Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: G4 reservoir is slowly leaking coolant. Update - solved: heater core hose.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Good suggestion, too! Wonder what a plumber's auto rates are?

I question the strength of the clamps that are used on these type of hoses. I wonder if a stainless steel one that can be tightened would do a much better job of sealing off the leak?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2595/202309385

Then again you could have a faulty heater core like the ones being discussed in another thread. If the dealer replaces your heater core for this issue, this could be a huge blessing in disguise for solving another more major future issue.
    Heater core is fine, no issues with passenger vent not blowing enough heat or defrosting. Our Mirages defrost like a champ and its been cold down here lately. Ill post what Mitsu says tomorrow about warranty replacement and remind them it was the engine replacement that caused all of this. Theres no other explanation for why the tube would be bent. Theyre the ones that alerted us that there was an engine replacement done at another Mitsu dealership. I brought the G4 in for a cvt fluid change and they were like "There's no need, this car just got a new engine and protocol states the cvt fluid is changed when this happens.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Heater core is fine, no issues with passenger vent not blowing enough heat or defrosting. Our Mirages defrost like a champ and its been cold down here lately. Ill post what Mitsu says tomorrow about warranty replacement and remind them it was the engine replacement that caused all of this. Theres no other explanation for why the tube would be bent. Theyre the ones that alerted us that there was an engine replacement done at another Mitsu dealership. I brought the G4 in for a cvt fluid change and they were like "There's no need, this car just got a new engine and protocol states the cvt fluid is changed when this happens.
    If everything is working fine, I would feel better about them trying to fix the bent tube without yanking the heater core. Unlike independent mechanics, dealerships aren't as good about giving repair options. If they assure you that they can fix the problem with no cost to you, I guess that I would go that route.

Good luck tomorrow!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thank you Mark. I did find a part on Rock Auto if it comes down to it. $65 heater core same part # if it comes down to changing it out. The dealership quoted me 7.5 hrs labor. That sound right to anybody? They said they'd have to take the whole dash off. Seems alot of time for these simple cars.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Name:  Screenshot_20191117-155420.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  93.0 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    ...dealership quoted me 7.5 hrs labor. That sound right to anybody?
    Yes...you have to lower the steering column and remove the entire dash. Check this thread for an overview of how it's done:

DIY Heater Core Replacement

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-17-2019)

Yeah to do it the way the mfg recommends you gotta pull the dash. There was a 2 post wonder(member)that claimed he changed his in a few hours. I assume he just uncrimped the lines from the core and slid it out. I’d try it on work cars but not on a customers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-17-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well next spring when I swap HVAC systems on my '17 I think I'm putting a new core in if I have to take the core of the '14 in the swap. I don't see why I would have to but better to plan on a new core than swap it all and a new core later.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Dirk... Talk to the service manager but keep this in mind...

The dealer needs a pre-approval from Mitsubishi to do an expensive warranty repair like this. The dealer can't do a $1400 warranty job and hope that Mitsubishi reimburses them when it's done. It doesn't work that way in the industry. A dealer won't do anything unless they call the Mitsubishi Tech Line and get a pre-approval to do this repair. If they don't get a pre-approval, the dealer won't get paid for the job.

If the Service Manager tells you there's nothing they can do at this point, don't start yelling and threatening lawsuits and all that noise. The Service Manager isn't really the one you need to convince. Just keep your cool and call Mitsubishi Customer Support. They will open up a case and assign someone to review it. These are the people that make the warranty decisions...not the shlep working the service counter at your local dealer. Just have your facts straight and be courteous when talking with these guys. If you get these guys on your side, they will tell the dealer what do do...and the dealer will do it because they will get paid if the corporate guys approve it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-18-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Dirk... Talk to the service manager but keep this in mind...

The dealer needs a pre-approval from Mitsubishi to do an expensive warranty repair like this. The dealer can't do a $1400 warranty job and hope that Mitsubishi reimburses them when it's done. It doesn't work that way in the industry. A dealer won't do anything unless they call the Mitsubishi Tech Line and get a pre-approval to do this repair. If they don't get a pre-approval, the dealer won't get paid for the job.

If the Service Manager tells you there's nothing they can do at this point, don't start yelling and threatening lawsuits and all that noise. The Service Manager isn't really the one you need to convince. Just keep your cool and call Mitsubishi Customer Support. They will open up a case and assign someone to review it. These are the people that make the warranty decisions...not the shlep working the service counter at your local dealer. Just have your facts straight and be courteous when talking with these guys. If you get these guys on your side, they will tell the dealer what do do...and the dealer will do it because they will get paid if the corporate guys approve it.
    As much as I've worked in the service field many decades ago I forgot how it works. This is excellent advice to get the squeaky wheel greased.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Im not really going to raise hell, Im a big teddy bear. Im just trying to figure out a way to prove it was the new engine job that screwed the heater core tube up. Ill found out tomorrow from them. Shouldnt it possible a good mechanic can just circle out the male metal tube part and slap the hose back on with a super tight clamp? Heat is blowing great, so I know the actual heater core isnt busted, just that one tube. This metal is soft, yes? Im shocked the Mitsubishi dealer couldnt fix these? They said all they could do was clampen the hose on harder.