Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: G4 reservoir is slowly leaking coolant. Update - solved: heater core hose.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Stupid question: If I explain Im not paying the $1400 at the dealership and taking it to a trusted mechanic instead, will the dealership install everything back as it should be and add coolant to make sure Im good to drive to the other place or could they sabatoge me? As Ive said before the car runs fine if I put fresh coolant in every 7 to 10 days and not let it drain to much. Are dealerships shady like this?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Can I eyeball it, the CVT cooler? To see if there is any cracks or reach into the engine bay and feel around the CVT cooler?

They shouldn't have to take your car apart to find out if your rad is leaking. I wouldn't worry about a dealer sabotage lol. Just tell them it's slowly using coolant and you want to know why? Or rent a pressure tester and try to figure it out yourself. Think of all the weed you could be with the money you save!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Can I eyeball it, the CVT cooler? To see if there is any cracks or reach into the engine bay and feel around the CVT cooler?
    I was kidding, it's unlikely that cvt cooler. I haven't heard of any issues yet. But now that I got your worried about it, you can check your cvt fluid and make sure the level isn't going up relative to the amount of coolant you're pouring in.

#I did have one car that had a slow leak at the cooler, it turned out it was just a hose clamp on one of the hoses right at the cooler. Felt like a retard for not trying to look for the leak as the car had warranty and I let the dealer deal with it.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-12-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I think you've probably saved my family up to $1000 bucks in your advice over the months Fummy. No bullsh#t.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Dirk... It might be cheaper to take it to your own guy and pay him $50 to run a pressure test on your cooling system. That way he can tell you where it's leaking. You're going to pay the dealer $100 do do the same test. The chances of this repair not being covered by warranty is pretty good. So you might want to start with an independent shop.

If you have some free time, you can always borrow the pressure tester kit for FREE from AutoZone and try the test yourself. But if you aren't confident in what you're looking for, take it to your own shop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-12-2019),Fummins (11-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I think you've probably saved my family up to $1000 bucks in your advice over the months Fummy. No bullsh#t.
    The bill is in the mail.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey Dirk, you come across a lot of folks in your travels. I'm sure they can recommend a shop or two, and some mechanics might get mentioned so many times that it'll be an obvious choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-12-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Dirk... It might be cheaper to take it to your own guy and pay him $50 to run a pressure test on your cooling system. That way he can tell you where it's leaking. You're going to pay the dealer $100 do do the same test. The chances of this repair not being covered by warranty is pretty good. So you might want to start with an independent shop.

If you have some free time, you can always borrow the pressure tester kit for FREE from AutoZone and try the test yourself. But if you aren't confident in what you're looking for, take it to your own shop.
    Thats a good idea, but the service guy at the dealership said that they've replaced a few radiators with the warranty so its a risk Im willing to take. Besides I got my trusted mechanic already quoting me $700 to fix everything as a fall back.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Im going to eyeball the front radiator to see if I can see any bent tubing. When my fiance gets home.