Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manual Transmission Oil Analysis @ 75,000 miles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Since I discovered a parcel drop place just 5 minutes from my house ordering from the US has now become financially sound. Amazon has a drop locker as well close to the parcel place so I can't lose!

Unless customs on either side decides to tear my little Mirage apart. I doubt it. I don't trip any of the red flags. Also, I noticed US customs people are a blast to talk to. One guy shares my love of amps and guitars, a gal was into flying, another time I went through without a Passport! I forgot it but the US guy was so cool he let me in. I was just mailing an Ebay item back via US post.

So, Redline it is for me. A gallon will set me back $78 CDN. It does both my cars for 100,000 miles (my planned interval). It's a decent deal if you ask me.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I plan on using Redline in my 5 speed Outlander Sport when it’s time to change also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I plan on using Redline in my 5 speed Outlander Sport when itÂ’s time to change also.
    I thought that I would revive an old thread rather than start a new one. There's been a lot of discussion about changing CVT fluid on the forum. If I owned a CVT, I would be changing my CVT fluid quite religiously (every 30,000 miles minimum). From what others share, it seems warranted. For whatever reason, a CVT seems to really heat up the fluid at times. I would be curious about the temperature of manual transmission fluid (under identical driving conditions).

Back to manuals -

I dropped my manual transmission fluid @ 30,000 miles, & I replaced it with Redline MTL.

For those who haven't done it, changing manual transmission fluid is quite easy. You drain the fluid (less than 2 quarts). Put the drain plug back in, and fill it back up to the fill hole. Once oil starts coming out of the fill hole, you replace that plug & you're done! There's no dip stick to read or filters to be concerned about. Quite simple!

When I dropped my factory manual transmission oil @ 30,000 miles, it looked both clean & clear. I had zero concerns about it. It really looked good! Thus, I decided that I would change my manual transmission fluid again @ 80,000 miles (50,000 mile interval). I don't have to stick to that plan if my fluid doesn't look great next time.

I do engine oil/filter changes every 5,000 miles, & I am content with that. I am nearing 69,000 miles with my Mirage.

I am curious to hear from those who have more or less miles on their manual Mirages. What's your plan for manual transmission fluid changes?

It takes less than 2 quarts, & it's relatively easy to do (if you have a long tubed funnel).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-29-2022),mohammad (08-29-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My first two changes will be at 30K intervals and my third and future changes will be at 60K intervals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Mark (08-29-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    My Mirage is a CVT but my manual OS / RVR I changed the manual transmission oil with Redline MTL at 30000 miles. I have 50000 miles on it now. Future plans are to change it again at 60000 miles, 100000 miles, then every 50000 miles after that (150000 miles, 200000 miles etc...).

I have one of these to fill the transmission after draining.

https://slipperypete.com/products/qu...pr_seq=uniform

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Mark (08-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    My Mirage is a CVT but my manual OS / RVR I changed the manual transmission oil with Redline MTL at 30000 miles. I have 50000 miles on it now. Future plans are to change it again at 60000 miles, 100000 miles, then every 50000 miles after that (150000 miles, 200000 miles etc...).

I have one of these to fill the transmission after draining.

https://slipperypete.com/products/qu...pr_seq=uniform
    I like hearing what others are doing, because the maintenance schedule is a bit confusing in some respects.

Every 30,000 miles -

Schedule 1: "Change manual transaxle/transmission oil" - exact quote copied & pasted.

Schedule 2: "Check manual transaxle/transmission oil level and condition" - exact quote also

The cost of having an oil lab report done wouldn't be much cheaper than just changing out the 1.7 quarts of oil.

On a positive note - I paid $64.90/gallon for Redline MTL in August of 2019 (Amazon with free shipping). Today it costs $64.99/gallon (Amazon with free shipping). Given the current rate of inflation on most everything, a 9 cent increase after 3 years is surprising!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    I live just a few minutes away from the ROWE factory, and Thursdays and Fridays their outlet is open to the public.
    Paid 2x €9.- for two bottles of ROWE 75W80 GL4/GL5 fully synthetic gearbox oil. I guess you can't get it any better.
    The almost identical AISIN gearbox is also part of the Toyota AYGO, and Toyota recommend straight 75W GL4.

The first gearbox oil change was done at 100000km (60 000miles). It was fully clear and without any visible particles at all. Although there is a magnet inside, I added a magnetic drain plug. Beware, there is a length limit! If the drain plug is too long on the inside, there will be serious problems.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would be careful with any gl5 rated oils, even the dual rated with gl4. You don't want to damage your synchros. Could be fine depending on additives, but it is a risk.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    I would be careful with any gl5 rated oils, even the dual rated with gl4. You don't want to damage your synchros. Could be fine depending on additives, but it is a risk.

I thoroughly understand this. The formulation on European GL4/GL5 rated oils is such, that the performance is as of GL5, but does not damage messing or other alloys that GL5 would erode. A GL4/GL5 rated oil can be used for both sorts.
    If you would put a straight GL5 oil in the gearbox, the parts inside would soon become covered with a black slime, actually decomposing messing alloy usually from the synchro-rings.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's the first I've heard of this... What does the GL5 do to transmission stuff,???,, Where is the info from The Transmission manufacturers ??? I ask as I work on some Highway Transport trucks & haven't been told of this, but if true I should know as a transmission for a Class 8 truck is worth more then our cars....??? Just Thoughts.... Post the Link Info for us Please... Hey, maybe we just started another ""The Best Oil"" Thread... Let it begin

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)