Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather - Not great car

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Angry Cold Weather - Not great car

I put a fair amount of miles on my 2018 SE. I have had it for 14 months. 30,000 miles and counting. This has got to be the second worst car for winter I have ever owned. My 1968 VW Beetle was worse!!
    Please know, this car handles great in the snow. It drives well. It runs well. Great gas mileage. However, I cannot keep the windows defrosted/defogged for anything. I find it ridiculous that just to keep the front window from fogging up, the heat is set at 89 degrees, the little * thing is on, the fan is all the way up and still it struggles to keep the windows from re-frosting up. Not to mention my feet freeze because I cannot turn it on anything but the defrost or the drivers window fogs up within minutes. My commute is about 42 miles each way. 5 days each week. Up here in the upper Mid-West we have just started our winter and this car is just terrible. I had forgotten how bad it actually was over the summer months.
    I have tried everything I can think of. Even opening the back door window a crack to allow more airflow... That doesn't work either.
    My car was brand new when I bought it. 25 miles on the dial.
    I shall see. But if nothing changes, I may have to consider letting this one go and picking up a different car. (yes, for me it is that bad)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Turn on the AC compressor and switch the vent to pull in air from outside. Should solve your issue.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Griff151 For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-13-2019),iriegnome (11-13-2019),Pryme (11-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just going to ask: is the air selector on fresh air or recirc? You want recirc for coldest a/c, but fresh for winter. Sometimes folks forget that, especially in a quick change in the seasons. That's the first thing I'd check.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Pryme (11-14-2019)

For some reason none of our 40ish mirages at work have that problem. Even with soaking wet floors 1/2 the year. All our cars have manual temp controls but that shouldn't make a difference. The only time I recall one of our drivers complaining was when they had the air recirculating rather than set to fresh air. I wonder if one of your blend door motors are nfg or heater core leaking?

There have been others on the forum with similar complaints.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    I put a fair amount of miles on my 2018 SE. I have had it for 14 months. 30,000 miles and counting. This has got to be the second worst car for winter I have ever owned. My 1968 VW Beetle was worse!!
    Please know, this car handles great in the snow. It drives well. It runs well. Great gas mileage. However, I cannot keep the windows defrosted/defogged for anything. I find it ridiculous that just to keep the front window from fogging up, the heat is set at 89 degrees, the little * thing is on, the fan is all the way up and still it struggles to keep the windows from re-frosting up. Not to mention my feet freeze because I cannot turn it on anything but the defrost or the drivers window fogs up within minutes. My commute is about 42 miles each way. 5 days each week. Up here in the upper Mid-West we have just started our winter and this car is just terrible. I had forgotten how bad it actually was over the summer months.
    I have tried everything I can think of. Even opening the back door window a crack to allow more airflow... That doesn't work either.
    I shall see. But if nothing changes, I may have to consider letting this one go and picking up a different car. (yes, for me it is that bad)
    Mine was bad a few weeks ago. Mice built a nest on top of cabin filter. Completely clogged. No issues now & I live in Wisconsin.

I had hickory nuts stored by engine air filter, too. All good now.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-13-2019),iriegnome (11-13-2019),poorman1 (11-15-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    This is my 6th winter driving with my Mirage. Honestly, I have no recommendations to you, other than maybe give your Mirage a bit more time. I live in Ontario where winters are comparable.

Mirage's cabin doesn't heat up that well, like once the temperatures dip below -10 C (20 F). I usually have some outlines of frost on the windshield still after 20-30 minutes of driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Air selector is on Fresh. I will check the cabin air filter, but this has been like this since new (but I did not change it at 1 year).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Something I did when I had my Nissan in High School was keep a sock of kitty litter on the dash, worked like a charm. That little crap box barley made heat in the winter.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Griff151 For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Mine was bad a few weeks ago. Mice built a nest on top of cabin filter. Completely clogged. No issues now & I live in Wisconsin.

I had hickory nuts stored by engine air filter, too. All good now.
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Apologies to Mel Torme:

The Mirage Song

Hickory nuts roasting on a 1.2

Mouse nest, clogging your air flow…

Start up noise, for a second or two

Until you get in gear and go

Everybody knows, Dirk’s posts about his CVT

Help to keep the forum light

New members, with their questions to ask

Will post their threads into the night…

They know that Eggman’s on his way

He’s reading every post and update, every day

And every one of us, wants to know

Just how far Stevedmc’s Mirage will go…

And so we’re offering this simple car

A basic transport that will shine.

Although it’s been said

Many times, many ways

Change your fluids, you’ll be fine.
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 11-13-2019 at 07:16 PM.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-16-2019),daleWV (11-15-2019),Dirk Diggler (11-15-2019),Eggman (11-13-2019),inuvik (11-13-2019),iriegnome (11-13-2019),Mirageman38 (11-15-2019),Pryme (11-14-2019),timw4mail (11-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Apologies to Mel Torme:
    I nominate this for Post of the Year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-13-2019)