Thread: CVT Fluid Level from the Factory

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

CVT Fluid Level from the Factory

I have a 2017 Mirage SE that I bought brand new last year in February. I have 11,500 miles on it now. I've checked the CVT fluid level several times (always fully warmed up, parked level, running, ran the selector through the gears) and have noticed the following:

- The fluid is above the top H mark (up to the bend - easily a 1/4" past H)
    - The fluid sometimes has tiny bubbles in it (tiny, tiny bubbles)

I'm not too worried about the tiny bubbles as they are not always present. They almost always show up after a hard highway run and after running the shifter though the gears before checking. It's not foamy of heavily bubbled.

Though I've not noticed any issues (outside of normal CVT weirdness) I am a bit concerned about the overfill from the factory. Mostly because when I drain and fill at 30K I want to make sure that I put the correct amount of fluid back in. Should I put exactly how much I took out back in or should I adjust to make sure that it is inside the H section? I'm probably being overly worried for nothing since 1/4" on the stick is probably like 4 oz (100 ML) or less.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The overfill marks and concern over what they mean appears to be a common thing on small cars. In the day, an inch over the top mark on a 7 l engine might mean 1/2 qt, which was nothing for that size engine.

Now, with tiny oil pans and transmissions overfilling by an inch over might be 50% overfilled which could be catastrophic.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am wondering the same thing. My car has always been serviced at the dealership. Every 30,000 miles for the past 150,000 miles the fluid has been flushed and refilled, but I am going to be doing my first drain and refill and I noticed that my fluid is at least 2 inches over the "H" mark (also on level ground with engine warm and running). That seems extremely overfilled and I really don't want to put it back to that level. I heard that the fluid should be in the "C" range when cold and the "H" range when hot, but mine is always way above the "H".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    For people who haven't seen this. This is from the Mirage Service Manual...

Name:  fluid_check.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  100.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for posting that. I had never seen that before. In my manual it basically just says to go to the dealer for everything.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EEE11112 View Post
    In my manual it basically just says to go to the dealer for everything.
    I was surprised to see that there is zero information in the Mirage Owner's Manual regarding checking the CVT fluid level.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

And for those who haven't seen it. Here's the secret 2015 service manual download link http://mmc-manuals.ru/Mitsubishi_Mirage . A lot of the info applies to most years but a lot of the wiring schematics and pin outs are different for different years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-24-2020)