Thread: Engine mount failure?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Engine mount failure?

Hello everyone. I recently spotted a 2015 mirage DE CVT on FB marketplace for $2500. Clean title with 77k miles. Looks decent but the add mentions a noise while accelerating. After speaking with the guy he said his mechanic mentioned engine mounts being the culprit.

Has there been any reports of engine mount issues around here at all? Does this diagnosis even make sense? The price seems pretty good even if I have to put a little money into it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Maybe the engine mount has problems but I would be inclined to check the exhaust hangers first.

Good price if that's the case.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-13-2019)

Being a 15', it could be heat shield on exhaust rattling, exhaust hanger popped loose from mount causing pipe to rub on suspension crossmember, rattling air cleaner, rocks jammed in the suspension crossmember where the lower dog bone mount bolts up(seen that a few times with gravel and ice).
    I assume people just look at the engine shaking away and assume it needs engine mounts. I have yet to replace one on these cars.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    Hello everyone. I recently spotted a 2015 mirage DE CVT on FB marketplace for $2500. Clean title with 77k miles. Looks decent but the add mentions a noise while accelerating. After speaking with the guy he said his mechanic mentioned engine mounts being the culprit.

Has there been any reports of engine mount issues around here at all? Does this diagnosis even make sense? The price seems pretty good even if I have to put a little money into it.
    I would have your own mechanic look at the car if the seller is open to that. Eliminate the risk. If it is engine mounts, having a quote of what it may be to fix that would be helpful. If it's not the engine mounts and something simple like an exhaust issue, $2,500 seems like a great deal.

Someone like Loren has replaced an engine. He may have an opinion on the durability of the engine mounts?

Even if it needs engine mounts. Big deal, they're easy to change and could probably just get some used ones for cheap. But like I said, I've never needed to replace one in these cars yet. I've changed a bunch in our Sonics around 200k kms. They would vibrate the car pretty bad while in drive.

What kind of noise while accelerating? Mounts cause vibration. If it changes depending on speed I'd be looking at wheel bearings or worst case cvt. Find out if it varies by speed or load?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha I saw that same car for sale. Wish I had the extra scratch to pick it up but I need another car like a hole in the head.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Did you check the CVT fluid? If I bought a used CVT Mirage with over 75k miles, Id be going over tranny maintenance records. If the fluid was changed at a dealership at the very least once, and still had the pale brownish green look, Id consider it. At this point, Im pretty much not going to change the filters, just the fluid.

Last edited by Eggman; 11-16-2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Removed profanity