Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great youtube vid of how to properly rawdog a 2015 Mirage 5speed!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    No the real question. Can the CVT7 Mirage take this kinda abuse? I hope so considering I uber in mine.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ???

300+ hp?? Can't tell if you're serious or joking.

And what is a 'deep web crank'? Does it have anything to do with the internet?
    Haha.

Some crankshafts have the bearing beds on the very bottom of the block casting and the bearing caps are the lowest point of the block. not counting oil components. Such an arrangement can lead to torsional shifting if you try to get really serious HP from an engine. You also have the bearing caps getting pounded out of shape, etc. There are always exceptions though, like a AA/FC hemi block. It looks like the MIVEC crank is mounted up and in the block with a good deal of material around everything, which generally only helps.

I'm not kidding with the 300hp. I don't think the original Honda VTEC engines that had about 140hp to start, and eventually all the street ricers were using, were viewed as anything special until they started getting 300+ hp from them. The MIVEC hasn't even been pushed hard with a high boost turbo and proper mapping.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Pistons and rods are going to fail long before you gotta worry about the crank, mains, or block flexing. Your second point of failure will probably be the cylinder lining. At only .050" thick, I'm guessing it's not gonna hold up to as much cylinder pressures as a proper iron sleeve. That being said, the aluminum GT500 blocks also had no iron sleeves in their blocks, and they came stock with 500+ HP.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Haha.

Some crankshafts have the bearing beds on the very bottom of the block casting and the bearing caps are the lowest point of the block. not counting oil components. Such an arrangement can lead to torsional shifting if you try to get really serious HP from an engine. You also have the bearing caps getting pounded out of shape, etc. There are always exceptions though, like a AA/FC hemi block. It looks like the MIVEC crank is mounted up and in the block with a good deal of material around everything, which generally only helps.

I'm not kidding with the 300hp. I don't think the original Honda VTEC engines that had about 140hp to start, and eventually all the street ricers were using, were viewed as anything special until they started getting 300+ hp from them. The MIVEC hasn't even been pushed hard with a high boost turbo and proper mapping.
    Still doesnt answer my question though. Could the CVT hold up to this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Still doesnt answer my question though. Could the CVT hold up to this?
    For about 15 seconds!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thats all?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Thats all?
    On a good day. A transmission that is designed for a maximum of 150hp (longevity is terrible in vehicles with more than 100 hp with the CVT7). Now double that with 300hp you’re gonna just cook the clutches and burn the belts up. You would need to put in a manual transmission that could withstand that hp.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Check it out, these engines can take an ass whoppin! This is how you rawdog!

https://youtu.be/-5a1RhJwnM8
    Must be nice to have money to burn like that, oh well if the engine explodes. Where's mom's VISA card.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-01-2020)