Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: G4 reservoir is slowly leaking coolant. Update - solved: heater core hose.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why convert to Prestone green?

Last edited by AtomicPunk; 11-15-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Duh, cause Steve said to!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-15-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Unfortunately these cars have an amazingly small coolant capacity. The entire cooling system of a Mirage is roughly 1 gallon. So you really don't want to be in the habit of regularly running low on coolant. If you have to keep adding coolant, find out why and get it fixed (like you're doing).

Attachment 15922
    Good to know, but Im still perplexed she drove around for over a week with her coolant tank almost empty and experienced no overheating. Tough lil engines I think.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Good to know, but Im still perplexed she drove around for over a week with her coolant tank almost empty and experienced no overheating. Tough lil engines I think.
    Hey Dirk, before you noticed this low coolant condition, when was the last time you checked it? Just wondering how long you think it's been low. I think you said every other week? Can't remember.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Duh, cause Steve said to!
    Oh! Alrighty then!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Dirk, before you noticed this low coolant condition, when was the last time you checked it? Just wondering how long you think it's been low. I think you said every other week? Can't remember.
    Everyday since Monday, Ive checked it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    It's hard to diagnose an issue like this through a forum. I would have a professional look it over soon.

It could be something as simple as loose hose or something more. These 3-cylinder engines do vibrate a bit, and that could cause a hose to loosen up a bit. You may have a leak somewhere else, too. Any good mechanic should be able to fix the problem for you. Riding a bike is probably the only way to avoid ever having an issue. Mechanical things break sometime. It comes with owning stuff.

It seemed like every winter (during the coldest days of the year) a radiator hose clamp would leak on my 1990 Ford Festiva. I would just tighten it back up, & it was good for another year. I haven't noticed this issue with my Mirage, but anything is possible.

As far as antifreeze goes, I would really stick with what is recommended. I would even take the jug of what you have been adding, & demand the same type of antifreeze is used. Unlike years ago, there are lot of different products on the market. I wouldn't allow someone to mix different types of antifreeze in my Mirage. That's the main benefit of doing most minor service work yourself. You can control those type of things.

For someone like you that doesn't work on cars much, I would be a bit more assertive and direct. Most good mechanics will not mind that. A good business wants happy customers.

Even if you take it to a dealership, I would be assertive about what they put in your car after the work is done. I have a lot of respect for Steve & his cheap plastic car. In his case, he totally flushed his cooling system & changed to something else. I see no need for that. A gallon of what is recommended isn't any more expensive than the green stuff.

It's good that you recognize a problem. I would just have it taken care of asap. We're all speculating what's wrong anyways. Hopefully, it's not anything big!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's hard to diagnose an issue like this through a forum. I would have a professional look it over soon.

It could be something as simple as loose hose or something more. These 3-cylinder engines do vibrate a bit, and that could cause a hose to loosen up a bit. You may have a leak somewhere else, too. Any good mechanic should be able to fix the problem for you. Riding a bike is probably the only way to avoid ever having an issue. Mechanical things break sometime. It comes with owning stuff.

It seemed like every winter (during the coldest days of the year) a radiator hose clamp would leak on my 1990 Ford Festiva. I would just tighten it back up, & it was good for another year. I haven't noticed this issue with my Mirage, but anything is possible.

As far as antifreeze goes, I would really stick with what is recommended. I would even take the jug of what you have been adding, & demand the same type of antifreeze is used. Unlike years ago, there are lot of different products on the market. I wouldn't allow someone to mix different types of antifreeze in my Mirage. That's the main benefit of doing most minor service work yourself. You can control those type of things.

For someone like you that doesn't work on cars much, I would be a bit more assertive and direct. Most good mechanics will not mind that. A good business wants happy customers.

Even if you take it to a dealership, I would be assertive about what they put in your car after the work is done. I have a lot of respect for Steve & his cheap plastic car. In his case, he totally flushed his cooling system & changed to something else. I see no need for that. A gallon of what is recommended isn't any more expensive than the green stuff.

It's good that you recognize a problem. I would just have it taken care of asap. We're all speculating what's wrong anyways. Hopefully, it's not anything big!
    Where was this 6 pages ago?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Yeah, I could have phrased that better. I should have asked how often you checked it before you noticed it was low. I mean, is there any chance it's been low since you got it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yeah, I could have phrased that better. I should have asked how often you checked it before you noticed it was low. I mean, is there any chance it's been low since you got it?
    I think its a relatively new leak because if it was longer that engine would of overheated. I check our car fluids about every 2 weeks. I want to know how theyre going to grade whether the damaged is approved for warranty. Will there be evidence of rock damage or can they just say that to avoid the labor of fixing it? And if this has anything to do with the mysterious engine replacement that we found out about right after we bought it? Mitsu couldnt or wouldnt tell us the cause of the replacement.