Thread: Tow competition: Mirage vs F-150 Lightning...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts

Tow competition: Mirage vs F-150 Lightning...

I've emailed a youtube video maker about a "friendly" competition. A lowly, horrible, worst-car-you-can-buy, stank-nasty, unappropriate-for-American-roads, no good, feeble Mirage, versus the glorious planet saving he-man F-150 Lightning ... towing a 750 pound murdersickle on a 5' x 10' utility trailer (~1,500 pounds).

Of course, the F-150 will win, because it's so GREAT, and will save the planet while it's at it. And the Mirage, it's so feeble, I'm sure it will have a core meltdown and wreak planet-ending bad stuff to affect the Earth for generations to come.

But fo' real though. I'm about to embark on a journey of about 170 miles (or so) towing to a drop off point. Go ride the Tail of the Dragon (I'll tame that dragon a time or four). Then ride back to the tow rig, load up, and head home.

Which one will spend less time and money getting me to / from my riding adventure? What makes one the victor over the other?

• The less time spent towing?
    • The less $ spent towing?
    • The one more safe / secure towing?
    • The one that cost the least to procure?
    • The one that makes a person look cooler?

Well ... I don't know. But I think, a little bit of all that. Plus maybe other traits that the group may think of.

We (the company I work for) own an F-150 Lightning. I highly doubt the youtube channel gives $0.02 about my email and my idea. So, maybe I'll put together some crude youtube video? And, it's about to get too cold for riding ... so I'm not sure I can get this done this fall. Come to think of it, I'm not certain they'll let me borrow the Lightning. But if they do, I'll have to NOT tell them I'm going to tow with it. Aw, who am I kidding, I probably won't get anything done...

Ideas?

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I've emailed a youtube video maker about a "friendly" competition. A lowly, horrible, worst-car-you-can-buy, stank-nasty, unappropriate-for-American-roads, no good, feeble Mirage, versus the glorious planet saving he-man F-150 Lightning ... towing a 750 pound murdersickle on a 5' x 10' utility trailer (~1,500 pounds).

Of course, the F-150 will win, because it's so GREAT, and will save the planet while it's at it. And the Mirage, it's so feeble, I'm sure it will have a core meltdown and wreak planet-ending bad stuff to affect the Earth for generations to come.

But fo' real though. I'm about to embark on a journey of about 170 miles (or so) towing to a drop off point. Go ride the Tail of the Dragon (I'll tame that dragon a time or four). Then ride back to the tow rig, load up, and head home.

Which one will spend less time and money getting me to / from my riding adventure? What makes one the victor over the other?

• The less time spent towing?
    • The less $ spent towing?
    • The one more safe / secure towing?
    • The one that cost the least to procure?
    • The one that makes a person look cooler?

Well ... I don't know. But I think, a little bit of all that. Plus maybe other traits that the group may think of.

We (the company I work for) own an F-150 Lightning. I highly doubt the youtube channel gives $0.02 about my email and my idea. So, maybe I'll put together some crude youtube video? And, it's about to get too cold for riding ... so I'm not sure I can get this done this fall. Come to think of it, I'm not certain they'll let me borrow the Lightning. But if they do, I'll have to NOT tell them I'm going to tow with it. Aw, who am I kidding, I probably won't get anything done...

Ideas?

7milesout
    Maybe prioritize your list by assigning a weighted value for an overall score. Some might say safety would be the highest priority?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I agree. On the flip side of safety, it is sort of assumed anyone would want to be safe. For example, I've gone through pains to make towing that particular bike and trailer as safe as possible. I consider it safe. However, it is clearly not as safe as towing it with a heavy duty ... or heavier duty pickup truck. So, that's going to be a little difficult to weight and judge. Spreadsheet time!

The proof to me that towing with the Mirage is not as safe as either of my 2 pickups is ... yes, I do think about and am concerned I may blow a tire while towing with the Mirage. Not from the towing itself. No, the car is not really hauling much more than normal. An extra 90 pounds on the rear. But let's say I hit an object that immediately pierced one of those pizza cutter tires, and psi loss was blowout quick. And I was doing 65 mph ... would the Mirage just go nuts and be uncontrollable? I don't *think* so. But you never know. And then there's stopping. However, I mitigate the stopping issue by not getting close to the car in front. Not fool-proof, but I rarely ever have collision concerns or have to stomp down on any brakes in any car I'm driving.

I think I'll start the skeleton of a spreadsheet now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)