Thread: Fluid film

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Fluid film

Just bought 2 cans to test out. Do I just spray liberally and coat the entire under body?

*edit : should I power wash under first?

Last edited by Daso; 11-09-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes, have the underside clean. Spraying over dirt is simply going to fall off and leave an unprotected spot.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Best to start with a clean surface and if not going to drive in rain for a few days after. Must apply this stuff every year before winter to keep the rust at bay. Do not spray exhaust or rubber components.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    2 cans? Jesus I bought a gallon and 5 cans.

Avoid rubber. Use liberally.

I sprayed the entire underside with hot water last night to clean it up. Once it's mostly dry this afternoon, I'll get started.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Krown must be different than Fluid Film. They don't avoid anything when applying it. They literally use something that looks like a paint gun on the underside of the car and "paint" everything underneath with Krown. According to my Krown guy, it takes about 1/2 gallon of material to do a complete application on a car like a Mirage. It smokes a little when you drive the car afterwards as it burns off hot exhaust components.

Name:  krown01.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  63.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I know it's contrary to what seems normal, but don't take your car through automatic car washes if you want to preserve the undercarriage protection. I use Krown for the underside. The topside is easy to keep rust free. Just wash it before winter and seal it with NuFinish or similar.

There's hasn't been a car rusting from the outside in since the days of the Maverick.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)