughed at me, about the trailer hitch and the Mirage, and that no factory certified trailer hitches are certified for the Mirage, says it right in the owners manual somewhere:
    not recommended for towing.

That doesn't mean that idea hasn't crossed my mind before.

I use my Mirage to haul all kinds of lawn derbis .. many of my neighbours have big trucks, but my Mirage yard "system" works might take more trips, and my neighbour has a truck I can borrow but I never do.

Lots of scratches inside the truck of my Mirage of course, it's used, and the 5th or back door on any hatch or suv hatch wears out first, mine included .. but is pretty mint, with the yearly oiling krown rust control.

One day the Mirage might be a collectors' item.
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-08-2019 at 09:01 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

bzacon (03-09-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

One day the Mirage might be a collectors' item.
    Someone here said we're driving the modern Volkswagen Beetle, & check out what the prices are for old beetles now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-08-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Someone here said we're driving the modern Volkswagen Beetle, & check out what the prices are for old beetles now.
    Mirage is the VW Beetle of today, it's relative to the price of any other car just about on the market new, cheap; it's pretty basic, bug shaped almost. Mirage isn't probably as safe either as other cars nowadays but the VW Beetle was really unsafe, I think the gas tank was under the seat or in front of the windshield window.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just because it was mentioned, I feel the need to comment.

Stiffening the rear end, adding 16" calipers and tossing a hemi in a Mirage does not legally increase its load rating, unless you find an engineer for your local MV branch and get it certified, get a new vin, or whatever else local laws may require.

If not certified, you could have a 20 ton rear axle in the car and still get a fine for having a 3 heavyset passengers in the back seats.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

bzacon (03-09-2019)

I gotten in arguments about gvw, someone claimed you can register a vehicle for what the max combined load rating on the tires. My reply is throw some 22.5's on a Toyota and try to pull a 52' trailer and not get pulled over. You can upgrade the suspension and brakes but what about the frame?

Unless something is obviously unsafe I don't see too many issues unless you're running commercial registration, then they can be picky about everything. This one is a classic Attachment 14113

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I gotten in arguments about gvw, someone claimed you can register a vehicle for what the max combined load rating on the tires. My reply is throw some 22.5's on a Toyota and try to pull a 52' trailer and not get pulled over. You can upgrade the suspension and brakes but what about the frame?

Unless something is obviously unsafe I don't see too many issues unless you're running commercial registration, then they can be picky about everything. This one is a classic Attachment 14113
    What you dont see just out of view on the left is a Mirage pulling it all lmao

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20190403_104900.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  103.0 KB
    Here's Pack Mule with a trailer. I've been towing landscaping stones just fine too. The trick is you have to be real easy on it and go slow.
    Shake and bake baby

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LetItMarinate For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (04-29-2019),MetroMPG (04-29-2019),mohammad (07-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know about you guys but I do pretty much all my driving in Wisconsin. We don't even have registration for small trailers. Here it seems if you're under 13 tons no one has any questions for you.