Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running large diameter tires - anyone doing it? how large?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Running large diameter tires - anyone doing it? how large?

As luck would have it I found alloy rims that I really like, 15"

Now, the unexpected bonus. Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus !!! Exactly the tires I want to run.

185R55/15, 23' diameter, only 3% larger than stock, nope, not this size
    185R60/15 23.7" diameter, 6% larger diameter, nope, not this size either

185R65-15, 24" diameter, a full 10% larger

Does anyone think I'll get away with this combination without having any rubbing?
    There will only ever be myself and my daughter or myself and my partner in the car.
    I plan on putting the VW spring in the big which are proven to increase the ride a about 1.5"

But it's the front I'm worried about with full lock turning.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I don't know if this guy is around any more, but here is a photo of those tires on a Mirage...

185-65-15 Tires on Mini Cooper Wheels

I know that 185-60-15s will work...because this guy on fuelly.com was running them. I'm pretty sure this is an old member of the forum who no longer posts here.

I'm going to guess that you might get a slight about of front fenderwell rubbing under very unusual conditions. It must not be a big deal because the guy above with the Mini Cooper wheels never mentioned it.

I would go for it if they are a good deal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I don't know if this guy is around any more, but here is a photo of those tires on a Mirage...

I know that 185-60-15s will work...because this guy on fuelly.com was running them. I'm pretty sure this is an old member of the forum who no longer posts here.

I'm going to guess that you might get a slight about of front fenderwell rubbing under very unusual conditions. It must not be a big deal because the guy above with the Mini Cooper wheels never mentioned it.

Those were really interesting reads. I remember reading that topic when it was posted and thought to myself I'll never run larger tires because my mileage will plummet. But some dude there is running even taller tires with 185R70-14, a good 1/4" taller and he never mentioned any rubbing.

They are good deal if he takes my offer. Really sweet 5 spoke rims and the 422s for $275. If I bought them separately I'd be willing to pay a buck fifty for the rims leaving me paying a buck and quarter for the used tires. Then I'd still have mount and balance costs.

I'll post up if I get them. The BIG downside is there's no way I'm going to mount these now as winter just started all guns blazing.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The BIG downside is there's no way I'm going to mount these now as winter just started all guns blazing.
    Yeah...those 422s are marginal snow tires at best. I run them year-round because our average yearly snowfall is only 17 inches.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hey, red Mirage guy here, I'm still around! I actually goofed on that post. The tires there are 185/60-15. Sorry for the confusion!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kerc For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a quote from that fuelly thread. Remember this guy has 185-60-15s on 15x5.5 Mini Cooper wheels...

...At certain points in turning the front wheels the outer edge of the tread is so close to the fender liners that I can't stick my finger between them.

...Never heard them rub, another half inch anywhere and they would rub...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah...those 422s are marginal snow tires at best. I run them year-round because our average yearly snowfall is only 17 inches.
    I'm guessing the Falls got half of that or more last night. A real mes, and now all is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kerc View Post
    Hey, red Mirage guy here, I'm still around! I actually goofed on that post. The tires there are 185/60-15. Sorry for the confusion!
    Oh oh, somebodies tires are smaller than what I thought and the clearance is limited.

Here's a quote from that fuelly thread. Remember this guy has 185-60-15s on 15x5.5 Mini Cooper wheels...
    I need the offset of the local alloy wheels and of the Mini wheels. I'm sure the standard alloys are 46? Yes?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I need the offset of the local alloy wheels and of the Mini wheels. I'm sure the standard alloys are 46? Yes?
    You might be able to find your answers here:

Wheels: What Else Fits the Mirage? (With photos)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    185/65r15 will be way too big. Not happening even with the VW spring mod because the fronts will rub.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You might be able to find your answers here:

Wheels: What Else Fits the Mirage? (With photos)
    There are so many that I really like, really, really, like. Having multiple sets to suit the day isn't practical. Thanks for those charts, they're going to be my bible for alloy searches.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    185/65r15 will be way too big. Not happening even with the VW spring mod because the fronts will rub.
    Johnny, thanks. You both saved me from a great deal of misery and money out of my pocket. Cheers