Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Ohio

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hello from Ohio

I'm currently driving a 2014, 5 speed ES that I picked up after seeing a dealer advertisement. My guess is that the high trim, manual transmission, combination was a tough sell. Frankly, I didn't want a high trim car either but have since been a little spoiled and find that I actually like the pushbutton start and automatic climate control.

I love the car. My previous car was a manual transmission Saturn ION that I bought new and pretty much hated for the 6-7 years I drove it. The Mirage has been reliable*, doesn't scrape it's nose on a two inch bump, doesn't bang my elbow with a stupid center armrest/console, doesn't have some weird lag between throttle and engine that takes me 30,000 miles of driving to get used to, doesn't fall apart and clunk and rattle... Anyway, enough of the ION PTSD. I find the Mirage very comfortable and fun to drive.

I'm a mechanical design engineer with a bunch of patents (none of any significance ) and handle most of my own car maintenance and repairs. I'm fortunate enough to be one of those who drives the Mirage by choice instead of necessity. I'm a minimalist and the Mirage fits that philosophy perfectly. My coworkers scratch their heads and think I am a little weird (I am, as are most hard core design engineers I have met). My wife calls the car a "losermobile". I think that is funny.

I have been lurking on this forum for a long time. Just this morning, after my short drive to work, I noticed that cold air was blowing out of the passenger side vents while the driver side was significantly warmer. This reinforced a feeling that my heat just wasn't working as well as I remembered. I did some googling and found a thread here describing what seems like my issue (mystery goop in heater core).

Pretty awesome! Decided I might as well subscribe so I can say thanks for that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pawpaw For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
    ...Just this morning...noticed that cold air was blowing out of the passenger side vents while the driver side was significantly warmer.
    Yeah... My 2015 has a mild case of that. I'll see how bad it is this winter when we get some really cold temps!

Welcome. There are lots of Ohio members on the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, Welcome! Another Ohio owner here. I have a 2107 G4 I picked up a month ago. Heat seems ok for now, but wondering if a pre-emptive flush isn't a good idea. I don't know how widespread the goop issue is...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey pawpaw, thanks for signing up - glad to have you around.

So, what are your plans for tackling this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What does your wife drive?

Welcome!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey pawpaw, thanks for signing up - glad to have you around.

So, what are your plans for tackling this?
    I figure I will confirm the problem next very cold morning but taking a longer route to work. If there is still a huge difference between passenger and driver side air coming in or the passenger side is still blowing cold I will call the closest dealer and hope.

A - they will recognize the problem and not try to blow me off
    B- if they recognize the problem and fix it they won't screw something else up while tearing out the instrument panel

Ancient history but I had a VW Golf long ago that had a heater core recall. I had it "fixed" while visiting my parents in New Jersey. The car was never the same again as the car was returned with an intermittent electrical problem that caused the headlights(or maybe taillights, long time ago) to randomly stop working (got pulled over on the way home). As expected the dealership refused to admit fault (we were working on the heater core) but I am almost sure they bungled up some cable or other while tearing out the dash.
    Last edited by pawpaw; 11-15-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What does your wife drive?
    A very exciting but dead reliable 2014 Honda Accord (I worked for Honda briefly about a quarter century ago...). She gets what she wants and I get what I want.

I fear when I'm at the mercy of dealerships. I cringe whenever there is a problem that "might" be covered under warranty. Our nearest Mitsu dealer has a pretty incompetent service department.

My wife just bought a new kia a few weeks ago, now I'm on the hunt for a used and abused Mirage
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome aboard!