Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I nominate this for Post of the Year.
    I agree

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Griff151 For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-14-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I spent a winter where it was more often below 0F than above. Do as suggested, check the filter, make sure recirc is set to fresh and by all means adjust the dash outermost outlets to do the most work keeping the side windows clear.

At some point did a huge quantity of liquid get spilled in your car and not allowed to thoroughly dry?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My 17 SE has bad heat output when going down the highway. For example, start out with 75F in the cabin, drive down the highway, and then feel the temperature drop. I put my hands on the vents and the air is luke warm at best. I up the temperature to 78 or so and the heat comes back. Then, I need to turn it back to 75F because it's too hot. Then the process starts all over again. It doesn't seem to do it when I'm driving around town. I asked a dealer about it last week and they said "it's common on Mitsubishi cars with climate control." WTF? Michigan is cold this time of the year! ;-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdeezy For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdeezy View Post
    My 17 SE has bad heat output when going down the highway. For example, start out with 75F in the cabin, drive down the highway, and then feel the temperature drop. I put my hands on the vents and the air is luke warm at best. I up the temperature to 78 or so and the heat comes back. Then, I need to turn it back to 75F because it's too hot. Then the process starts all over again. It doesn't seem to do it when I'm driving around town. I asked a dealer about it last week and they said "it's common on Mitsubishi cars with climate control." WTF? Michigan is cold this time of the year! ;-)
    I driven across Wisconsin (2017 ES with manual climate controls) to my parents (approximately 4 hour trip) in -20F temperatures a couple times with no issues. My Mirage throws more heat than my old 1990 Ford Festiva (1.3 L, 63 hp) did.

I don't turn the heat up to maximum until the engine water temperature rises (approximate 1-2 miles down the road). When the green cold engine temperature light goes out, I then turn the heat up to maximum. Not sure it make a huge difference, but I figure its not throwing much warm air until the engine warms up anyways.

When I use my engine block heater, the cold engine temperature light does go out a bit sooner.

Could a Mirage that's struggling to heat up have a PTC heater issue (blown fuse, faulty or missing unit)? I don't know enough about them, but it seems odd that some cars would be that much better than others.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It would be helpful to monitor coolant temperature. I was using a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter and monitoring coolant temperature (and other parameters) on my phone. What I found is my Mirage has a hard time warming up and staying warm in freezing temperatures.

There are a few things that can be done to help raise this coolant temperature. One is a grill block. I wouldn't recommend using a grill block in temperatures above 50℉ (10℃.) A warm air intake helps raise air temps going into the engine. The engine can also be wrapped in insulation.

The grill block is simple and cost-effective. Warm air intakes have been a part of automotive design for decades, and it is arguably built in to the Mirage 3A92 air intake system as to how it essentially wraps around the engine block. Engine block heaters and wraps are not uncommon in cold climates.

These are all techniques used and discussed here on this forum. Let us know if you would like to learn more about them.

The Mirage is very efficient and doesn't generate a whole lot of waste heat. Not sure if this is even a contributing factor here, but it's worth considering.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (11-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if transmission factors into the heat issue? In this recent cold snap, I've got good heat going down the highway, but my 5 speed is turning 3-4 grand on the tach. Those CVT's are so dang efficient, always seeking the lowest rpm; less rpm = less engine heat. Just a theory...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    ...I cannot keep the windows defrosted/defogged for anything.
    I have also noticed that if there's any excess moisture in my car and the temps are below 20, my car struggles at times to keep the windshield clear. I am using Rain-X Anti-Fog and it helps a little.

If the temps are really cold and you need a quick grill block, go spend $3 on a length of pipe insulation at a big box store. You can cut it to length and wedge it into your lower grill area in about 2 minutes. When it's cold, block it 100%. When temps get above 50 or so, remove 1 piece. I run my car year round like this with no adverse affects...

Name:  grill_block.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  91.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-14-2019),iriegnome (11-14-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Apologies to Mel Torme:

The Mirage Song

Hickory nuts roasting on a 1.2

Mouse nest, clogging your air flow…

Start up noise, for a second or two

Until you get in gear and go

Everybody knows, Dirk’s posts about his CVT

Help to keep the forum light

New members, with their questions to ask

Will post their threads into the night…

They know that Eggman’s on his way

He’s reading every post and update, every day

And every one of us, wants to know

Just how far Stevedmc’s Mirage will go…

And so we’re offering this simple car

A basic transport that will shine.

Although it’s been said

Many times, many ways

Change your fluids, you’ll be fine.
    I feel like some gangsta rap would express my emotions in regards to my CVT better.

I got 5 on it, fu#kin wit dat CVTeeed

I got 5 on it, messin wit dat indo-weeeed

I got 5 on it, strokin that top mpgeeee

I got 5 on it, pimpin hoes n slammin Cadillac doughs

Comsidering Im probably the youngest guy on here by about 20 years, sadly, I dont expect anyone on here to get any of those references. Just think of it as a sort of ghetto haiku.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-15-2019),Cobrajet (11-16-2019),Fummins (11-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I feel like some gangsta rap would express my emotions in regards to my CVT better.

I got 5 on it, fu#kin wit dat CVTeeed

I got 5 on it, messin wit dat indo-weeeed

I got 5 on it, strokin that top mpgeeee

I got 5 on it, pimpin hoes n slammin Cadillac doughs

Comsidering Im probably the youngest guy on here by about 20 years, sadly, I dont expect anyone on here to get any of those references. Just think of it as a sort of ghetto haiku.
    I got it dirk, then again I am 28

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Griff151 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post

Comsidering Im probably the youngest guy on here by about 20 years, sadly, .
    You're older than me! Old balls!

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-15-2019)