Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ran over something, bent exhaust manifold!

Ran over something, bent exhaust manifold!

I've got a good one on the hoist right now. Allegedly a muffler fell off the a car and our Mirage ran it over on the freeway. I took a quick look and all looked good but muffler was a little low. Rev it up and it had a leak at the manifold. Tooka a closer look and it looks like the exhaust was pushed up and into the floor, when it was forced up the flange on the exhaust manifold was twisted! The bolts looked crooked before I unbolted it, but the flange is tweaked pretty good. Suprisingly so far all the exhaust bolts came out easily, I don't thing the manifold will come out so nicely so I'll just try to bend it back into place before trying to replace it.Attachment 15918Attachment 15919

Last edited by Fummins; 11-15-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: godamn sideways pics
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Wow, well better that than the one member that ran over a 5 gallon paint bucket or something like that and smashed the oil pan, cross member and a bunch of other stuff. I bet it made a heck of noise though when they hit it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Damn these lil cars can take a beating!

Yeah, coulda been worse. I just pulled the manifold off. Bolts came out like butter. They looked crusty but the threads were all great. I hate exhaust but this was easy. I'll post more pics later. Now I gotta go find my stash oh Mirage engines and pull a straight manifold.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Mirage videos:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (11-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...Bolts came out like butter. They looked crusty but the threads were all great.
    I was waiting for the story to take a negative turn with a broken bolt or something. It's always nice when a fastener actually comes out in 1 piece!

Edit - Where's that thread with the guy who designed his own header?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Those bolts may have come out like butter, but I still spy a BFH to help coax things along...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

That's my rim straightening device.
    Mirage videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I was waiting for the story to take a negative turn with a broken bolt or something. It's always nice when a fastener actually comes out in 1 piece!

Edit - Where's that thread with the guy who designed his own header?!?
    Yeah, I had an oh sit moment when one of the nuts broke free. Swore the stud twisted off. I would have needed a time out.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    That's my rim straightening device.
    Thats also your "bash his face in" tool.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-15-2019)