Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running large diameter tires - anyone doing it? how large?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im about to put on some 225/35/17's
    Anyone do this yet? its very very close to the same diameter as stock

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I know of one member that was running 17's but he was using 205/40R17 with no clearance issues.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...(Garage-entry)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My concern would be with warranty claims if you ever have to bring the car in to Dealer. They could deny a valid warranty claim. You would have to keep the old tires and wheels in storage and re-install them before bringing car to Dealer. In my opinion the inconvenience is too great. And fuel economy will suffer 4 certain.

I went thru a "tinkering/modding" phase back when I was 28. After watching "Fast and the Furious" movie I was inspired to go "hog wild" with lowering springs, fancy rims, rear spoiler. I spent about $1000 and i got plenty of compliments. But soon had to pay another $350 for a custom alignment job and in the end when i sold the car i did not get reimbursed for any of my upgrades. It was a fun project but certainly not practical.

But i cant fault anyone for wanting to tinker and mod. It is a fun hobby but it is an expensive and non-practical one. But it is a choice we all have to make for ourselves.
    Last edited by fc321; 12-09-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    My concern would be with warranty claims if you ever have to bring the car in to Dealer. They could deny a valid warranty claim. You would have to keep the old tires and wheels in storage and re-install them before bringing car to Dealer. In my opinion the inconvenience is too great. And fuel economy will suffer 4 certain.
    If the warranty issue was with the suspension or brakes I would agree, but it won't invalidate the warranty for the rest of the car (Magnuson Act in the USA). Now the rest of the world I can't speak to. As for as fuel economy goes my guess is that you'd lose between 6-10mpg running that size tire. If getting 30-34mpg is ok then go for it if your budget allows. Also, noise will increase dramatically and with that low of a profile of tire you better level in a area with excellent highways because the first pothole will do you in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyskillz View Post
    Im about to put on some 225/35/17's
    What are the specs on the wheel (width and offset) and is your car lowered?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If the warranty issue was with the suspension or brakes I would agree, but it won't invalidate the warranty for the rest of the car (Magnuson Act in the USA). Now the rest of the world I can't speak to. As for as fuel economy goes my guess is that you'd lose between 6-10mpg running that size tire. If getting 30-34mpg is ok then go for it if your budget allows. Also, noise will increase dramatically and with that low of a profile of tire you better level in a area with excellent highways because the first pothole will do you in.
    Yes but do you remember that post a few months back when someone had a CVT transmission claim denied by dealership on account that they had changed to larger wheels and tires? Mitsubishi makes a great car but the dealerships often look for any reason to invalidate a warranty claim. Its the dealership we have to be concerned about.

I often tell people:

The Dealership is not your friend. And the Government is not your friend. Both entities would rather "take" from you than to give.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    You would have to keep the old tires and wheels in storage and re-install them before bringing car to Dealer.
    You could always do that. Also since the JATCO CVT7 was also used in the Nissan Juke with 17' & 18' rims OEM I wouldn't worry about tire size contributing to CVT failure. Lack of maintenance and heat will kill any CVT prematurely. Myself, I'm still running OEM 14" rims and have seriously considered dropping down to 13" rims (only a option on the 2014's & 2015's) because of weight savings and tires are super inexpensive in 13" sizes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-09-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    We need to compile a list of all tire sizes used across all the markets.

If a dealer tries to deny a warranty driveline claim for running, say 175R65-14s, then make them explain why a Mirage from country or market XYZ with those same size tires still has a factory warranty.

If all of the other driveline part numbers are the same then obviously running a size tire used elsewhere in the world has no bearing on premature failure of driveline parts.

I think if push comes to shove and a warranty claim is denied because you are running a tire size not used anywhere else in the world you can still push for warranty coverage if the physical characteristics of your tires closely match tires used in any other market.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-09-2019),inuvik (12-09-2019)

I haven't heard of that one. Maybe post the link or something? Or are you talking about the car I took in for a cvt problem and they denied warranty because there were no service records for replacing the cvt fluid. That was a car from a store 3hrs away where they have shops service their stuff. Well sorta...
    We had a cvt replaced under warranty that had 185/60r14's on it. Had they been smrt enough to realize they're not oem featherweight tires they may have been able to weasel out of warranty. But the height is the same so whatever.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Guys, that was some quick responses Im starting to like this forum alot.
    So the no i have not done anything with the car yet. Its actually my wifes car i got her this summer and to me its a awesome looking car besides these tiny tiny wheels and tires that make it look weird. Its the 4 door model not the hatch. My wife really likes the car but feels the skinny super small wheels need to go and its a shame as this is a brand new car and we have a 3 year no questions asked warrenty on the wheels and tires that are stock.
    So I took it upon my self to look up the diameter of the tires that are on it and what sizes are comparable to that diameter. here is what i foundName:  17in.png
Views: 310
Size:  97.3 KB
    Name:  16in.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  38.9 KB