Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: G4 reservoir is slowly leaking coolant. Update - solved: heater core hose.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Update: turns out it was not the radiator but heater core male part is squared off and not fitting into the hose right causing a slow leak. I wont know till Monday morning if 5 year 60k warranty will cover it. If not, its 7.5 hours of labor and a new heater core. Part is $445 and labor $1100! I cant find an aftermarket heater core online for 2017 G4 and Im assuming the labor is going to cost the same where ever I go. Unbelievable. I seriously doubt Mitsu wont weasel out of covering it. Could a goodwill discount be offered?

The problem area
    Name:  20191116_101311.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  94.9 KBName:  20191116_101311.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  94.9 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    The bill

Name:  20191116_101642.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  84.3 KB0

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Anyone got any suggestions? The good news is the tech said it still very much driveable, I just have to add coolant every other day lol.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-16-2019 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Removed profanity

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Ok rock auto has a matching heater core for $64 thank god. I figure my mechanic can order it and just charge me for the 8 hours of labor plus the $64 for the part. $445 vs $64, unbelievable the dealership markups.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the car is still under the 5/60 it should be covered
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-16-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    If the car is still under the 5/60 it should be covered
    I couldnt get a straight answer out of the service guy unfortunately. He wasnt sure, said if it had been a water pump then covered no problem. He also said the 5 year only covers internal engine and internal transmission issues, so he might just be wasting my time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    5/60 is the bumper to bumper warranty. 10/100 (if she bought the car new) is just the powertrain.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I couldnt get a straight answer out of the service guy unfortunately. He wasnt sure, said if it had been a water pump then covered no problem. He also said the 5 year only covers internal engine and internal transmission issues, so he might just be wasting my time.

I'm not sure I understand "squared off". And why only now leaking? Haven't you had this car for a while? Has this car been in a wreck?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    5/60 is the bumper to bumper warranty. 10/100 (if she bought the car new) is just the powertrain.
    He is totally right! Can't believe a service tech told you otherwise. That's being a moron!

5-year/60,000 mile warranty is a bumper-to-bumper warranty, & it transfers to a 2nd owner. It would not cover wear items like brakes, but it should cover most everything else. A 5-year/60,000 mile warranty is why some people may consider a used Mirage in the first place.

10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty doesn't transfer to the 2nd owner, but that's irrelevant in this case.

I would go in expecting this to be fixed and filled with the proper coolant when done @ a dealership for no charge.

You should know what you have with a warranty, & you should have put him in his place immediately! Since they're being stupid on their end of things, I would have no problem being assertive with them. I would, however, be a nice prick about it. You do want them to do a good job. Warranties do put you at the mercy of dealerships.

Plan B would be an aftermarket heater core and an independent mechanic. Glad to hear it's not a blown head gasket.

You have made this statement a few times - That Mirages are dealer dependent. I don't agree with that at all. A longer warranty than most other cars, however, does keep them in the loop longer. I've said this many times - I would only use a dealer for warranty or recall work. I wouldn't even use a dealer for general maintenance. It's a simple car to work on. Some mechanics may even find it a pleasure to work on compared to a lot of other stuff out there.

Good luck with your repairs!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I wonder what Mitsubishi Motors North America would have to say about this whole situation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)