Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing a trailer with the Mirage?

Towing a trailer with the Mirage?

I wonder if either transmission Mirage will have a tow rating... I'm guessing "no", officially.

People put trailer hitches on all kinds of small cars that don't have official ratings. Owning a light trailer is a good option that allows you to own an efficient (usually small) vehicle for 99% of your needs, yet still move bulky (if not heavy) items when needed.

I have a light (160 lbs empty) trailer that I use to move all kinds of things ... fairly light things, obviously:

Pedal boat...

Tree/brush trimmings...

Small sailboat ...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You should post the latest pics of the FS Darin.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I wonder if either transmission Mirage will have a tow rating... I'm guessing "no", officially.

But people put trailer hitches on all kinds of small cars.
    VW beetles have been used for towing - the old ones at 30HP or so. Farm tractors that run around 30HP likewise can tow, although not very fast. With the right gearing towing seems a possibility - if light enough to allow overall handling and braking. There are some very light trailers, like the Yakima Rack and Roll, that are great for pulling a canoe, kayak, or some light lumber/ladders or other long loads. In the case of the Yakima it is good for bikes or cargo boxes too - anything that could normally fit on a roof. With a total mass of only a couple hundred kilograms, I am confident any car could pull it (maybe even some motorcycles!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I was at a Mitsu dealer today in Australia and asked if there was a tow rating for the mirage was told no it's not been rated and there is no towbar available for it from Mitsu. He said you would not want to tow with the mirage anyway I said yes I would want to tow things. I said I used to tow with my old mini that was smaller lighter and less power so should not be a problem for the mirage. He said it would not be a good idea as if I had an accident I would not be covered by insurance.I said if there is no factory tow rating on any car in Aus then it has to follow a certain set of rules and you can still legally tow with in those set out rules he said you have done your homework then.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jamiec For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-07-2022)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Would need to keep the tongue weight down but the Mirage could handle a little bit of tow capacity i'm sure. Just be careful not to overload it as previous CVT transmissions like whats in the Lancers haven't had a lot of luck holding too much additional load before they throw the belt.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You have to be out of your mind to tow anything with a Mirage. The engine barely has enough power to overcome the drag created by its own A/C compressor. Speaking as a Mirage owner myself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    You have to be out of your mind to tow anything with a Mirage. The engine barely has enough power to overcome the drag created by its own A/C compressor. Speaking as a Mirage owner myself.
    It's not really the engine I'd be worried about. It's the brakes, suspension, tires, transmission, steering, etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good point. The last thing you want to do is overstress your CVT, if that's the transmission you have. I heard these transmissions cost somewhere in the ballpark of $5000 to replace. They are nonrepairable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I literally just... JUST got done installing a CURT hitch. Haven't used it yet to tow anything but it's a really nice piece
    Attached Images Attached Images   

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-07-2022),CROSSBOLT (12-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I need that bike rack! I can attest that one bicycle can fit in the back of the Mirage , but boy is it a tight squeeze. Not to mention you end up scuffing and breaking half of the plastic pieces inside the car trying to wedge the bike in and get it back out again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to palebeachbum For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-03-2016)