Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: G4 reservoir is slowly leaking coolant. Update - solved: heater core hose.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just looked, they don't have a vent hose. That's too fancy and expensive. Instead they just punched a hole near the top of the bottle. It's kinda hard to see, it's about 1/2" from the top. Just a little bump in the plastic on the Drivers(lh) of tank. Smoke more, worry less.
    I got a fat spliff in my hand as I write this, I thank you and salute you. Radiator is considered apart of the drivetrain correct?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Y’all are overthinking this. It honestly sounds like he has a radiator leak. Visually inspect the radiator while the engine is hot and look for a leak. If you see moisture on the radiator, replace it. Might as well convert to Prestone green coolant as well.

If you don’t see moisture it could be a very tiny leak or a head gasket. Pouring a spoon of black pepper into the radiator is usually all you need to fix a pinhole leak.

I doubt he had a head gasket leak but a proper combustion test will give a quick answer.

This is the type of tool I use to check head gasket leaks:
    https://www.amazon.com/Block-Tester-...3681304&sr=8-1

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-13-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Y’all are overthinking this. It honestly sounds like he has a radiator leak. Visually inspect the radiator while the engine is hot and look for a leak. If you see moisture on the radiator, replace it. Might as well convert to Prestone green coolant as well.

If you don’t see moisture it could be a very tiny leak or a head gasket. Pouring a spoon of black pepper into the radiator is usually all you need to fix a pinhole leak.

I doubt he had a head gasket leak but a proper combustion test will give a quick answer.

That black pepper trick sounds cool. I think Ill try that! Just regular ground black pepper or course, chunky ground black pepper? About a tablespoon worth you say?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    That black pepper trick sounds cool. I think Ill try that! Just regular ground black pepper or course, chunky ground black pepper? About a tablespoon worth you say?
    Course ground pepper and yes a tablespoon is plenty. Let your engine cool and you have to add it to the radiator itself by opening the radiator cap and adding it. Do not put it in the overflow reservoir. It’s only a temporary fix and you’ll have to flush your cooling system when you get it fixed permanently. I’d avoid it unless you had no other choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Ahh temporary fix. Ill forgo then.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Well at least we know one thing, these engines can go 10 dsys with little coolant without any idiot lights or smoking lol. Perhaps the coolant sucked into the engine is what's keeping that from happening? Tough lil cars.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Any theories on my last statement? Is there like a reserve of coolant in the radiator or engine? Something had to be in there after 10 days and no over heating. The car is driven 50 miles a day, 5 days a week.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Bring the G4 into the dealership tomorrow morning. Ill let everyone know. Assuming they can even diagnose the issue fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-15-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Removed profanity.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

When you say moisture on the radiator, do I just feel around for it? The fan area, or the front mesh area? Where exactly?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Is there like a reserve of coolant in the radiator or engine?
    Unfortunately these cars have an amazingly small coolant capacity. The entire cooling system of a Mirage is roughly 1 gallon. So you really don't want to be in the habit of regularly running low on coolant. If you have to keep adding coolant, find out why and get it fixed (like you're doing).

Name:  coolant.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  84.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-15-2019)