Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Washing

I just got my mirage last week. Last two days have been snow and salt. My question is how often do you wash your car or at the very least give it a rinse down in salty ****ty weather

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    I just got my mirage last week. Last two days have been snow and salt. My question is how often do you wash your car or at the very least give it a rinse down in salty ****ty weather
    I have a pass allowing daily automatic washes. I try to go through the wash a couple times per week and after each storm when clear weather is predicted. I only pay $15/month for my pass, check around in your town, maybe something similar is available.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Once a week the Mirage gets washed. Twice a year it gets a hand wash and wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I have a pass allowing daily automatic washes. I try to go through the wash a couple times per week and after each storm when clear weather is predicted. I only pay $15/month for my pass, check around in your town, maybe something similar is available.
    I wish they had something like that out here. The only monthly pass I could find was at a hand was place for $60/month. It usually costs me around $10 in most wand wash bays.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I go a couple times a month during winter to the coin op type do it yourself places and really hit the underside. Only costs 2.50

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Adding hot water to salt, and then driving the rest of the way home on still salted roads is an entirely pointless endeavour.

I wash once they stop salting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    My new complex has a DIY car wash and vaccum. Outside, once a month, bucket of armor all detergent and some mop brushes. Interior, once a week vaccum, cant have the hatch looking gross for my passengers. I had 3 grown men, plus me for one ride. Flew down the hwy into merging lanes, no problem at all maintaining 70 mph speeds at 3k rpm, still getting 39 mpg combined with those nice cheap fat Brillistas2 175s on. I used to avg 42 mpg though with the bald Potenzas.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    My new complex has a DIY car wash and vaccum. Outside, once a month, bucket of armor all detergent and some mop brushes. Interior, once a week vaccum, cant have the hatch looking gross for my passengers. I had 3 grown men, plus me for one ride. Flew down the hwy into merging lanes, no problem at all maintaining 70 mph speeds at 3k rpm, still getting 39 mpg combined with those nice cheap fat Brillistas2 175s on. I used to avg 42 mpg though with the bald Potenzas.
    Potenzas as new tires may be a little less mpg, too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    FWIW I completely avoid commercial car washes in the winter time because they recycle their water supply to save money. They filter the dirt out and use the cleaned water over and over. Unfortunately salt cant be filtered out so you end up blasting high pressure salty water into every crack and crevice on your car that you hit with the wand. Even if they replenish some of the water with fresh water there is still salt there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-17-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    Normally in wintertime I try to power-wash my Mirage around once every 2 weeks. I like to keep a good good distance between the powerwasher and my car at all times.

Then day to day I have to clean out the snow around the wheel well by hand. And wow does the snow really build up good around in the wheel wellls of my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)