Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: G4 reservoir is slowly leaking coolant. Update - solved: heater core hose.

is this the car that had the engine replaced? They probably squished the heater core tube when removing the hose. I’ve done it on accident once or twice. Unless you can prove that you might be hooped. Unless someone has a better explanation? I don’t see physical damage being covered by warranty, unless it came from factory like that(doubtful)

Myself I’d to make the tube round and seal, make sticking a smaller diameter piece of pipe into the tube or figure something out.
    Worst case replace the heater hose from where ever it starts, through the firewall and eliminate the tube that’s damaged. Just cut it under the dash and hook the hose to it. This is a terrible explanation but cheap fix to simple problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...probably squished the heater core tube when removing the hose.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Dirk...if you removed the hoses from those heater core fittings, here's what the heater core inlet/outlet tubes should look like...

Name:  core.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  42.2 KB

These tubes are rigid but they're not very strong and can easily be mis-shaped by improper hose removal or installation. Like Fummins says...it happens to the best of us. Chances are one of your heater core tubes is no longer round and looks like this...

Name:  core2.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  47.4 KB

If it's that jacked-up, it probably didn't leave the factory that way. If you aren't the original owner, then you're going to have a hard time convincing Mitsubishi that they need to give you a warranty repair on this. You can always ask.

Goodwill repair? Those are usually reserved for good dealership customers. If you bought your car new there and have paid the dealer to do all of your service, then you're a good customer. If this is the first time these guys have ever seen your face, don't hold your breath. Especially on a cheap car like the Mirage. Sometimes they will split the cost of the repair 50/50 if there are no other options and the manufacturer is feeling generous.

I would take it to your private shop for a second opinion and see if they can do something to straighten out the tubes. The dealership guys don't want to touch it and potentially make it worse. Someone at a private shop would work with it like Fummins suggested.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-18-2019),Fummins (11-16-2019),MetroMPG (12-21-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The male part of the heater core that connects isnt round, its been bent to almost a square shape? Probably when they put the new engine in? I have no idea why its only just been leaking. Im going to raise hell.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'm going to raise hell.
    Well...just be careful before you break out the flamethrower. You don't want to alienate the people that can possibly help you.

I don't know the back-story on your car...where it came from, etc. It's had a new engine installed? By whom and how long ago? Was this before you owned it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    This new engine was installed by another Mitsubishi dealership, thats now out of business, right before we got it. Its in our service tech records that a new engine was installed by another Mitsu tech. He claims he doesnt know why a new one was installed on the G4. I figure thats my best chance of getting the warranty to take care of it, them knowing that only an engine replacement can bend that port like that. Although we didnt purchase our Mirages there, we have done all our maintenance work their since March. The head service tech knows me well, I hope they can work out some sort of goodwill gesture considering we own 2 Mirages. Either way Im screwed though, glad I didnt get my hopes up. lol

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    It could be worse, at least the G4 runs fine as long as I put coolant in every other day, thats what the tech said.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Find an appropriate size needlenose pliers and using a rotating motion massage the internals of those pipes back into shape. Most needlenose pliers have rounded edges. You might have to search around some to find/borrow the right size, but that which is easily bent can be easily rounded. Just take your time and avoid causing any further damage to the soft metal pipes (I'm guessing it's aluminum.)

It's just a pipe. Between you and the pipe, I put my money on you.

You got this Dirk. Go git 'em!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Find an appropriate size needlenose pliers and using a rotating motion massage the internals of those pipes back into shape. Most needlenose pliers have rounded edges. You might have to search around some to find/borrow the right size, but that which is easily bent can be easily rounded. Just take your time and avoid causing any further damage to the soft metal pipes (I'm guessing it's aluminum.)

It's just a pipe. Between you and the pipe, I put my money on you.

You got this Dirk. Go git 'em!!
    Also maybe consider an adjustable hose clamp vs. the oem clamp. Tighter seal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

daleWV (11-17-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    I would ask the local plumber to correct the pipe. If he or his competition can't do it, and only there after, I then would think about other measures.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I would ask the local plumber to correct the pipe. If he or his competition can't do it, and only there after, I then would think about other measures.
    Good suggestion, too! Wonder what a plumber's auto rates are?

I question the strength of the clamps that are used on these type of hoses. I wonder if a stainless steel one that can be tightened would do a much better job of sealing off the leak?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2595/202309385

Then again you could have a faulty heater core like the ones being discussed in another thread. If the dealer replaces your heater core for this issue, this could be a huge blessing in disguise for solving another more major future issue.