Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel prices in Europe

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    My favorite take away from all of this is the fact that tax is being charged on tax! It's bad enough that the price of the underlying commodity is so high when the world is awash in oil, it really is, but it's just blatant theft for them to have multiple layers of tax based on the prior level's value after it has tax applied!

We should should take our pitchforks and lanterns and revolt but we're too distracted watching the latest Dancing with the Stars...
    No Dr. Phil all the way, and the most dramatic episodes are Thursdays and Fridays. The punk kid with the made up accent to sound tough. Compelling TV.

It's not just gas but driving 5 hours to work or to work out, or anything. Drive drive all we do is drive. We drive to exercise. It does seem silly when you step back for a moment. I think the thing is Canada and the USA infrastructure is 95% car-based.

Taxes on taxes as well --even your paycheque gets taxed, then you go buy smarties at the corner store with your leftovers ---and you get taxed on your income-taxed income with HST. Then the bank charges you to have your money sit in their bank. Withdraw your retirement savings!? Big tax grab right there of your hard earned money. Then EVERY government of EVERY political stripe wastes YOUR money and tells you what to do. sorry haha the passion

The banks make lots of me, a mortgage even at a low rate and small mortgage compared to 90% of people my age.. it's still a scam, so the cheaper the house the better. No need to show off how much money goes to interest and that is wasteful unless you got money to burn

I like the pitchfork peasant rebellion idea, but maybe that is too far

Last edited by dspace9; 11-09-2019 at 07:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Then the bank charges you to have your money sit in their bank.
    You mean your bank charges you to keep your money with them?? Time to change banks bruh. I use a credit union.

Can't help you with taxes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You mean your bank charges you to keep your money with them?? Time to change banks bruh. I use a credit union.

Can't help you with taxes.

Sorry for my rant, I will look into credit unions. My bank fees are better than what some get stuck with, but I have to keep my house loan with them, at their rates, and that is the deal.

I find with things like cars and houses, who you deal with in person benefits you more than what bank or cooperative you deal with.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Cost of living raising with salary stagnation across the board.....welcome to 21st century Eutopia. Pitchforks coming soon to a village near you.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Cost of living raising with salary stagnation across the board.....welcome to 21st century Eutopia. Pitchforks coming soon to a village near you.
    This article might interest you Dirk Diggler, I know you are a history buff.

"The American Dream is Killing Us"
    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-10-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    What is MaxxMotion Diesel?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    What is MaxxMotion Diesel?
    Fuels in Europe need to comply with standards, and are monitored very closely. Those two sorts of MaxxMotion fuels are their own brand of "premium" fuel. What their definition of premium is, I don't know. They cost a lot more but probably make no noticeable difference in the car. The sort of stuff freaks might buy. Reminds me of those magical magnets for putting next to the air filter for better performance or was it economy or both? You just can't beat the laws of physics.
    Last edited by foama; 11-10-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Fuels in Europe need to comply with standards, and are monitored very closely. Those two sorts of MaxxMotion fuels are their own brand of "premium" fuel. What their definition of premium is, I don't know. They cost a lot more but probably make no noticeable difference in the car. The sort of stuff freaks might buy. Reminds me of those magical magnets for putting next to the air filter for better performance or was it economy or both? You just can't beat the laws of physics.
    I just wanted to clarify something. In the gas station photo you posted, regular 87 octane gas is the "super" grade??

Maybe that's like the brand name for Maxx's regular unleaded? Like how Shell is Vpower gas. Empty and meaningless marketing words, but catchy so you remember them.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Euro-Super 95 is what every new petrol (gasoline) car in Europe is made for. It is often abbreviated as "Euro Super", and comes in two varieties. E5 is most popular, containing 5% alcohol. E10 is less popular, and contains 10% alcohol. Both E5 and E10 are rated as better than 95RON and 85MON. RON and MON are standardized measuring methods. Lead in fuel is illegal. There is no "regular" kind of gasoline sold any more, only super, that being EuroSuper 95. A few brands do sell gasoline with a higher octane rating than the official standard, but it is very expensive and draws few customers.
    The MaxxMotion variants for example, have a higher octane rating (100ROZ) for petrol, and a higher cetane rating for diesel fuel, and also a very distinctly elevated price.
    Last edited by foama; 11-10-2019 at 03:43 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-10-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Funny. We have Euro 95, and Super, which is more expensive, and which is 98.

I'm a bit surprised that diesel in Germany is about the same price as petrol. Here in the Netherlands it's significantly cheaper. (€1.47 for diesel vs. €1.78 for euro95)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)