Quote Originally Posted by Tomfromparma View Post
IÂ’m just going to tell them itÂ’s for a 2001 Civic and go up there in my wifeÂ’s car with a 5 bolt pattern!
I bought a pair of Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires in December/2017 & a pair of steel rims ($50 each new). At the time, no one in town could clone a Mitsubishi tire sensor. If I want to add cloned sensors to my snow tires, I suspect that I would have to buy an Autel TS408 tool and their Autel clone-able MX-sensors. I would clone the new sensors myself & ask my local mechanic to install them (& rebalance the wheels).

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MX-Sens...09641512&psc=1

I was not aware of clone-able sensors that would work at the time of my snow tires purchase. Thus, I just dropped off the new steel rims and new Nokian snow tires at my local mechanic. He mounted/balance them for me, and I gave him a $20 bill. There's no record of what was done.

Most tire shops will probably write on the receipt that the "rims & tires" were brought in separately & not installed on the vehicle. That should cover their butt! If that's not good enough for them, it's not the type of auto shop I would do business with.

I don't see this being a problem. You are making your vehicle safer by adding snow tires. That's better than running summer tires. My TPMS dash light is now on for the winter. I call it my snow tire alert light. It reminds me that my snow tires are on my Mirage & Forester. Just in case I would forget that!

By the way - my Forester snow tires have sensors in them. $160 wasted, because they aren't cloned to my factory tires. Unless I have a tool to reprogram my car every time I change tires, adding new sensors to snow tires is a waste of money. If I can't clone my snow tires to my factory tires, I'm not messing with them.

Our TPMS don't need to be this complicated. I'm really not impressed with this feature. At one time, I owned a 1999 Ford Explorer with Firestone tires (Ford/Firestone history in the making). Thus, I get why we have this! Still don't like it!!!!